Worlds lightest future proof wheels

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Hexsense

by Hexsense

Though not my cup of tea as I'm only interested in wider (and deeper) rim and narrower bladed spokes for aero,
I still like the attempt to make a really light wheelset.
Yeah, you oversell a bit on the "future proof" part since 23c tires may not be available in the future and I don't see a mention of how the hub can be converted wider if the industry decide to adopt road boost. But lets not take away all your credit just because of overselling words in the title.

Another idea:
Making a wheel to please road user without making it aero maybe a tough sale. Even the fatter carbon spokes got dismissed by those who swear by thin bladed spokes.
How about toughen it up a bit and sell it as Gravel and XC wheels? Those crowd are more okay with wheels that aren't aero at all.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wookski

by Wookski

veloandreas wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:23 pm
MikeD wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:24 pm
Define "future proof." Thw whole notion seems rediculous for a product that wears out and standards change.
holy cow. I was not aware of the language in this forum. I was expecting great conversations with other cycling obsessed guys. Instead the focus is on: "mom, i have found a error in the description"! whats going on here??
Welcome to WW where almost every post descends into a debate of semantics.

I love that these wheels exist but am even more fascinated with the 600g tubular rim brake wheels.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

@veloandreas wow, great build. I had a bunch of similar ones drafted a while ago, based on Pillar Ti spokes, Berds and ~280g XC hookless wheels available back then. Any tips on building with CF spokes? Do you have to drill the rims so the spokes don't bend at all (mine do a bit)? I heard CF spokes shouldn't rub together, does that affect the lacing pattern? Too bad there are no clincher rims this light, could go even lighter this way.

Aeo

by Aeo

I hope I didn't come off too negative, veloandreas did a good job turning the SES 2.3 wheels into a good product.

Some of the choices by ENVE are very weird. Why are they pairing these very light rims to old and heavy j-bend hubs?
Brass internal nipples, you can argue that this is a good choice, you can also argue that it is not the best idea for a climbing wheelset.

I am looking forward to the release of the Campagnolo climbing wheels that UAE have been using for the last months. Their solution for internal nipples looks really good, would like to see it spread and be usable on custom builds.
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

I have thought about the 2.3 as being "too narrow" as well. I am not an aero expert, but at 28mm front depth (basically the height of a tire), there are hardly any sailing effects to be expected. I don't think that there is a noticeable aero loss between a 25mm wide 28mm deep wheel with a 28mm tire mounted vs a 28mm wide, 28mm rim.
Also, ENVE has build fantastic rims when it comes to stability in my personal opinion. I love the 4.5 for descending and have loved the 7.8 for windy days on the TT machine.
With them claiming the 2.3 is their most stable wheel for descending I kinda believe them.

On topic:
Really cool project! Love the no compromise approach.
After crashing my Extralite, I'll swap out the rims with the 2.3 and the spokes with lead-filled CX-Ray. So hopefully around 1000g.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

C36

by C36

Aeo wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:35 pm
Building wheels for right now and the future, rims should be 27.5-28mm minimum, better 29 or 30mm wide.
Side note, rims with drilled holes in the channel mean the effective rim weight is +10 grams because rim tape is unavoidable.
That's quite a blanked statement that doesn't reflect different realities.
If you ride on bad roads and NEED a 28mm tire, then faire-enough, a 30mm rim with a 28mm tire will give you a wide range of pressure to play with that 25mm tires may not give you (you can go quite lower to expand the confort). Now if like OP who live in Switzerland and likely ride on similar roads than I do, you don't need 28mm tires cause the roads a very good either in CH or in the near-by France, then 25mm would be the optimal width, could even argue than a 23mm front would even be faster.

veloandreas

by veloandreas

Klaster_1 wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:21 am
@veloandreas wow, great build. I had a bunch of similar ones drafted a while ago, based on Pillar Ti spokes, Berds and ~280g XC hookless wheels available back then. Any tips on building with CF spokes? Do you have to drill the rims so the spokes don't bend at all (mine do a bit)? I heard CF spokes shouldn't rub together, does that affect the lacing pattern? Too bad there are no clincher rims this light, could go even lighter this way.
Thank you very much for the interest!!
The building with these spokes is not critical at all. As both ends are titanium it can take a slight bend load very well to have the carbon part straight. This build here has luckily the best connection between spoke nipples and rim, as the enve rims have a very well made "halfmoon" mould at the nipple seat. The nipple goes exactly in the spoke direction. No bending at all.
Also i mounted the spokes "free" on the crossings to prevent rubbing and bending. I only mount straightpull on light wheelsets, so the lacing pattern is given. So whats not to like! Lighter, stiffer, easy to build :beerchug:

veloandreas

by veloandreas

After all a little story:
I builded a wheelset. A light one. Then i was searching for a description. As im am not a marketing guy behind the desk i ended up with "worlds lightest future proof..."
Who thinks that future proof in the cycling world means ready for 10 years is of course way off! My focus is on the most obvious trend of disc brakes and tubeless tires. The rims here from enve need a closer look to get the point, that they are pretty much a milestone in road wheels construction. Not because enve is better in building rims. Its because they are the first who changed the rules and took all out of it. They are Tubeless only, means less tire pressure (here limited to 6.2bars/90psi). the rim can be muuuuuch lighter than a tubeless ready rim. Thats why future proof, because this trend (very light tubeless only rims) has started just now with the new enve wheels. Others will follow. This needs time. So till this day my wheels are future proof! :-)))))

Last word: the future is now! Cheers

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

I love this btw.... Proper weight weenies behaviour so massive thumbs up from me how do they ride?

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

LouisN

by LouisN

MikeD wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:24 pm
Define "future proof."
Yup.
It's in the title, why not talk about it :noidea: ?
A popular saying on WW for years was :"ligh, cheap, durable,... pick two".
So when someone claims to have found the solution for durable, or time proof, it's just normal to raise an eyebrow.
I agree no need to bash on the product itself.
Time and km's will tell, meet here in 4-5 years time :beerchug: .

Louis :)

youngs_modulus

by youngs_modulus

I didn't find MikeD's line of questioning to be confrontational or out of bounds in any way. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, and I believe that's the spirit in which he asked Veloandreas to define "future-proof."

It may not be clear to a non-native English speaker just how bold the "future proof" claim sounds to native ears. It's a bit like "indestructible:" it's too good to be true.

I'm a non-native French speaker, and I've put my foot in my mouth in similar ways more times than I care to admit. I suspect this is a language issue and nothing more. If so, it's perfectly understandable.