2022 Shimano Carbon Wheels

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Christopher3000

by Christopher3000

TdF viewing has me lusting over Dura Ace C36 or C50 wheee but I don't see many shimano wheels out and about and there's not much about the latest shimano wheels online. There is mention here and there of the hubs requiring additional maintenance. Any opinions in new Shimano wheels and hub/bearing maintenance?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Christopher3000 wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:40 am
TdF viewing has me lusting over Dura Ace C36 or C50 wheee but I don't see many shimano wheels out and about and there's not much about the latest shimano wheels online. There is mention here and there of the hubs requiring additional maintenance. Any opinions in new Shimano wheels and hub/bearing maintenance?

Not the lightest, not the widest, not the best warranty or customer service. Gott really love cup+cone bearings and matchy-matchy with your Shimano drivetrain to justify the purchase over just about any of the other popular brands.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

saracen888

by saracen888

Christopher3000 wrote:
I've been riding the Dura Ace C50's for 4 months and they've been flawless.

Price wise, they're incredibly competitive and many retailers including Sigma and Wiggle have loyalty discounts applied.

Super stable, very fast and roll like a dream with GP 5000 S TR 28mm

Christopher3000

by Christopher3000

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:58 am
Christopher3000 wrote:

Not the lightest, not the widest, not the best warranty or customer service. Gott really love cup+cone bearings and matchy-matchy with your Shimano drivetrain to justify the purchase over just about any of the other popular brands.

Thanks. They seem on par in lightness with <40 mm wheels with hooked rims around $2K. I'm not worried about the width. I am wondering if there's anything to know about hub maintenance, or I guess cup and cone bearings.

NovellaNovelli

by NovellaNovelli

Have just bought a pair of the C50s though yet to ride them as my 12s bike is not ready.

Decided on them for the very same reasons you have @saracen800: for their price they outcompeted the competitors in terms of weight, fit and finish, being hooked and their width. Obviously there are other wheels out there which are lighter, wider or more exotic (i.e. new ENVEs, PCW, Rovals) though these were somewhere in the realm of 60% to 120% more expensive than the DA wheels and I couldn't really justify them. I do admit that seeing JV and Ineos tear up the TdF on the DA wheels did also influence me :lol: .

To your point about cup and cone bearings, my understanding is that there are pros and cons compared to cartridge bearings and for my own priorities (longevity, set and forget-ness) I was happy to accept the trade-offs of a cup and cone style hub.

From a servicing standpoint you do have to be quite good/confident with adjusting the preload as the 'inner race' of the bearing system is built into the hub and thus irreplaceable if you damage it through too much or too little preload. That being said I am pretty confident in this implementation of the system given Shimano's track record with these style of hubs in previous generations and also considering that their pedals (which use cup and cone bearings) are arguably the gold standard for durability.

If anyone knows any better, please feel free to pipe in, correct what i've said.

spartan

by spartan

shimano wheels new generation virtually match the best in class.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

Anybody try the new 105 wheels yet? They actually seem like a pretty good value, if you are willing to run 25c tires. 46mm deep, 28mm wide, tubeless, <1600g, about $1100

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NickyR

by NickyR

I have been riding the Ultegra R8170 C50 wheels for a month and they were excellent for the value so I can imagine that the dura ace , lighter and with better hubs, must be fantastic wheels. As said , they are stable, fast and roll smoothly.
BUT you have to know that latest ultegra/dura ace wheels have some play in their freehub. More or less, it depends on the wheels. Shimano is aware about it but doesn't communicate except to say that this play is normal/acceptable and does not affect shifting, which from my experience is true but makes it a little bit more noisy. If you consider shimano wheels you have to take it into consideration.

saracen888

by saracen888

NickyR wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:42 pm
I have been riding the Ultegra R8170 C50 wheels for a month and they were excellent for the value so I can imagine that the dura ace , lighter and with better hubs, must be fantastic wheels. As said , they are stable, fast and roll smoothly.
BUT you have to know that latest ultegra/dura ace wheels have some play in their freehub. More or less, it depends on the wheels. Shimano is aware about it but doesn't communicate except to say that this play is normal/acceptable and does not affect shifting, which from my experience is true but makes it a little bit more noisy. If you consider shimano wheels you have to take it into consideration.
Interesting. I didn't know there was acknowledged freehub play. Worth keeping an eye on in that case but so far so good.

mika

by mika

Hi, is it possible to solve the play in the freehub?

C36

by C36

NickyR wrote: BUT you have to know that latest ultegra/dura ace wheels have some play in their freehub. More or less, it depends on the wheels. Shimano is aware about it but doesn't communicate except to say that this play is normal/acceptable and does not affect shifting,
Being cone-cup bearings it can totally be adjusted.

NickyR

by NickyR

C36 wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:54 am
NickyR wrote: BUT you have to know that latest ultegra/dura ace wheels have some play in their freehub. More or less, it depends on the wheels. Shimano is aware about it but doesn't communicate except to say that this play is normal/acceptable and does not affect shifting,
No it can't, this is a completely different issue.
For info, my wheels were fully refunded.

saracen888

by saracen888

NickyR wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:23 am
C36 wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:54 am
No it can't, this is a completely different issue.
For info, my wheels were fully refunded.
Did you replace with another pair or opt for something else?
A few guys I ride with have the new C50's and love them, no issues.

NickyR

by NickyR

The bikeshop was very nice and helpful. When they received my rear wheel, they checked it. According to them, this play in the freehub is more or less pronounced in all new Ultegra wheels they had seen, mine had an "above average" play. Since the wheels could not be repaired (since Shimano didn't consider them as defectuous), they offered me 3 options : a full refund (as soon as they got the front wheel) or a new pair of Ultegra wheels (but not sure about the play) or a voucher of the value of the wheels. I chose the refund. They didn' t have to do that, they could have sticked to Shimano's opinion and leave me with my wheels.
Don't misunderstand me : the wheels performed great ! Fast, aero, easy to ride, looks really nice etc... It would have loved to keep them. But the play resulted in a more noisy and hard to set shifting than what I am willing to accept for a >1000€ wheelset.
Finally I bought a custom handmade wheelset (Hope RS4 hubs, cx ray spokes, and 45mm carbon wheels) from dutch wheelbuilder Wheel-tec. They are even better than the Ultegra in all aspect (except maybe at high speed on the flats) for not much more money. The hubs are crazy smooth, the wheels spin for ages... and they have a reputation of bomb proof.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Is the play people have been experiencing only in the Ultegra wheels? How about the DA wheels with their new freehub design?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com