Landed: BTLOS WRC-55 Extralight Build

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
nickf

by nickf

Decided to try out BTLOS. Their extralight rims caught my attention. Paid 4/8 and arrived 5/16. $891.14 shipped to my door. Below are the build specs.

Novatec AS511SB: 20H, QR*100mm, Non Disc, Straight pull
Novatec FS522SB: 24H, QR*130mm, Shimano Road 11s, Non Disc, Straight pull
RC-55: Extralight, Special braking surface (arc), Matte, UD, 20H, None Decal
RC-55: Extralight, Special braking surface (arc), Matte, UD, 24H, None Decal
Front Wheel: Sapim CX-Ray: Straight pull
Rear Wheel drive side: Sapim CX-Sprint: Straight pull
Rear Wheel Non drive side: Sapim CX-Ray: Straight pull
Sapim-Nipple: Aluminium Black

1396g

Wheels arrived undamaged and perfectly true. The weight was spot on from what they quoted. The wheels were each packed in a foam bag, and taped together, with plastic hub protectors on the outside of each hub, then just put in a regular box. Farsports packaging and wheel boxes are much better. No damage but they could improve. The build quality of the rim and the overall build of the wheels is excellent. Nice smooth matte finish. The brake track has the grooved arc surface. I'm kind of a fan of the Novatec hubs. They have never given me any issues. For the money, they are great bang for the buck. Running Novatec hubs on 4 sets of wheels now.The only issue I saw was the arc direction and the hub logos did not match front to rear. The front hub logo was on the wrong side, if I were to match the arc sweep direction. Not an issue since I remove the Novatec branding from the hubs, just an observation. They did include 2 spare spokes and nipples, looks like one front and one rear. No spare rear DS sprint spoke.

I have around 70 miles on the wheels so far. My first impressions are the wheels are snappy and stiff. I'm glad I opted for the sprint spokes on the rear DS. I'm around 81kg. Whether I'm climbing or accelerating out the saddle these wheels put the power down. No noticeable deflection. I really like how they feel out of the saddle, nice and solid. Compared to my other set of wheels, 30mm Farsports Kaze, these 55mm rims do catch the wind a bit. Nothing alarming but it is there. Running Bontrager R3 tires with Vittoria latex tubes 85psi/90psi. The ride is nice and smooth, no added harshness even at their depth. My last set of deep wheels were Bontrager Aeolus 5 tubulars. While they were great wheels and lighter, they lacked stiffness. Plus the old smooth Bontrager brake track was not great. I have fresh black prince pads installed and the BTLOS arc brake track provides excellent stopping power. These feel pretty much identical to the grooved brake tracks on the Farsports Kaze wheels. Plenty of initial bite and good modulation. So far so good.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

Any update on how these have been going? I'm thinking about a set myself.

I have a specific question if you or anyone else could answer it.

The rim profile appears to be somewhat of a figure 8 in cross section. I.e., the tyre is slightly wider at the top, narrows at the bead rim interface, bulges out again part way down the rim before narrowing again.

Does this have any bearing on how aero the rim is?

Photo attached:
Edit. This photo is actually the BTLOS, as you can tell
Screenshot_20220813-231105_Chrome.jpg
The previous photo I had was a Light Bicycle rim.

Kurt
Attachments
Screenshot_20220811-004024_Chrome.jpg

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

Just watched Hambini's interesting wheel buying guide video.
Avoid late bulging was one of the take aways. I'm not sure whether the rim cross sections above fall into that category, but a more tear drop shape might be better.

nickf

by nickf

Kurt1980 wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:11 am

The rim profile appears to be somewhat of a figure 8 in cross section. I.e., the tyre is slightly wider at the top, narrows at the bead rim interface, bulges out again part way down the rim before narrowing again.

Photo attached:

Kurt
Just by feeling my rim yes there is a slight bulge at the center of the rim then tapers down just like the photo.

I have couple thousand miles on the wheels at this point. Riding them pretty exclusively. I have to say I am really pleased with the wheels. Build quality is excellent, haven't even touched them since I got them on the bike. I'm running Bontrager R3 25c tires, they are pretty dead even with the brake tracks. The are stiff wheels, which I do like. Even under full load, I don't hear any brake pad rub. The brake tracks are better than Farsports. The Farsports brake tracks are smoother, the BTLOS grooves are much more pronounced and you can hear them wizz when applying the brakes. They do use a bit of pad though, I'll take that any day over longer pad life and poor braking. AT higher speeds descending 40+mph the wind will tug at the wheel, nothing violent but you can feel it. I would definitely buy again.

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

They sounds pretty good, thanks for the feedback.

I'm also thinking more seriously about Novatec hubs. Last wheelbuild I used Carbon-ti, and while they are light, my friends Caden wheels on generic hubs roll as good, if not better than the Carbon-tis.

Cheers,
Kurt

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

nickf wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:28 pm
Kurt1980 wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:11 am

Photo attached:

Kurt
Just by feeling my rim yes there is a slight bulge at the center of the rim then tapers down just like the photo.

I have couple thousand miles on the wheels at this point. Riding them pretty exclusively. I have to say I am really pleased with the wheels. Build quality is excellent, haven't even touched them since I got them on the bike. I'm running Bontrager R3 25c tires, they are pretty dead even with the brake tracks. The are stiff wheels, which I do like. Even under full load, I don't hear any brake pad rub. The brake tracks are better than Farsports. The Farsports brake tracks are smoother, the BTLOS grooves are much more pronounced and you can hear them wizz when applying the brakes. They do use a bit of pad though, I'll take that any day over longer pad life and poor braking. AT higher speeds descending 40+mph the wind will tug at the wheel, nothing violent but you can feel it. I would definitely buy again.
Quick question before I forget, if that's ok? How much do you weigh?

I'm at 75kg, 176cm, never ridden deep wheels for any serious length of time or in heavy winds. Curious about how much the crosswinds push you around....
Kurt

nickf

by nickf

1396g they have lighter hubs available but I like the bang for the buck novatec hubs. I have 4 sets and all have been excellent. I believe bitex are lighter but not a fan of the tiny bearings they use.

Crosswinds are not an issue. I'm not in a windy part of the country, not riding in 20+mph gusts. They track very well and feel stable. I'm around 82kg.
Last edited by nickf on Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

Just ordered a set of 50mm in extralight. Carbon-ti hubs cuz I'm a diegard weight weenie, CX Sprints on the back and CX rays on the front.

Will update this thread when I get them.

Thanks for your info nickf.

C36

by C36

Kurt1980 wrote:Just ordered a set of 50mm in extralight. Carbon-ti hubs cuz I'm a diegard weight weenie, CX Sprints on the back and CX rays on the front.

Will update this thread when I get them.

Thanks for your info nickf.
How many spokes? Internal or external nipples?

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

24 spokes, external nipples.

I would seriously consider a 28h hub, but there's not much out there that's also decently lightweight and straight pull.

Closest I came to finding was a DT Swiss 240 in j bend.

C36

by C36

Carbon Ti has 28 spokes hubs.

Supersix Evo2HM - aero-stiff 5970g / light 5690g

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

C36 wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:31 pm

Aren't 28H in disc only? Certainly that's all I could find on their website.

C36

by C36

Kurt1980 wrote:
C36 wrote:

From the catalogue it exist and at least a year ago it was available.

2022 catalogue:

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

C36 wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:03 pm
Kurt1980 wrote:
C36 wrote:

From the catalogue it exist and at least a year ago it was available.

2022 catalogue:

Well, I put my money where my mouth is and asked if they have access to 28h hubs, requesting them to change to it if so.

** EDIT BTLOS can't get 28h hubs unfortunately**

They really need to advertise this on their website.

C36, do you have any data about wheel stiffness of fulcrum racing wheels, the cheaper Racing 7s in particular? I remember when I went from them in clincher to some lighter and flexier Giant wheels, I did feel like I lost something. Maybe not exactly speed, but that kind of zippy feeling, and I'm curious where those old 7s stand on the stiffness scale.

TIA.

Kurt

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

Post was lost somehow, so I'll try this again.

Wheels have landed. 50mm x "26"mm, although as you can see below they're actually at 27mm and taper out to 28mm. 19mm internal. Extralight layup. I got the no spoke holes in rim bed option, so instant tubeless haha!

Carbon Ti hubs with 20 CX-Rays on the front and 24 CX-Sprints on the rear. Wheels spin smoothly and roundly.

Weight is 600f and 742r for a total of 1342g.

Pics below. I've uploaded this on my phone so I'll clean it up later on.
Attachments
20220923_182945.jpg
20220923_182929.jpg
20220923_182851.jpg
20220923_182655.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com