Landed: BTLOS WRC-55 Extralight Build

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

Dimensional photos.
Update: I have the same issue with the arc direction of the brake track as Nickf... if I match directions front and rear the front hub lettering is opposite the rear. No biggie, but I wonder if there's something to that? Are the arcs supposed to be in opposite directions? I'll send BTLOS an email.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220923-205008_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220923-205028_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220923-205042_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220923-205104_Gallery.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nickf

by nickf

As far as I know the arc should be facing there same direction front and rear. I think it's a lack of attention to detail when they build the wheel. Do let us know if you hear different.

Mine have still been doing good. Recently descended down some high speed steep descents with no worries about coming to a stop or scrubbing speed for the corners. Strong predictable braking with black prince pads.

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

Update after 200km.

Dry riding only, bunch ride and solo ride. Braking is good as expected. Yesterday's solo had some gusts up to 30km/hr. The wheels felt fine in that- you could feel every now and then some pushing and pulling on the front, but nowhere near uncontrollable. In less windy moments (nil to low wind, really) I felt confident to ride with no hands to have a gel, stretch out my back etc.

With the CX-Sprint rear spokes, it might be slightly less compliant than my previous wheels (35mm carbon Far Sports with CX-Rays), but these are also 50mm, so that has to be taken into account. Again, the difference is nowhere near enough to label them as "unforgiving".

Every now and then I thought I heard a bit of brake rub on the rear, but it was hard to tell whether it was that or something else.

In terms of finishing, the deep section of the wheels (i.e. below the brake track) is very good but not perfectly uniform. There's a slight variation in shape when you spin them and look from above, mainly noticed in the reflection of the deep section. Certainly you don't notice/feel a difference when you ride, but these are not exact. It may worry those with perfectionistic expectations.

One thing I'm not sure about is whether the brake track is slightly thicker on these than the Far Sports. The dip between the top of the brake track and the sidewall of the tyre looks a little bit more on these than my previous wheels, but I'm not sure. I don't know how much of a difference that would make if it is the case? I guess a bit since Mavic used to make those strips before the UCI banned them.

I'll update in a while, or if anything bad happens to them. Also happy to answer any questions, as Nickf did for me.

Cheers all,
Kurt

Edited to update: I emailed BTLOS about the direction of the brake tracks. It's the same front and rear, obviously I guess. They didn't mention the backwards front hub was an error on their part, but I'm not too worried about such things. For potential buyers- Good to be aware that these issues may arise though.

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

Further update some 1500km in.

I seem to have worn a way a substantial section of the braking track on the rear non drive side. Front is pretty much undamaged, slight scoring that I can live with.

The ride that did it was brutal. Hill climbs and descents in the wet to the tune of about 2900m - 18 x 160m. Braking remained consistent throughout, no weird sounds, and it wasn't until I looked after the ride I noticed the damage. The brake pads are black prince on the rear, and whatever came with my ee brakes for carbon on the front. I didn't really have time to do much about it, as there was a major race the following fortnight. It doesn't seem to gave further degraded, but I wanted to update this thread to give everyone the heads up.

I'll chase up BTLOS for a warranty, as it's inside their 2 month windows. I will be honest about the use of them in the rain. I'll keep everyone updated with any new information.

I can say otherwise they have been really good. Let's see how this plays out.
20221113_163527.jpg
20221113_163311.jpg
20221113_163239.jpg

nickf

by nickf

Runs and checks wheels ......... Mine look like they have even wear front to rear. Do keep us posted. I'm also running black prince pads with ee calipers. Mine pads are set flat with just a little rear toe using a business card. Still impressed with the stopping power of the btlos wheels.

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

Slow to update. BTLOS sent me a free rim,I paid $54USD for the shipping, rim was free. Obviously, I will pay for it to be rebuilt.

I feel that's a middle of the road response, somewhere between ignoring me and sending out a complete new wheel. It's about what I expected.

In the meantime, I'll continue to ride my current wheel until the sidewall is worn through. It still looks about the same as before.

One interesting thing from this is I can weigh the rim alone.

So a 24h no spoke holes in the rim bed 50mm extralight layup (whew) weighs 430g. Not bad really.
20230108_140527.jpg

nickf

by nickf

Thanks for the update. Too bad they didn't elaborate on the rim wear. My wheels are still my most used set and the brake tracks still look like new.

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

nickf wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:55 am
Thanks for the update. Too bad they didn't elaborate on the rim wear. My wheels are still my most used set and the brake tracks still look like new.
Not a problem.

I'm unsure what caused it, but I probably should replace the pads. They're Swiss Stop Black Prince. Maybe they were old and hardened, although, there's been no further degradation of the rim.

What pads do you use again?

nickf

by nickf

I'm using black prince pads also. But they are just about worn. I have a set of campy red pads in going to try out next. Just to experiment a bit.

nickf

by nickf

Just an update. I finally swapped out to the campy red pads. I have to say they are an improvement over the black prince pads. Thought it was all in my head at first but really is an improvement. The campy red pads have really good initial bite and overall better braking power. I hate buzz words but the "modulation" is much better. Black Prince pads while good, seemed to only provide just enough power to slow down. With the campy red pads, I feel that I can push the bike harder and brake later than I normally would. Less lever force is needed to slow things down. Probably around 600 miles on them now. I cleaned the rim with acetone to remove any residual pad compound before installing the new pads.

pushpush

by pushpush

I know this isn't quite the same thing, but FWIW I have a set of BTLOS wm-i27as wheels on one of my mtbs. I have ridden the snot out of them for almost 2k miles over the past 2yrs. They are still perfectly true and dont make any noise whatsoever. I can't discern much/any difference between them and the Roval Control SL wheels on my other mtb that cost WAY more. I was impressed with their customer service when ordering, received them quickly, and have been happy ever since. Great value for the money.

nickf

by nickf

Anyone have experience with BTLOS carbon spokes and hubs? Looking at picking up a their 40mm rim brake wheels with carbon spokes for a do it all climbing wheelset. Should be around 1200g with the extralite layup.

sevencyclist

by sevencyclist

I have a pair of BTLOS carbon straight pull spokes and hubs in the extralight version with ARC graphene rim brakes. Brakes is very good, although not quite Campagnolo Shamal Mille level of control. Wheelset rides nicely and true. My bike shop was quite impressed with how nicely built they are. BTLOS did make the mistake of sending me the wrong Shimano freehub initially, but forwarded me the Campagnolo freehub adapter fairly quickly. My 30mm set was estimated to be 1138 grams and it came in at 1100 gram.

I just ordered another set at 40mm height with arrow graphene pattern. Will see if braking is any different, and will see about tradeoff of slightly more weight but aero gains.