ENVE Refresh?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

I’m going to put in a warranty claim even though it’s a relatively easy (but costly since I don’t have any more Enve tape, nipples, or a wrench for Enve nipples!) fix.

It’s just too weird of a thing to happen randomly like that.

Probably get it fixed and sell. But, this effectively ends my summer riding season. Thanks, Enve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

rollinslow wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:52 pm
I was looking at the 2.3 specs today and it appears Enve increased the weight by 75+ grams for XDR. Was that a subtle increase due to rim breakage? The website says do not use on gravel so perhaps that was a sign of things.
2.3 have never been gravel rated.. but yeah I noticed that increase in weight too. I dont think I would be buying them at 1274 +/- 2%
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

kode54

by kode54

crlincoln wrote:Quick question, which rim tape are people using with SES wheels, specifically 4.5, my lbs set my wheels up with Peaty's but I need to change them as the tape's are leaking...
I’m using 3M blue strapping tape. No issues.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

loup

by loup

Have been on 5.6 rim breaks with Extralite (1350g) for ages and still love them as arounder.

Looking forward to purchase a custom disc Wheelset with Extralite and Sapim CX-Super. I'm still stuck between 4.5 (@1285g) VS. 6.7 (@1325g). Tire should be Conti 5k TT 28c and/or 5k STR

Does anyone have actuall tire width readings for the combinations mentioned? I think 28c on the 4.5 with 32mm ext. width will be ok. But I'm not sure if 28c on the 30mm 6.7 will be a good choice (105% rule)

tmanley

by tmanley

spdntrxi wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:20 am
LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:25 am
Anybody else had a broken spoke with the new wheels? I broke a DS spoke on a downhill on fresh pavement today. Very odd.

ever throw a chain ? on the other side of the cassette ? That's the only time I've even broke a spoke(s) on Enve wheels.
Same thing happened to me and it's the only time I've broken a spoke on my Enve's (which I've ridden multiple wheelsets over the past 12 years).

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

tmanley wrote:
spdntrxi wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:20 am
LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:25 am
Anybody else had a broken spoke with the new wheels? I broke a DS spoke on a downhill on fresh pavement today. Very odd.

ever throw a chain ? on the other side of the cassette ? That's the only time I've even broke a spoke(s) on Enve wheels.
Same thing happened to me and it's the only time I've broken a spoke on my Enve's (which I've ridden multiple wheelsets over the past 12 years).
Recently?

tmanley

by tmanley

I remember the chain getting sucked between the cassette and the spokes in a freak incident and observing what looked to be some damage to the spokes down around the j-bend area (this was on my 4.5 AR's). I knew it probably was only a matter of time before the spoke would break - I rode around w/ the damage for probably ~12 months before the spoke broke.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I road around for ~2years.. a spoke would break about 1 every 6 months.. Finally I inspected it and found 4 more that had possible damage, so I had the whole thing re-laced with all new.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

spdntrxi wrote:I road around for ~2years.. a spoke would break about 1 every 6 months.. Finally I inspected it and found 4 more that had possible damage, so I had the whole thing re-laced with all new.
What a shitshow lol. The wheels are fast AF and reasonably comfy, but I swear they bring nothing else to the table other than the Enve bling factor. Ugh.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

^.. but if you never threw a chain your failure is unexplained. Mine and tmanley is expected.

Yes I love me some Enve and have since old school 3.4 rim brake. I must have had alteast a dozen enve wheelsets over the years and the only ones with issue was my fault.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

So, an update on my 4.5s. I was prepared to replace the spoke and true the wheel (not a big deal now that I have the right length spokes and the internal nipple wrench). However, Enve was concerned about the circumstances of the break and wanted me to send it in. So, I did.

Since these are my only wheels, I figured I’d pick up some 2.3s and then sell whichever one I liked less after I get the 4.5s back (apparently 4-6 weeks). I was able to get cosmetic blem 2.3s with Chris King hubs for a good deal from Brands Cycle (awesome people). I didn’t realize that pre-2022 Chris King HG11 hubs aren’t compatible with 12-speed (the oversized the splines to ensure better fitment with 11-speed cassettes). Using a file and some sandpaper I was able to remove very little material to get it to work and also got the newer HG body for later replacement.

I decided to run 32c GP 5k S TRs on the wheels. They measure 33mm.

Compared to the 4.5s, some interesting observations.

-Negatives:
-Not quite as light as you’d like with the Chris King hubs: 1278g not taped.
-Obviously, they lose some aero and you can tell a bit on downhills and flat sections.
-Less comfortable by a decent margin than the 4.5s, even with the larger rubber running 58 psi

-Positives:
-Stiff! Wow are they stiff. Don’t know whether it’s the layup or the hubs or some combo.
-Very light of course
-No issues with cross-winds at all. Was getting more movement from the frame.
-Handling is extremely responsive
-Once you get used to the stiffness and the reactivity, descending is a pleasure
-They really do climb like a stabbed rat, whether out of the saddle or in the saddle. Even though I’m larger (189cm, 85kg), they were still noticeable climbing

Honestly, the wheels leave more questions than answers. They are really, really good and, somehow, feel more durable and confidence inspiring than the deep sections. I rode a 100k with lots of hills, but with several flat sections on which I was riding between 23-30mph (had a tailwind for one significant section). Despite all of that, I rode faster than I usually do.

The same stiffness that made climbing a pleasure made some of the rougher sections unpleasant. It really makes me want to keep both wheelsets. Ugh. Choices….

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

yeah CK's are not light... when I had the choice with my 4.5AR, I chose i9's because they were the lightest. I recently got 2.3 and they are shit to setup.. maybe it's the corsa pros. Michelin PowerCup were easy. Have to do the old tube first technique.. Front is done atleast.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault