ENVE Refresh?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

I have the DT Mon Chasseral wheels on my bike. They are quite nice, but offer little to no aero benefit, but are extremely light (1240g).

Would it be an upgrade to pick up some 3.4s (1390g) and sell the DTs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Depends on what you want from them. The deeper wheels will likely be faster in 99% of scenarios. Also, the wider shape is pretty nice with 28 tires.
However, the hookless construction means you can only run certain tires, and you cannot run 25s.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

FlatlandClimber wrote:Depends on what you want from them. The deeper wheels will likely be faster in 99% of scenarios. Also, the wider shape is pretty nice with 28 tires.
However, the hookless construction means you can only run certain tires, and you cannot run 25s.
I was just pondering it over because I saw the new 3.4s on sale for $2150. Despite blowing up my 4.5s, I really liked the wheels. I’m so tired of bike stuff, though, I’m likely to just stick with what I have even through the 3.4s suit me better.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:05 pm
I have the DT Mon Chasseral wheels on my bike. They are quite nice, but offer little to no aero benefit, but are extremely light (1240g).

If you run a 23-24c front tire, it's probably not as bad as you think.

This indicates getting the tire width right on a well shaped short rim is just as important as the depth.
https://www-radsport--rennrad-de.transl ... r_pto=wapp
They tested basically every iteration of a of a modern shallow-ish rim / hub combo with a 25c GP5k. Pooly shaped shallow, nicely shaped shallow, ugly mid deep, nicely shaped mid, wide nicely shaped, etc. They then tested the two DT branded wheels with a 23c tire, which saved 2w over the 25c tire. That brought the 21mm deep DT rim within 1w of a 35mm deep, wide enough rim with a 25c tire at 45kph (6w off a 65mm deep rim though https://www-radsport--rennrad-de.transl ... r_pto=wapp).

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

jfranci3 wrote:
LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:05 pm

If you run a 23-24c front tire, it's probably not as bad as you think.

This indicates getting the tire width right on a well shaped short rim is just as important as the depth.
https://www-radsport--rennrad-de.transl ... r_pto=wapp
They tested basically every iteration of a of a modern shallow-ish rim / hub combo with a 25c GP5k. Pooly shaped shallow, nicely shaped shallow, ugly mid deep, nicely shaped mid, wide nicely shaped, etc. They then tested the two DT branded wheels with a 23c tire, which saved 2w over the 25c tire. That brought the 21mm deep DT rim within 1w of a 35mm deep, wide enough rim with a 25c tire at 45kph (6w off a 65mm deep rim though https://www-radsport--rennrad-de.transl ... r_pto=wapp).
I’m running 29c tires. It ain’t good aerodynamically. Before the weather got nasty, I was only able to take them out for a brief test ride, so they are still new. They are very nice and extremely light and well-built wheels. I do miss the Enve 4.5s I had which I still think are the best wheels I’ve ever owned. Even considering that I blew them up.

PsiSquared

by PsiSquared

I didn't read the whole thread, but I am picking up on some dissatisfaction with Enve rims. My question is this: for a custom build I'm choosing between Zipp 303 FC and Enve 4.5 rims for road and light to medium gravel. Is the 303FC a more durable rim? Has Enve addressed the QC issues that @angryasian noted in his test wheelset? On paper the 4.5s are deeper and thus theoretically more aero. The 303FCs are lighter and maybe aren't that much behind the 4.5's aerodynamically.......? Thoughts?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

PsiSquared wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:42 am
I didn't read the whole thread, but I am picking up on some dissatisfaction with Enve rims. My question is this: for a custom build I'm choosing between Zipp 303 FC and Enve 4.5 rims for road and light to medium gravel. Is the 303FC a more durable rim? Has Enve addressed the QC issues that @angryasian noted in his test wheelset? On paper the 4.5s are deeper and thus theoretically more aero. The 303FCs are lighter and maybe aren't that much behind the 4.5's aerodynamically.......? Thoughts?

I think the most prevalent QC issue with ENVE rims is the quality of the patched area of the rim be opposite the valve. It’s often lumpy enough that it messes with applying rim tape and subsequent attempts to seat tubeless tires. In at least one case, there was a pinhole where not enough resin was used around the patch which, in combination with the lumpiness, created a slow leak that was difficult to seal.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Something from the realm of mega light goodness:

1050g pre tape/ valve, but with all the stickers installed. About as light as a TL/ DB set of wheels gets with big brand rims and spokes.
Last edited by FlatlandClimber on Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

kode54

by kode54

That's awesome! I've been looking at 2.3's just for the weight loss.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Fully double wrapped and valves installed:
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

I bought another set of 4.5s. Fully double wrapped with valves and HG freehub is right at 1550g.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

All installed. I really love the look on the Aethos.
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

kode54

by kode54

That looks really nice. I would think with everything you have on would have taken you down to sub-5
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

I imagine you can build this bike to sub 5, when you start making it significantly worse.
A few points on my bike:
It is size 58.
The saddle is 96g, a Berk Lupine is slightly lighter and then there are 36g saddles. I tried the C59 from Selle, and I disliked it. The Tekno is the lightest I want to go, with it being comfortable, and a lot more sturdy than the Berk Saddles.
The Seatpost is an easy way of saving 50 to 80g. I had a Schmolke TLO, that was fantastic. But I sold that, and the new frame happened to come with the very good Alpinist Seatpost, so I still use it.
There are lighter cockpits than Alpinist.
11-34 Cassette (many use lighter cassettes for the photo)
You can save loads on tires and tire set up. Double wrap, 40ml of sealant per, 28c tires that are not particularly light.
And then there is other stupid stuff like going 1x.

Hardly any of that would make my experience on the bike better, or me riding faster. After crashing my last Aethos, these components are tried and tested for me, and I therefore trust them enough, to feel confident on it.

That's why I also chose the components on this wheel, with big brand rims and spokes.
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

Thx for the clarification. Makes sense especially after a crash.

The wheel weights are intriguing.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc