Carbon spokes in 2022

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
blackcatwheels

by blackcatwheels

Shmitt wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:36 pm
Does the kevlar insert significantly improve the strength of the spokes?
It would be good not to be surprised after an unexpected crash that the wheel broke or was unfit for further driving.
And a question for the Black Cat. In the event of a crash during a race or a fall while riding - will it be safe to continue using carbon wheels with carbon spokes?
This is the purpose. Kevlar rod is like a spine and carbon like muscles around it. It's much more difficult to brake kevlar.
Pure carbon can work too, look at LW wheels. In the past there were couple of design failures ex. Mavic carbon spokes, but with the current technology I believe it's going to be safe too. Important factor regarding reliability is the build itself. Angles, proper tension is a key. Carbon spokes shouldn't be stretched to high values. There is no point.

I personally believe that the future is with carbon spokes. They give significantly stiffer wheels. No steel or berd spokes can provide that.

Broken carbon spoke won't be any different from broken steel spoke. Some wheels will be rideable some not. Wheels laced with triplet/G3 probably won't be rideable. Standard 24 spoked wheel should be OK.
Handbuilt wheels.
I ride wheels I build, I build wheels for riders
-----------------------------------------------------
https://carbonone.pl/
https://blackcatwheels.ch/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

calicyclist

by calicyclist

C36 wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:25 pm
3-5 Spoked wheels do have quite a lot of stiffness problems, or limitation outside TT type of applications, Biturbo, with bigger spokes, won't be very aero (eyballing it here).
Do you have any data to show why five spoke wheels would have stiffness problems? I am considering the Black Inc Five. Few other members gave positive feedback. Should I be concerned about something?
Argonaut RM3 | Pivot Trail 429

C36

by C36

On recent wheels no, the last one I have in mind were the Xentis 4 spokes (mark II?).

Historically the wheels where designed for aero, then narrow, no « bracing angle » in the blades, then challenging to support lateral flex.

I would be curious to see how the modern interpretation of those wheels behave.

Jasonlelam

by Jasonlelam

cajer wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:34 pm
I'm intrested in more aerofoil shaped spokes over the current mostly flat bladed ones. Carbon may allow that.
I am in too. :up:

stermyx

by stermyx

Any experiences in MTB wheels with carbon spokes??

RDY

by RDY

stermyx wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:56 pm
Any experiences in MTB wheels with carbon spokes??
Bad idea unless it's a strong, durable monocoque like the BikeAhead ones. Conventional spokes are liable to suffer damage and fail. I have absolutely no clue why Scott chose to make their first carbon spoked wheel a not particularly light MTB set. Seems mad. They've got Safa riding them atm ... hope that doesn't end in tears.

mythosxt

by mythosxt

LightBicycles AR25 with Extralite Hubs and LB Carbon Spokes -> naked 874gr :shock: :D
the feeling is excellent, but 1 carbon spoke is broken after 3 rides on the Ti threaded, driving home is no Problem, i put a reserve spoke on it, hobe this would be a individual case ...
Attachments
schuhe - 1 (4).jpeg
schuhe - 1 (4).jpeg (64.34 KiB) Viewed 1394 times

NMK

by NMK

I'm considering a set of Light Bike wheels and not sure to get carbon spokes or just the regular. Carbon is stiffer and lighter but then the rim will have to have holes to access the nipples plus rim tape. Whereas the steel spokes version can have non holed rims and no rim tape to save weight and maybe stiffer without the rim holes? LB was not helpful... confused.

Jasonlelam

by Jasonlelam

NMK wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 3:05 pm
I'm considering a set of Light Bike wheels and not sure to get carbon spokes or just the regular. Carbon is stiffer and lighter but then the rim will have to have holes to access the nipples plus rim tape. Whereas the steel spokes version can have non holed rims and no rim tape to save weight and maybe stiffer without the rim holes? LB was not helpful... confused.
I went for Light Bicycle AR465 + carbon ti + Carbon spoke last week. LB was quite helpful to answer my questions. There have both downside and upside for conventional hole-rim and no-hole-rim. (need or not need tape, harder or easier for spoke replacement work etc). I put my legs on carbon spokes this time as their more bladed shape that the steel spokes do not offer. I came across this review for Light Bicycle, very helpful but unfortunately, it does not refer too much to the carbon spoke...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZGNMTvwf6s

RDY

by RDY

Why do you need access holes? Don't the newer carbon spokes use standard nipple threads (like the 'normal' LB ones, Nextie, Brisk etc).

C36

by C36

The external part you see is bonded to the spoke, used to align them. The nipple to tighten is internal so need access holes.

RDY

by RDY

C36 wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 1:59 pm
The external part you see is bonded to the spoke, used to align them. The nipple to tighten is internal so need access holes.
Nextie confirmed they use Sapim Polyax Secure Lock and no access holes with their carbon spokes ... the design of which seems broadly similar to most of the other culprits.

Edit: Brisk also.

C36

by C36

RDY wrote:
C36 wrote:
Nextie confirmed they use Sapim Polyax Secure Lock and no access holes with their carbon spokes ... the design of which seems broadly similar to most of the other culprits.

Depends the spokes types.
- The Cadex, winspace type (or by LB in the video attached above) , using mechanically locking interface between carbon and aluminium do need holes to access them
- Some carbon spokes with the bonded Ti like the ones used by Brisk do use std nipples (and those would be the ones to use with carbonTi hubs listed above). There is not a big sample to get feedback but the two people I know using them already broke 3 spokes

C36

by C36

Jasonlelam wrote:
I went for Light Bicycle AR465 + carbon ti + Carbon spoke last week. LB was quite helpful to answer my questions. There have both downside and upside for conventional hole-rim and no-hole-rim. (need or not need tape, harder or easier for spoke replacement work etc). I put my legs on carbon spokes this time as their more bladed shape that the steel spokes do not offer. I came across this review for Light Bicycle, very helpful but unfortunately, it does not refer too much to the carbon spoke...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZGNMTvwf6s
The carbon spokes expected to be used with carbon Ti hubs are different from the ones used in the video you linked.
The first ones have bonded inserts and compatible w/ std hubs. The second ones rely on mechanical lock and need specific hubs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RDY

by RDY

C36 wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 10:01 am
RDY wrote:
C36 wrote:

Depends the spokes types.
- The Cadex, winspace type (or by LB in the video attached above) , using mechanically locking interface between carbon and aluminium do need holes to access them
- Some carbon spokes with the bonded Ti like the ones used by Brisk do use std nipples (and those would be the ones to use with carbonTi hubs listed above). There is not a big sample to get feedback but the two people I know using them already broke 3 spokes
Which brand(s) were the breakages with? What weight were the riders, and their rim depth? Presumably rear wheel spoke breakages?