New Michelin Power Cup Tubeless: GP5K S TR competitor

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
naavt

by naavt

I always had descoloration with Orange Seal on my tan tires, worst case being Veloflexes.

I'm using Silca now and my power cups have kept the original tan so far.

bobones

by bobones

bobones wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 5:33 pm
My cream AS TRs have been darkened by Orange Seal so I'm hoping these keep their colour a bit longer.
Seems I am doing Orange Seal a disservice here as I have just removed the AS TRs to fit Corsa Pros and it's clearly not Orange Seal in them. Looks like I used MilkIt sealant (trying to get rid of it), which is white, so not likely the culprit of the discoloration. The Conti tyres have definitely taken on an orangey hue from the light cream of new, but I'll give them a good scrub and hopefully they'll get closer to their original colour. The Power Cups do have Orange Seal in them and are showing no signs of discoloration, so hopefully this was just a false alarm. I have had some discoloration with Veloflex Corsa Evos, but they were super-porous and continously weeped sealant through the side walls, so much so that mine now have spots of black mould growing on them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

125 miles / 200k on the non tubeless clinchers yesterday (28s). First impressions excellent. Definitely more supple than GP5000 and feel a good bit grippier, inspiring confidence with descending around bends. Be interesting to see if they're as durable as the contis.

extrusionedwin

by extrusionedwin

power cup open 25c

it was install at the last year nov. 2022.
my friend only rides two times per month.
total km: under 1000km

issue: this week founds the surface of the tyre starts to have some cracks,

my friends told me the michelin always have this issue in all the tyres.

anyone have the same issue?

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

Not recently, but a few years back had a pair of Pro Race 3s crack in a similar way when just months old. I complained and received replacements but was also advised certain cleaning products are very bad for the rubber. I had quickly wiped down the bike with baby wipes, including the tyres, and always thought they might have been the culprit. I've never done that again!

godspeed

by godspeed

MIne lasts 3.000km ! 10cm center piece was ready to take off. Front tyre is still ok.
ALso michelin power endurance, 5.000km . Tybe makes a hole to the tyre.
Tyre pressure 100 psi. (maybe is too much)

mrlobber

by mrlobber

extrusionedwin wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 5:16 am
my friends told me the michelin always have this issue in all the tyres.

anyone have the same issue?
Have had a fair share of Michelin tyres since the Pro3 days, the only single tyre where rubber started to crack was Pro4 Endurance, but that was after multiple years of riding and around 13000km on that specific tyre, so nothing extraordinary in that respect.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

e4rthm0ver

by e4rthm0ver

Any long term users of GP5000STR who switched to Michelin? Pros, cons of both in real world usage?

My 5000 have probably around month of riding left in them and I’m looking for replacement and I’m wondering if I should just get another set of Contis or make a switch.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

+ rolling resistance +/- the same, better grip, better comfort
- narrower tread increasing the likelihood of sidewall damage, runs significantly wider than advertised on modern IW rims
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

C36

by C36

e4rthm0ver wrote:Any long term users of GP5000STR who switched to Michelin? Pros, cons of both in real world usage?

My 5000 have probably around month of riding left in them and I’m looking for replacement and I’m wondering if I should just get another set of Contis or make a switch.
Better rolling, (marginal in perfect road,
More significant with road degradation being more supple).
Better road feel and better grip particularly in the wet.

For durability I can’t say, i probably have 2k on the tube type and 2k on the TL. Not a single puncture.

The tread width is a non problem to me unless you ride on very wide rims and low pressures. None of my 4 tires have damages (on 19 and 21mm inner width).

e4rthm0ver

by e4rthm0ver

Thanks, i’m using pretty wide wheels, 22mm internal DT Swiss ERC1100 and I’m wondering if I should go with 25 or 28C considering that Michelins run way wider than advertised. I’m running 5000str in 25c and the real measured width is 26.4mm on them. I would like to go a bit wider but not too much

C36

by C36

e4rthm0ver wrote:Thanks, i’m using pretty wide wheels, 22mm internal DT Swiss ERC1100 and I’m wondering if I should go with 25 or 28C considering that Michelins run way wider than advertised. I’m running 5000str in 25c and the real measured width is 26.4mm on them. I would like to go a bit wider but not too much
Go 25mm it will be a 27+ mm once installed

jj911c2

by jj911c2

I have a set of 25s on Royal Rapids (21MM) with 2K on them and they have been great - good grip (much better in wet than 5ks), no punctures, and “feel” more compliant than 5Ks. They are large - 29.5M after a few miles. I also have a set of 28s on Royal Alpinists (21MM) and they are 30.5M. I have not had trouble riding on the sidewall of either 25 or 28s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

B0tt0mline

by B0tt0mline

e4rthm0ver wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 5:49 pm
Any long term users of GP5000STR who switched to Michelin? Pros, cons of both in real world usage?

I did it.

Switched to PowerCup TLR 28mm on one bike and on the other to the Vittoria Corsa Pro 28mm.
Both feel much better than the Conti - will not switch back for now.
Colnago C68- Enve SES 4.5
S-Works Aethos - Enve SES 2.3
Open MIN.D - Enve SES AR 4.5
Mosaic GT2-45 - Enve SES AR 3.4
Open WI.DE - no money for Enve

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

S TR also has the puncture resistance of TT tires according to BRR scores. I see zero reason to stick with that tire anymore over Power Cup or Corsa Pro.