New Michelin Power Cup Tubeless: GP5K S TR competitor

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

naavt wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:36 pm
FlatlandClimber wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:12 pm

Assuming your chart is correct, it however also confirms, that they are NOT TSS compatible (it states only for MTB TSS is acceptable, and for road only TC).
What? Really? I've just installed mines on a pair of Zipp's 303s and now I'm thinking if I go ahead and ride them on those wheels :roll:

No, not really. That is a generic ETRTO chart and not specific to Michelin. It’s pretty much saying hookless generally shouldn’t be used with narrower tires because practically speaking it’s limited to a max of 72.5psi.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

naavt

by naavt

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:43 pm

No, not really. That is a generic ETRTO chart and not specific to Michelin. It’s pretty much saying hookless generally shouldn’t be used with narrower tires because practically speaking it’s limited to a max of 72.5psi.
Considering my weight (70kgs), and the fact that Zipp (SRAM App), recommended pressure for my total system weight is bellow 5 bar (around 4,5 front and 4,7 back), is it still safe to ride this combo? (25 in my case)

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

naavt wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:01 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:43 pm

Considering my weight (70kgs), and the fact that Zipp (SRAM App), recommended pressure for my total system weight is bellow 5 bar (around 4,5 front and 4,7 back), is it still safe to ride this combo? (25 in my case)

That pressure would be low for 25mm WAM, but OK for 28mm WAM.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Others have ridden the Cup TLR or a hookless rim with no problems. But with the minimum tire pressure being the max any HL should be ridden with, it is clearly not designed for HL. Therefore, I would not do it. As I wouldn't ride non-TL clinchers set up TL or, not Non-TL rated wheels set up TL. The risk is just to big for me.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

Hexsense

by Hexsense

The high minimum tire pressure maybe related to the narrow tire tread. Regardless of tire measured width, if you use high tire pressure, the tire contact patch is narrow. As you lower the tire pressure, the tire sag more by your weight and more tread touch the ground.
We know Michelin has narrow tread, so a very low tire pressure would promote cornering on tire sidewall.

BuffHamster

by BuffHamster

So after a few rides with the 30mm version they have expanded to 31.6 and 31.8 with 21ID wheels.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Freshly installed 30mm Michelin Power Cup TLR on a 23mm IW rim comes out to 31.8mm WAM.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

naavt

by naavt

My 25s measure exactly 29 when inflated at 4,5 bar on a Zipp 303s wheelset. Not riden yet. Waiting to be installed on a new bike.

Steadimann

by Steadimann

Mounted 28 powe cup tlrs on 303 firecrest, came out 30.5mm at 5bars. So did anyone actually used these tires on wide rims with pressure below 5 bars?

hannawald

by hannawald

mrlobber wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:56 am
Freshly installed 30mm Michelin Power Cup TLR on a 23mm IW rim comes out to 31.8mm WAM.
Does the narrow thread width apply also for 30C version or it just affects 25C due to extreme stretching of the tyre? Thanks!

naavt

by naavt

Steadimann wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:53 pm
Mounted 28 powe cup tlrs on 303 firecrest, came out 30.5mm at 5bars. So did anyone actually used these tires on wide rims with pressure below 5 bars?
I'm running mines at 4,5 front and 4,7 rear

RDY

by RDY

I wonder if we'll see a 32mm soon, as there's plenty of demand for them in the market (Conti are selling boatloads of 5K S TR 32s). In which case, maybe they'll adjust the tread width to be more suitable.

maxima

by maxima

Install Power Cup TLR and Tube type 25mm on 21mm width rim and it inflates to 30.2mm/ 30.3mm

As for the 23mm tyre inflates to 26mm

I find the 23mm rolls way better

The side wall is rather too soft for hookless rim - all install tubeless or tube is on hooked rim.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

hannawald wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:23 am
Does the narrow thread width apply also for 30C version or it just affects 25C due to extreme stretching of the tyre? Thanks!
It isn't that wide there as well. Tried to photograph inflated tyre from below, you can see the vertical line where the tread ends, sidewall starts, and bulbs out further, right along with the Michelin logo.
michelin_30mm.jpg
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

naavt

by naavt

mrlobber wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:00 pm
hannawald wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:23 am
It isn't that wide there as well. Tried to photograph inflated tyre from below, you can see the vertical line where the tread ends, sidewall starts, and bulbs out further, right along with the Michelin logo.

michelin_30mm.jpg
Mines are much worse than that. I'll take a pic today when at home, but until now I've been descending with confidence. It seems to me that you have to corner with your knee on the floor to reach that sidewall on the tire. I really don't see anyone leaning that far on a road bike.