New Michelin Power Cup Tubeless: GP5K S TR competitor

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
CN2

by CN2

The most interesting measurements here are the size and tread width, which confirm that the Michelin Cup TLR isn't made for wide rims. Although the tread is slightly wider (+ 1 mm) on the 28 mm version, the total tread cover is even lower as (obviously) the casing of the 28 mm version is wider than the 25 mm version. The 28 mm version of the Michelin Power Cup TLR is now the tire with the lowest tread cover (35%) of all road bike tires tested to date, with most of the competition offering at least 40% tread cover.

Road Bike Tire Test: Michelin Power Cup TLR 28 mm

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... -tlr-28#rr

naavt

by naavt

Isn't Cofidis using these tires? If yes, what are their wheel specs?

That can answer a lot of questions and solve many fears people might have.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CN2

by CN2

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Isn't that Corima rim 16mm internal? Not encouraging, most on 21mm+ internal these days and that number is only going up.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

naavt

by naavt

Mr.Gib wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:31 pm
Isn't that Corima rim 16mm internal? Not encouraging, most on 21mm+ internal these days and that number is only going up.
That's a WS47 Evo, so 21mm internal. It seems to me that this debate just went out the door!

C36

by C36

And CIC Nantes Atlantique use them too on 21mm internal wheels. 25 or 28mm depending on the conditions.
Not aware of other pro team or development team using them on wider rims.
Last edited by C36 on Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StevieB

by StevieB

Sharing as a data point; I went through a set of Power Cups between some Conti TL's and now S-TR's, all in 28mm on 25mm internal width LB WR50's. They worked fine, wore well and never punctured or had any edge grip issues. The Michelins ran about a half mm wider than the Conti's and felt a touch more supple, but there wasn't a lot in it. The TL's held air the best of the lot and the Michelins the worst, but all were fine with sufficient sealant. I wouldnt worry too much about the tread width.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Thanks everyone for all the info and feedback. Sounds like no issue at all, certainly on 21mm internal. I really like the idea of the highly rated wet traction, and low CCR is always welcome. Will torture test some of the clinchers next June/July and report back - 3000+ km of pretty much exclusively climbing and descending. Hopefully they will be free of delamination.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

naavt

by naavt

Mr.Gib wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:48 am
Thanks everyone for all the info and feedback. Sounds like no issue at all, certainly on 21mm internal. I really like the idea of the highly rated wet traction, and low CCR is always welcome. Will torture test some of the clinchers next June/July and report back - 3000+ km of pretty much exclusively climbing and descending. Hopefully they will be free of delamination.
My TLRs have now 5K and seems to me that they will make much much more than that.

I've installed clinchers on my rim climbing bike since I'm done with tubeless (too much hassle and my TLRs will be swapped by clinchers when they're done).

Clinchers are now aproaching 2k and are also fine.

No issues with tire thread or damaged sidewalls whatsoever. I live in a hilly area so every 100km ride will end with 1500+ with the same amount of (fast) descent. Very pleased with these tires so far.

Mikesdubs

by Mikesdubs

My wheels are hooked 23mm id and 30mm od,

Previously on gp5000's but after all the feedback,

I'm thinking going for power cups 25mm front (should pump out to around 28mm nice and aero?)

And 28mm on the rear. Should be nice and fat probably 30mm same as rear wheel.

Or any other recommendations? I want to be comfortable but also fast 🤣

naavt

by naavt

Mikesdubs wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:53 am
My wheels are hooked 23mm id and 30mm od,

Previously on gp5000's but after all the feedback,

I'm thinking going for power cups 25mm front (should pump out to around 28mm nice and aero?)

And 28mm on the rear. Should be nice and fat probably 30mm same as rear wheel.

Or any other recommendations? I want to be comfortable but also fast 🤣
25 front and 28 rear on my bikes. One with Campy Bora's so 19mm internal, the other on LB with 21 internal

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Needed new tyres for Farsports Hyper (30ext/24int) wheels, went with Michelins this time (sever thousand kms on the 30mm version on different wheels, still going very nice). 25mm version blows up right to measured 30mm on the Farsports rims.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

C36

by C36

mrlobber wrote:Needed new tyres for Farsports Hyper (30ext/24int) wheels, went with Michelins this time (sever thousand kms on the 30mm version on different wheels, still going very nice). 25mm version blows up right to measured 30mm on the Farsports rims.
I would strongly suggest to reconsider this setup for safety reasons.
25mm (labeled) tires on 24 internal rim is way outside what is compatible (29mm minimal labeled width) and stretches the tire way outside what they are designed for (23-27mm measured width is the working envelop for 25mm labeled tires.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

The problem with the Michelins is, that those 25mm "labeled" tyres are far more similar to other brands 28mm "labeled" tyres because they label them based on WAM on a 17 internal rim. From that perspective, even a 21mm internal could be said to be dangerous for these if looking from the design perspective only.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

toxin

by toxin

using labeled width for any general safety guidelines is stupid when there are no standards for actually determining how tyres should be labeled