New Michelin Power Cup Tubeless: GP5K S TR competitor

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
naavt

by naavt

OUGrad05 wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:45 am
Where are you guys actually finding these for sale?
https://www.bike-discount.de/en/micheli ... lding-tire

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

OUGrad05

by OUGrad05

naavt wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:47 am
OUGrad05 wrote:
https://www.bike-discount.de/en/micheli ... lding-tire
I'll have to look at shipping them to the US.

TWraab

by TWraab

OUGrad05 wrote:
Check with your local shop they should be able to order them if they have an account with QBP in the US.

extrusionedwin

by extrusionedwin

I saw the price of GP 5K str vs Power cup comp tubeless almost the same price, As I see the micheling power cup comp will lost a lot market, the long life term GP is more better than Power cup.

naavt

by naavt

extrusionedwin wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:38 am
I saw the price of GP 5K str vs Power cup comp tubeless almost the same price, As I see the micheling power cup comp will lost a lot market, the long life term GP is more better than Power cup.
Contis GP are great tires indeed, but the simple fact that they are almost impossible to fit on some of my rims, just puts me away from them.

I had a flat that sealant didn't sealed once and literally spent more than an hour trying to fit a tube on it on the side of the road.

Never bought Contis again after that! I can mount Power Cups without any levers on the exact same rims!

Attermann

by Attermann

You kinda missed the point on tubeless if you are trying to fit a tube, use something like dynaplug, I works really great, and there's no need to take of the tyre.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

naavt wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:39 am
extrusionedwin wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:38 am
Contis GP are great tires indeed, but the simple fact that they are almost impossible to fit on some of my rims, just puts me away from them.

I had a flat that sealant didn't sealed once and literally spent more than an hour trying to fit a tube on it on the side of the road.

Never bought Contis again after that! I can mount Power Cups without any levers on the exact same rims!

TLs were hard to mount. S TRs are easy enough. There's certainly even easier tires to mount, but if someone is having issues with S TRs, then it's more of a technique/tricks-of-the-trade issue than a tire issue.

naavt

by naavt

Attermann wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:24 am
You kinda missed the point on tubeless if you are trying to fit a tube, use something like dynaplug, I works really great, and there's no need to take of the tyre.
There's some complaining about damaged rims due to Dynaplugs brass tips. Never tried those because of that.

OUGrad05

by OUGrad05

TWraab wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:47 am
OUGrad05 wrote:
Check with your local shop they should be able to order them if they have an account with QBP in the US.
I've called not only my local shops about a half dozen in another fairly large city about 90 miles from here. None of them can get them. I reached out to Michelin a few months ago and got absolutely no help from them.

TWraab

by TWraab

OUGrad05 wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:40 am
TWraab wrote:
OUGrad05 wrote:
I've called not only my local shops about a half dozen in another fairly large city about 90 miles from here. None of them can get them. I reached out to Michelin a few months ago and got absolutely no help from them.
Interesting could just be out of stock? I was able to order a set of the 28s skinwalls with TLR casing. I think only the 28mm in black was unavailable from the distributor when I ordered.

OUGrad05

by OUGrad05

TWraab wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:13 pm
OUGrad05 wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:40 am
TWraab wrote:
OUGrad05 wrote:
Interesting could just be out of stock? I was able to order a set of the 28s skinwalls with TLR casing. I think only the 28mm in black was unavailable from the distributor when I ordered.
I wish. I've been trying since last September. I gave up in March after calling a few shops again and they told me they'd call me when they get them in, they told me that in the fall too. They were nicely trying to tell me to go away.

Reaching out directly to Michelin was of 0 help which was the most disappointing thing.

Etienne

by Etienne

Quick update about my Power Cup tires on AR56 rims ... final width after more than 2000 km is around 30mm, rolling resistance seems excellent but the surprise comes from confort, better than expected (and than GP5000 by far) and on par with my Veloflex 28mm Evo TLR. Win win solution, confort and rolling resistance.

I also mounted 30mm Power Cup tires on my 38mm wheels (21 int), WAM around 31.5mm, confort is awsome, rolling resistance equivalent to the 25mm version ... only downside is weight but who cares !! Oups, I forgot we are on WW :mrgreen:

Excellent solution for bad roads, coarse chipseal full of cracks ...

OK, tread is not that wide on the 25mm version, so not that good for crit / mountain addicts, but less of a problem for the 30mm version that is not that wider, but taller (by 3mm at least).

CringeKing

by CringeKing

How are the sidewalls? Any significant cuts/scuffs as others reported?
I was indecisive on buying these fom bike24 at very good price due to some worrying reports seen online and bought some GP5000 instead.

Etienne

by Etienne

No problem so far ... sidewalls are pristine. Note that I don't race, and my rides are hilly but no mountains. Fast rolling rural roads mostly.

naavt

by naavt

Hilly rides all weeks here. Last week Strava data shows me 360 kms with 4783 meters climbed.

Very fast descents, some done at 70+ kms/h

Tires have done almost 3000 kms so far. They look like new.

I've also posted my findings on confort on another WW post and they are on pair with what Etienne said a couple of posts above. These are a very comfortable set of tires. Much more comfortable than GPs

Curiously I've also compared these tires to Veloflexes (if you wanna see that post its under "let's look at Look" thread).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com