New Michelin Power Cup Tubeless: GP5K S TR competitor

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
chuingbeans

by chuingbeans

CN2 wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:10 am
The tubes have some elasticity and those 28mm Power Cups will be within 1mm of the 32mm GP5k. So should be totally fine
The Power Cups now measure 29,2 mm at 5 bar, so they are 1,2 mm smaller than my GP 5000 in 32.

Is it ok to reinstall the used TPUs on the smaller tire, or is there a problem with possible wrinkles?
Reused a TPU in a Vittoria tyre (measured 29mm) that came from a CX tyre (measured 33mm). No issues. YMMV.

xav

by xav

naavt wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:05 am
Does somebody knows which tube was used by aerocoach to test clincher tires?
Vittoria latex tubes

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

naavt

by naavt

xav wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:02 pm
naavt wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:05 am
Does somebody knows which tube was used by aerocoach to test clincher tires?
Vittoria latex tubes
Thanks

CN2

by CN2

Can anyone of you already say something about the mileage / wear compared to the Continental 5000?

HBike

by HBike

New Tour magazin test. Now tubeless vs. clincher with TPU on smooth and rough roads.

Fastest non TT tire was Michelin Power Cup TLR, very minimally ahead of the Conti 5000 S TR.
Specialized Turbo Cotton was very strong, too (fastest Clincher), Conti 5000 Clincher very close to S TR, too, similar in performance to Vittoria Corsa Pro.
Power Cup Clincher is good on rough roads, but looses to others mentioned above on smooth roads.

They said Corsa Pro and Turbo Rapid Air caused handling problems on rough roads, needing to constantly adust course.
Thread width on Michelin caused problem as soon as you lean too much into the curves, loosing grip all of a sudden causing a crash.

Some marks of selevted tires:
Conti GP 5000 1.3
Conti GP 5000 TR 1.4 winner! very good across the board
Pirelli P Zero Race 1.5
Schalbe Pro One TLE 1.6 (not the bes rolling resistance, but good allrounder)
Power Cup Clincher 2.0 (bad wet grip)
Power Cup TLR 2.5 (looses in wet grip and puncture resistance)
Vittoria Corsa Pro 2.5 (looses in wet grip and puncture resistance. Puncture resistance very bad)

Conti 5000 TT TR 1.2 fastet overall, winner TT, wears fast

Said difference TPU vs. tubeless usually very very small for tires from same brand with similar rubber compund.

Yoln

by Yoln

Of course a German magazine placing Conti and Schwalbe in the top. And finding puncture resistance issues on Corsa Pro when compared to GP5k... what a joke.
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Pro One ahead of Power Cup is very German of them. Haha. The Pro One is worse than the Power Cup in EVERY measure on BRR (RR, grip, and puncture resistance)

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

BigBoyND wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:39 am
Pro One ahead of Power Cup is very German of them. Haha. The Pro One is worse than the Power Cup in EVERY measure on BRR (RR, grip, and puncture resistance)

The Pro One doesn't try to kill people who like to turn though. That's kind of important too.
Tread width on Michelin caused problem as soon as you lean too much into the curves, losing grip all of a sudden causing a crash.

HBike

by HBike

BigBoyND wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:39 am
They did 3 tests (all 28c) for puncture resistance, a knife cyclically hitting the tire to see how long it takes to cut through the tire (like a sharp stone working its way through), the typical puncture test and a sidewall test as usual.
Then they had a bike on a round course riding along on a circle driven by an electric engine. Acceleration is done until the tire looses grip completely.
The rider can furthermore repeat the test close to the critical regime to see how the tire behaves there.

All tests show similar RR performance of Michelin and Conti, the Corsa Pro is close, too, so the difference seems to be the different puncture tests and tests when leaning into curves, which BRR doesn't do. I think that to be a nice additional info.

CN2

by CN2

This graph shows better 20° cornering wet grip than GP5000

BRR also tests Wet Grip Edge > Wet Grip Average : 74 Points

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... r-cup#grip

German Roadbike magazine also tested the Michelin Power Cup clinchers:

Last edited by CN2 on Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BikeEatSleepRepeat

by BikeEatSleepRepeat

I swapped out my GP 5000 clinchers for a pair of Michelin Power Cups yesterday and rode a 35 mile loop I've surely ridden hundreds of times.

Easy zone 2-3 stuff, same pressure as used on the GP 5000 front/rear on a set of Enve 3.4's. Here's my impressions-

The Power Cup exhibits a noticeably better road feel on rough chip seal and uneven repair sections, and on new pavement it seems to almost disappear.

I'll know better after Monday night how it performs in a fast group setting, but my suspection is that it's a touch faster with my set up.

25's by the way, and they taped out just a hair wider than the GP's. Both hit right around the 27mm mark on these rims.

I'd guess longevity is probably a bit less than the GP 5000, but time will tell and if that was the top requirement I'd be using Gatorskins in the first place.

The Power Cup is impressive.

kenjif

by kenjif

I replaced yesterday my Power Cup TLR 30 mm after around 8600 km (my weight is 52 kg). Overall I felt that they were fast and comfortable, but the narrow thread caused large wear marks on the sidewalls. My rims are Light Bicycle WR45 (inner 25, outer 32). I do not race, but once, I almost lost traction in a tight corner. I could avoid the crash but since that I was not very confident regarding the grip and avoided leaning too much (even in dry conditions).

I replaced them by GP 5000 S TR also in 30 mm, I have not tried them yet.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Finally someone else with a similar experience. Mine did not look as bad as that, but I threw my tires in the trash after a “code brown” moment at 4650km, not 8600km.

30mm tires on 25mm internal rims is not an uncommon combo either.

Etienne

by Etienne

kenjif wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:52 am
I replaced yesterday my Power Cup TLR 30 mm after around 8600 km (my weight is 52 kg). Overall I felt that they were fast and comfortable, but the narrow thread caused large wear marks on the sidewalls. My rims are Light Bicycle WR45 (inner 25, outer 32). I do not race, but once, I almost lost traction in a tight corner. I could avoid the crash but since that I was not very confident regarding the grip and avoided leaning too much (even in dry conditions).
Those pics seem to confirm Tobin's experience but I am still very surprised by such a lateral wear ... mine (25 on 23 ID rims) have more than 3000 km now and no such marks on the tires, at all. That's difficult to understand as I am not light and I tend to ride fast in descents and corners, maybe some variability in quality ?

Anyway, if there is only one thing that Michelin should work on, it's probably that tread width ...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrlobber

by mrlobber

I run 30mm Michelins on 23IW rims (32mm WAM) as my bad roads wheels (including one gravel race :D), weigh almost 50% more than "kenjif", but so far no observed sidewall wear. However, on my roads I don't have much chance to do any hard cornering, so that might explain it...
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike