33g Inner Tube - Ridenow TPU

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
EtoDemerzel
Posts: 341
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:13 pm

by EtoDemerzel

That's ok. No idea on actual performance stats.

But, I can argue that a lack of confidence in the setup makes for worse handling. Plus a lot of it is how enjoyable the ride is with latex tubes.
Who knows maybe tpu+different tires will yield better results but sounds like not. Makes sense considering the characteristic of tpu, maybe its something you just live with.

Interesting sidenote- just read Soudal-Quickstep (Specialized sponsored) will continue into 2024 w/ cotton tires and latex tubes, counter to Specialized marketing.

6fu
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:59 am

by 6fu

I have also noticed the difference in ride feel when switching from light butyl to tpu. It just feels harsh, bouncy, like riding on plastic. The weight savings are nice though, especially since it's on the outermost part of the wheel. I've had no punctures as well.

I'm tempted to try lighter (thinner) tpu or latex in spring.

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



jayjay
Posts: 440
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:07 am
Location: Germany
Contact:

by jayjay

Anybody with experience with the Ridenow "Gravel" tubes for 32-47c tires?
Any positive/negative comments?

stinus77
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:25 pm

by stinus77

BikeTyson wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:14 pm
Man, I was just about to post this same experience. I've had the worst experience with the TPU tubes. I'm at about 50% failure with brand new tubes. I bought a 4-pack of RideNow (the original 30?g ones). 2 worked fine, 2 had holes immediately (one around the valve stem). I used the 2 good ones for a while until they both eventually picked up punctures. I then tried the ultralight 19g ones. Same issue. I'm getting immediate holes in 50% of the batch. Tried on 3 different rims, and I've used latex and butyl tubes in the past so I don't think I'm setting them up wrong unless there's a special way I don't know about. That is to say, I've never gotten a hole when setting up latex or butyl tubes. I've run the tire and rim for sharp points and it's fine. The only thing I can think of is that it's a production issue. Like I said, I'm at around 50% failure after a total of probably 12 tubes. I've tried patching with the supplied patches but they aren't great.

With that said, if you buy in bulk, they're still cheaper than latex tubes. And I can carry 2 spares (in case 1 fails) and it's still lighter than latex. So for now I'm still using them. But I'm happy (and sad) to hear other people having the same experience.
Same experience here. Installed ridenow tube yesterday for commute ride. Did ok. This morning pothole and first flat. replaced it with another one, after 500m, tube lost air. Another tube in, same results. No spare left so one hell of a journey to arrive at my work with a pump, train, pump and finally at work.

So...first flat was maybe due to the pothole, but the other 2, immediately lost air :(.

Steve Curtis
Posts: 1365
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:20 pm
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

stinus77 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:28 pm
BikeTyson wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:14 pm
Man, I was just about to post this same experience. I've had the worst experience with the TPU tubes. I'm at about 50% failure with brand new tubes. I bought a 4-pack of RideNow (the original 30?g ones). 2 worked fine, 2 had holes immediately (one around the valve stem). I used the 2 good ones for a while until they both eventually picked up punctures. I then tried the ultralight 19g ones. Same issue. I'm getting immediate holes in 50% of the batch. Tried on 3 different rims, and I've used latex and butyl tubes in the past so I don't think I'm setting them up wrong unless there's a special way I don't know about. That is to say, I've never gotten a hole when setting up latex or butyl tubes. I've run the tire and rim for sharp points and it's fine. The only thing I can think of is that it's a production issue. Like I said, I'm at around 50% failure after a total of probably 12 tubes. I've tried patching with the supplied patches but they aren't great.

With that said, if you buy in bulk, they're still cheaper than latex tubes. And I can carry 2 spares (in case 1 fails) and it's still lighter than latex. So for now I'm still using them. But I'm happy (and sad) to hear other people having the same experience.
Same experience here. Installed ridenow tube yesterday for commute ride. Did ok. This morning pothole and first flat. replaced it with another one, after 500m, tube lost air. Another tube in, same results. No spare left so one hell of a journey to arrive at my work with a pump, train, pump and finally at work.

So...first flat was maybe due to the pothole, but the other 2, immediately lost air :(.
Maybe something in the tyre and not just the pothole impact.

1sanglier
Posts: 177
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:14 pm

by 1sanglier

Hello, I have some poncture near the valve hole. How to protect this place ?
Thanks

stinus77
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:25 pm

by stinus77

Steve Curtis wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:39 pm
Maybe something in the tyre and not just the pothole impact.
Yeah, could be. I already checked it after second flat. But have to re-check this evening bit more in detail...

stinus77
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:25 pm

by stinus77

Ok, so I checked my tire. It is a tubeless (schwalbe pro one), i cleaned it (can cause this issues for a TPU? Install it in a tubeless tire?) and found nothing inside. I also checked the 2 ridenow tpu's and I found a very tiny puncture hole in both. Seems very strange to me that both got punctured after just a few minutes? Maybe bad installation on the rim and it got stuck somewhere between rim and tyre?

markyboy
Posts: 1130
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:22 pm
Location: Bristol uk

by markyboy

Can you repair a puncture with normal glue less patches like the park tool ones,or do you need Tpu patches?
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

Steve Curtis
Posts: 1365
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:20 pm
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

markyboy wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:24 pm
Can you repair a puncture with normal glue less patches like the park tool ones,or do you need Tpu patches?
A few pages back I did some testing and found the park patches are the absolute best for TPU tubes. You need to clean the tube with alcohol before you put the patch on.

markyboy
Posts: 1130
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:22 pm
Location: Bristol uk

by markyboy

Steve Curtis wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:42 pm
markyboy wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:24 pm
Can you repair a puncture with normal glue less patches like the park tool ones,or do you need Tpu patches?
A few pages back I did some testing and found the park patches are the absolute best for TPU tubes. You need to clean the tube with alcohol before you put the patch on.
Ok Steve thanks I thought they would be ok they seem more flexible,but like you said clean with alcohol first.
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

Steve Curtis
Posts: 1365
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:20 pm
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

markyboy wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:44 pm
Steve Curtis wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:42 pm
markyboy wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:24 pm
Can you repair a puncture with normal glue less patches like the park tool ones,or do you need Tpu patches?
A few pages back I did some testing and found the park patches are the absolute best for TPU tubes. You need to clean the tube with alcohol before you put the patch on.
Ok Steve thanks I thought they would be ok they seem more flexible,but like you said clean with alcohol first.
I couldn't believe the amount of BS online, so I purchased a bunch of glueless patches and tried them on various TPU tubes. Park tool were easily the best. The bond is so strong, it won't come off without pliers and in tiny pieces.

markyboy
Posts: 1130
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:22 pm
Location: Bristol uk

by markyboy

Steve Curtis wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:07 pm
markyboy wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:44 pm
Steve Curtis wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:42 pm
markyboy wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:24 pm
Can you repair a puncture with normal glue less patches like the park tool ones,or do you need Tpu patches?
A few pages back I did some testing and found the park patches are the absolute best for TPU tubes. You need to clean the tube with alcohol before you put the patch on.
Ok Steve thanks I thought they would be ok they seem more flexible,but like you said clean with alcohol first.
I couldn't believe the amount of BS online, so I purchased a bunch of glueless patches and tried them on various TPU tubes. Park tool were easily the best. The bond is so strong, it won't come off without pliers and in tiny pieces.
:thumbup:
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

Sander7721
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:41 pm

by Sander7721

Hey all
I’m doing the 225km distance of this year Mallorca 312
And have been thinking what Tyre Tube set up to run.
Weight Weenie set up is Maxxis 28mm Hyper SL with Ridenow 19g Ultralight Tubes, however I’m unsure over this distance if this will be suitable.
I also have GP5000 28mm, I am aware that the majority of puncture protection is for the tyre but thinking the Conti's with a slightly heavier TPU.
Yes Ridenow have different weights for the road tubes and I could even use the Allroad tubes at 39g, I’m assuming the plastics used for the tubes is just slightly thicker so may offer additional protection coupled with the Conti’s
SL8 Maganta 54CM 6kgs
Winspace SLC 2.0

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



Steve Curtis
Posts: 1365
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:20 pm
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

If you're going to get a puncture, you going to get a puncture with any thickness of tube.
Go tubeless or accept the potential of flatting and prepare for it.

Post Reply