33g Inner Tube - Ridenow TPU

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
jayjay

by jayjay

I just saw this 39g Ridenow TPU tube for 28-38mm tires.
Is this version maybe less vulnerable to punctures when you ride ca. 30mm tires?
Little bit more material, less stretched...

inertianinja

by inertianinja

Do we have a gold standard yet for a reliable brand?

I was using the Vittoria as my "main" tubes with RideNow as a backup, but this morning one deflated overnight for no apparent reason. Seems it holds air during rides, but dies overnight. No punctures I can find.

I tried a 19g second-gen RideNow tube (clear box, clear valve stem), but it punctured either during installation or inflation and immediately died.

I tried a 36g second-gen RideNow tube (white box, clear valve stem), and it seems to be OK.

I understand that there's a new version with a metal valve stem - are these better?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FishNo6

by FishNo6

inertianinja wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:29 pm
Do we have a gold standard yet for a reliable brand?

I was using the Vittoria as my "main" tubes with RideNow as a backup, but this morning one deflated overnight for no apparent reason. Seems it holds air during rides, but dies overnight. No punctures I can find.

I tried a 19g second-gen RideNow tube (clear box, clear valve stem), but it punctured either during installation or inflation and immediately died.

I tried a 36g second-gen RideNow tube (white box, clear valve stem), and it seems to be OK.

I understand that there's a new version with a metal valve stem - are these better?
Yes, there's a version with a metal stem - it's a rather fetching pink.

I've had good and bad examples of the 1st Gen (black plastic stem) - 2 out of 4 would lose 10-20psi overnight. My experience with the pinks is very, very limited, but so far they're not losing significant pressure overnight.

My latest 'top up' order of Ridenows should be the clear plastic stemmed ones (they're due in the next couple of days), so I'm not sure whether the clears or the pinks are Gen 3. For both the pinks and clears I'm buying the 24g version, labelled as rim-brake compatible and not the 19g version. What is obvious, and I think I've seen acknowledged by Ridenow, is that the Gen 1's valves were flawed.

EtoDemerzel

by EtoDemerzel

I have 36g race formula tubes that are totally fine. No issues with them at all.
I had a puncture which is completely invisible. Had to find it underwater, and mark it bc it was completely invisible even after identifying it.
the park glueless patch worked perfectly with it.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

inertianinja wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:29 pm
I'm also waiting for reports on these TPU tubes with metal stems, I saw that Rene Herse have also released some.
I hadmy fingers burtn with the Gen 1 Ride Now tubes so happy to wait for someone else to try them.

6fu

by 6fu

I have couple of 24g tubes with alu stems. The stem is 1/3 plastic coming from the tube and then the rest of the stem that goes towards the valve is aluminium. It just ads another junction/bond between plastic and aluminium that is unnecessary and could come apart so I don't think I will be using those.

I have black stem ones that are still going strong, no problems with stems or valves so far, and I check pressure before every ride. I believe they are 2nd gen, when they started gluing the threads of the valve cores.

wickedstealthy

by wickedstealthy

59DF45D2-469D-486B-8B20-D92123584BBD.jpeg
My experience with ridenow till now is not very positive.
I use these 24gr tpu as not safe to be used on 28mm tires with wider rims. I had a major blow out with instant flat in the back this weekend blowing off the rear tire.
The day after instant flat on the front. No blow but for me those 24gr are not safe to be used on 28mm tires with wider rims. For the record I use them on Duke wheels with 23mm inner width and Pirelli race tires almost brand new. Tires come out at 29.6mm effective

I have ran revoloop ultra tubes with wider rims and they run already for half a year without issue. I have never seen this happening on revoloop tubes.

So for safety going to try the 36gr version on the 23 rims. And see how they fair against the revoloop ultra on my 25iw wheels now

1sanglier

by 1sanglier

when I see the photo, I think the tube was "pinched" between the tire and the rim

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

It looks like a pinch flat.

MikeD

by MikeD

1sanglier wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:48 pm
when I see the photo, I think the tube was "pinched" between the tire and the rim
Agree. User error in mounting the tire/tube.

wickedstealthy

by wickedstealthy

MikeD wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:37 pm
1sanglier wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:48 pm
Agree. User error in mounting the tire/tube.
Certainly not. I check them always 3x.
I run tpu stuff already since tubolito came out so know how to mount these.
I check always 3x that the tubes are not twisted and are slightly inflated. After the mounting I inflate them slightly so I can massage them in the tire.
I rode the tires for 1000km before the blew up.
To give you a reference. I ride tubolitos already for 30k km on a Canyon, on the V3rs with these wheels I rode 8k km on revoloops and on my sse4 I rode my revoloops also for a few 1000.
I switched recently to the ridenow and riding them on my sse4 and v3rs now to try them out.

Btw measuring the ridenow in width (new) vs the revoloops in width (new) you see that the ridenow tubes are wider by quite a margin at the same weight. So that looks that the wall thickness of those tubes should be thinner.

When I tried to fix once these tubes with solvent the almost instantly desolved compared to the revoloops. So that confirms a bit that the wall thickness is likely thinner.
Could explain that they are more susceptible to issues.

Anyway I have still one bike on the 24gr so keep certainly an eye on it.
But my trust in them has a bit gone 🤣
Last edited by wickedstealthy on Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wickedstealthy

by wickedstealthy

Steve Curtis wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:09 pm
It looks like a pinch flat.
Also this happened on a perfect flat road. Not on a hit.
As mentioned I use tpu inners already many years. Actually on my canyon I ride them already for 30k km (tubos and revoloop)
I was really caught off guard. Somehow I felt a sudden strange instability at the back before it blew off.
I had a few years back a pinch flat coming off the a hill in Spain at high speed running into a rock on the road. That flatted of course. After checking the tpu tube it had two holes typically for a pinch flat. But not a rupture like this

MikeD

by MikeD

Are you running hookless rims?

wickedstealthy

by wickedstealthy

MikeD wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:23 pm
Are you running hookless rims?
No never.
But anyway I reached out via PandaPodium and they contacted Ridenow.
The mentioned the same about pinching but I almost certain that this wasnt the case as I rode the tube for 1000km and are very very carefull installing things.
I you once crashed due to a mechanic not properly installing a crank you get very wary easily :D
I mostly reached out to see if the tubes are suited for 28mm tires fitting on wide rims. As you know tires become pretty wide so wanted to be sure that its safe to use these. Not to blame things.
I didnt expect a response but the tpu tubes are tested with tires up to 32mm in 24gr version (according to RideNow) so for now I would still say they are structurally designed to be used in this configuration.
So likely it was a faulty tube or so maybe still pinched as you cant really look into the tire if still something got mangled up even being very careful.
I dont care really if it blows up ... it is more me not crashing if it happens :D :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lukaszzsch

by lukaszzsch

It my colleague’s case, maybe pinched. Generally speaking we have still been using ridenow without problems.Image

Wysłane z iPad za pomocą Tapatalk