33g Inner Tube - Ridenow TPU

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Stolensteel

by Stolensteel

Oh OK so as I thought. I will apply it there, good to know and thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

spudgun72 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:20 pm
Searching online for a discussion forum about these Aliexpress Ridenow TPU tubes.

I have bought x4 36g tubes and x2 24g tubes.

Installed as per instructions on my mavic cosmic wheels / conti GP5000 28mm tyres. Initial results excellent, but then within a few cycles, slow loss of tyre pressure noticed. Examining the TPU tube under water, only slightly inflated ( to avoid damaging the TPU), very hard to identify any air leaks. However after a while, very slow formation of air bubbles seen on multiple locations - seemingly on the inner rim surface of tube.

I thought maybe the wheels needed new rim tape/ cleaned / clean the tyre surface - so did all this, using gorilla tape in rim - now pristine.

Replaced with x2 new tubes, all good but then after a few days, slow leakage again - 20-30psi overnight, but not defalting completely - so still at 25-35 psi. I inflate my tryes normally to between 70-80psi. Frustrating!

I then tried one of the lighter 24g Ridenow tubes, exact same result.

I have patch kits but not sure if worth doing if muliple micro air holes are developing? Also considered using some sealant in the tubes, but sort of defeats the purpose of using low weight tubes.

A batch of Cyclami TPU (green ) tubes have just arrived. Going to try these next.

Any ideas on what I should do or if I'm doing something wrong here? Reluctant to return to butyl tubes or use latex( daily pump doesn't appeal). I'm not sure my wheelset would go tubeless and would need to buy new tubeless ready tyres.

Any help appreciated.
Man, I was just about to post this same experience. I've had the worst experience with the TPU tubes. I'm at about 50% failure with brand new tubes. I bought a 4-pack of RideNow (the original 30?g ones). 2 worked fine, 2 had holes immediately (one around the valve stem). I used the 2 good ones for a while until they both eventually picked up punctures. I then tried the ultralight 19g ones. Same issue. I'm getting immediate holes in 50% of the batch. Tried on 3 different rims, and I've used latex and butyl tubes in the past so I don't think I'm setting them up wrong unless there's a special way I don't know about. That is to say, I've never gotten a hole when setting up latex or butyl tubes. I've run the tire and rim for sharp points and it's fine. The only thing I can think of is that it's a production issue. Like I said, I'm at around 50% failure after a total of probably 12 tubes. I've tried patching with the supplied patches but they aren't great.

With that said, if you buy in bulk, they're still cheaper than latex tubes. And I can carry 2 spares (in case 1 fails) and it's still lighter than latex. So for now I'm still using them. But I'm happy (and sad) to hear other people having the same experience.

jonske

by jonske

Ordered 4x 19g RideNow tubes, bit worried about their reliability now after reading some comments here 😅

markyboy

by markyboy

I am going to give these a try and I have ordered 4,my wheels are bora ultra 45 with no rim tape as the rims are sealed.
My question is will it be ok straight onto the rim or do you think I should put a layer of rim tape on?
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

jlok

by jlok

markyboy wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:36 am
I am going to give these a try and I have ordered 4,my wheels are bora ultra 45 with no rim tape as the rims are sealed.
My question is will it be ok straight onto the rim or do you think I should put a layer of rim tape on?
No need. Just go straight to the rims. I do that on my Ultra 60.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

markyboy

by markyboy

jlok wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:41 am
markyboy wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:36 am
No need. Just go straight to the rims. I do that on my Ultra 60.
Many thanks :thumbup:
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

PFoxy

by PFoxy

Received my two tubes. What is that sticker for which comes with each tube? Has a hole in the middle but looks like the valve is too think to get through it... any idea?

jayjay

by jayjay

PFoxy wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:13 pm
Received my two tubes. What is that sticker for which comes with each tube? Has a hole in the middle but looks like the valve is too think to get through it... any idea?
This question has already been answered on page 24

BikeEatSleepRepeat

by BikeEatSleepRepeat

3 rides in on a pair of these and I'm impressed.

I've ridden latex exclusively the last 4-5 years and find these similar in some ways, but mostly better.

They seem faster to me, and post ride I feel fresher.

I expected them to be harsh, and while the ride feel is less muted than latex it is not harsh but nicely more "planted".

I noted only very slight air loss over the span of three rides, hardly enough to even bother topping off.

The constant latex leaking will not be missed.

Just ordered another pair, so I'm a convert.

mattcooke
Resident Pro

by mattcooke

You all that are having failures, are you reaching back out to the manufacturer or seller and asking for a refund? If so, what are they saying?

Best,
Matt

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

I wonder how many of the failures are due to user error.... Gotta be super careful when installing and handling these tubes. It is so easy to have them squezed between rim and tire and puncture the tube. Or not be careful enough with the stem valve.

Happened to a friend of mine. Zero issues myself but I am not stressing tube replacements.

JayDee81

by JayDee81

I'd be more interested in how many people run them with carbon rim brake wheels. When I used tpu tubes on my old rim brake bike, the ride was great but they didn't last. Each one lasted around a month at most. Now on my disc brake bike I don't have these issues anymore.

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

JayDee81 wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:30 pm
I'd be more interested in how many people run them with carbon rim brake wheels. When I used tpu tubes on my old rim brake bike, the ride was great but they didn't last. Each one lasted around a month at most. Now on my disc brake bike I don't have these issues anymore.
I've been using them for two years on a Cervelo S3 rim brake. No issues and some big stops from 90kph with me at 80kg.
Gp5000 on a Reynolds rim then a Lightbike rim.

usr

by usr

No issues in WTO rim. Killed two TPU with brake heat on aluminium rims, both at the stem connection where tape is likely to have a small gap anyways.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com