Best Clincher Tires - 2022

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
GorrGrimWolf

by GorrGrimWolf

Hi guys,

Lots of info about tubeless tires, but couldnt find much about regular clinchers. I used to run tubulars for almost a decade, but switched to clinchers as Campagnolo WTO were not available in tubular version and having disc brakes I no longer see the need to stick with tubes.

Now have Vittoria G2.0 (regular, no control/speed) in 25mm with latex inner tubes. Very grippy, almost feel the drag in a straight libe. They definitely not feel superfast, but trust them in wet and dry. Suppleness seems good.

But looking for a replacement. Ideally tan wall tire. Loved Veloflex tubs, last I had the updated version where they changed the logo. Extremely slippery in wet, bur dry grip was astonishing.

Anything on the market that is as supple as Vittoria, with a similar grip in both dry and wet, feel faster?

Read good feedback on Pirelli, Veloflex too, but cannot say how is the wet grip. Other suggestion?

Thanks guys!
Last edited by GorrGrimWolf on Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jackofallgrades

by Jackofallgrades

I used the same Corsas and width for a while and had the same conclusions. As such they're still my summer dailies, but whenever the intention is to go fast (races, chaingangs or TTs) I substitute in Specialized Turbo Cottons. Very close in suppleness, grip as good even if feel isn't quite. What I mean by that is Corsas give me an unrivalled feel of the tyre and what's happening at the contact patch. The cottons have me going just as fast around my local corners, but with a lot more blind trust it feels like. They certainly roll much faster. Puncture protection has been fine, but I've not done huge miles in them.
Cannondale SSEvo3 'Atticus' - 7.2kg
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=161634

Cannondale Systemsix ’Dante’ - 7.7kg
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=167144

jlok

by jlok

GorrGrimWolf wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:47 pm
Hi guys,

Lots of info about tubeless tires, but couldnt find much about regular clinchers. I used to run tubulars for almost a decade, but switched to clinchers and Campagnolo WTO were not available in tubular version and having disc brakes I no longer see the need to stick with tubes.

Now have Vittoria G2.0 (regular, no control/speed) in 25mm with latex inner tubes. Very grippy, almost feel the drag in a straight lind. They definately not feel superfast, but trust them in wet and dry. Suppleness seems ok.

But looking for a replacement. Ideally tan wall tire. Loved Veloflex tubs, last I had the uodated version where they changed the logo. Extremely slippery in wet, bur dry grip was astonishing.

Anything on the market that is as supple as Vittoria, with a similar grip in both dry and wet, feel faster?

Read good feedback on Pirelli, Veloflex too, but cannot say how is the wet grip. Other suggestion?

Thanks guys!
Maxxis High Road. Very grippy wet and dry, and supple (I suspect the thin side wall contributes a lot to the suppleness). It's very light, if not the lightest. The "downside" is that it's not tan wall.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

robertbb

by robertbb

GorrGrimWolf wrote:
Extremely slippery in wet, but dry grip was astonishing.

That's veloflex in less than 10 words :lol:

GorrGrimWolf

by GorrGrimWolf

robertbb wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:43 am
That's veloflex in less than 10 words :lol:
I had good experience with their Roubaix offering before they rebrand and change the pruduction line.

But the new version was just ridiculous in wet. Slightly damped and rear tire started to skid much sooner then I think was possible. Not confidence inspiring.

PeytonM

by PeytonM

Yeah vittoria G2.0 are great tyres, apart from feeling a little slower, grip feel and confidence is unmatched. My times aren't slower in strava either.

Yet for some reason I keep trying gp5000's because they feel really fast, ride em a bit, square the rear off and loose my cornering confidence and switch back to vittoria.

req110

by req110

Any news here? I am wondering which tires to get in order to ride them with TPU tubes.

Continental gp 5000 ?
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

nikospeed

by nikospeed

Michelin Power Cup clinchers. Cheap, light, fast, grippy. Almost as subtle as TCs (for me). I run them with Latex and TPU. Note - their WAM matches advertised size only on 16/17C rims. For use on wider rims you might need to order a nominally smaller size.

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

GorrGrimWolf wrote:
Hi guys,

Lots of info about tubeless tires, but couldnt find much about regular clinchers. I used to run tubulars for almost a decade, but switched to clinchers as Campagnolo WTO were not available in tubular version and having disc brakes I no longer see the need to stick with tubes.
Aren't all WTO wheels considered to be 2-Way, i.e., they can take either standard clincher/tube combos or tubeless tires?? I could have swore that they have sealed rim beds and and accept tubeless.

That would open up a few more options for you, though almost all of them have a regular clincher equivalent.

I have personally enjoyed my Conti 5000S TL, but have a set of Vittoria Corsa Control tires for when it's finally time to change them out.

Nixster

by Nixster

WTO are 2-way fit, clincher or tubeless but not tubular.
I've run Veloflex Corsa race and GP5000 in tubeless on mine. Both were okay, Veloflex weep sealant though hence change to GP5000, which are quick feeling and have proven reliable, in the wet too.
I've recently used Pirelli pzero race with a latex tube on some other wheels and they've been good too, a tubeless tyre but with a tube in...
I guess I'm saying you could run either type on the WTOs and use a tube in them. But I struggle to see why you wouldn't take full advantage of the capability of the wheels and run them tubeless?

BikeEatSleepRepeat

by BikeEatSleepRepeat

nikospeed wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:23 am
Michelin Power Cup clinchers. Cheap, light, fast, grippy. Almost as subtle as TCs (for me). I run them with Latex and TPU. .
+1 on the Power Cups.

froze

by froze

I bought 2 pairs of Vittoria Open Pave CG III for the price of one single tire! Then I decided not to use those tires without using latex tubes, so I bought a pair of Vitt tubes. I'm not going to put them on till next season but I look forward to using them, they're supposed to be very similar to the feel of tubulars with the latex tubes.

I bought two pairs because I read in a review that they don't wear long, but at the price I paid, I don't care how long they last!

rockb

by rockb

Power Cups - changed all bikes from GP 5000 / Turbo Cotton to Power Cups (clincher). Fast, light and super smooth

CN2

by CN2

+1 Power Cups 28 mm clincher

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com