Winspace Hyper 65 vs 67 Review

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
vanillaflyweight

by vanillaflyweight

Very interesting review, I was set on the 67s but now not so sure. Out of interest were you running 23s on both wheelsets? Any issues with the 21mm internal width?

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Same here, i feel it's a no go sadly!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

May i ask, talking wheelset like these, let's say 17-21 ID and 28mm OD, deepth about +60 up to 70mm (rim brake), what would you go for?
Talking stability in crosswinds
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

zappafile123

by zappafile123

vanillaflyweight wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 2:12 am
Very interesting review, I was set on the 67s but now not so sure. Out of interest were you running 23s on both wheelsets? Any issues with the 21mm internal width?
Yeah I ran GP5000s in 23 on both wheelsets. I would say that you need to be cautious doing it on the 67s because the edge of the rim is just a fraction wider than the tire when the tire is not inflated properly. My rear wheel had an underinflated tire at about 60-70PSI (had a latex tube and I didnt have access to a pump for a couple of days) and I hit a pothole at 50km/h, the rim hit the edge of the pothole and pinch flatted. I would say this is probably what weakened the rim and why it delaminated when a tire lever was used on that spot. In the end I got a crash replacement discount from Winspace and opted to get another set of Hyper65s. I should have gotten a set of 50s!
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

zappafile123 wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 11:05 pm
vanillaflyweight wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 2:12 am
Yeah I ran GP5000s in 23 on both wheelsets. I would say that you need to be cautious doing it on the 67s because the edge of the rim is just a fraction wider than the tire when the tire is not inflated properly. My rear wheel had an underinflated tire at about 60-70PSI (had a latex tube and I didnt have access to a pump for a couple of days) and I hit a pothole at 50km/h, the rim hit the edge of the pothole and pinch flatted. I would say this is probably what weakened the rim and why it delaminated when a tire lever was used on that spot. In the end I got a crash replacement discount from Winspace and opted to get another set of Hyper65s. I should have gotten a set of 50s!
This is interesting!
I rode Easton Aero 55 tubular. I spoke to Easton which recommended 22-23mm for best aero effect.
The rims were the widest at their time. The brake track is like 28mm and the rims are 30mm at it's widest!
Ok, so i mounted 23mm tubulars and just like you state, the rims walls are wider than the tire.
All good until you hit something, no matter what. If the tire contract at one spot only, and rim wall is actually higher, bang and your rim(s) are dead.
That is exactly what happened to mine.

I didn't even see it at first trying to repair the puncture with sealant.
But the tube inside the tire was demolished around that region (rim damage).
So i would also be cautious using a tire that is not supporting the rim walls.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

ringolong

by ringolong

Wow. I can't believe the reviews here!

Super fast, super stable, light and cheap. (Get them if you want it all! I am on my third set from Lun....)

Here is a link to my strava if you want to see my rides. https://www.strava.com/athletes/18124937

RadB

by RadB

I've run 65s for a few years. There are three limitations, in order to me 1) cross wind stability 2) tyre width restriction (gp5k s tr blows up to around 26) and 3) weight. Fast wheel otherwise, but the era of deep section wheels in group ride/racing environments is over, imo.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

^ nothing wrong with U shaped 55mm-65mm wheels for solo rides on flat terrain. I'm not letting go of my 55mm Eastons on my aero bike anytime soon. Sure cross wind performance isn't as good as shallower wheels and they lack a bit of handling finesse, but they hold speed better than shallower wheels.

The way forward is probably 50mm front 60mm rear, removes many of the disadvantages of going deep.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress