NEW GP5000S TR

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
tonytourist

by tonytourist

I've only been on hookless rims on the road bike for the last 3 years, no issues with tires on the approved list. Even better that there are more options out now, I wouldn't worry if you're sticking with Continental TRs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

blackcatwheels

by blackcatwheels

I just scrapped two brand new S TR tires. I could not seal them. Air was going out through side walls and side walls are thin like a paper. Tires were fast and super light but with 80ml of Orange sealant, they were loosing whole air in few hours.
I had similar issue with GP5000 TL models where I returned 10 tires, all with the same issue. Big disappointment and quality issues by Conti.
Handbuilt wheels.
I ride wheels I build, I build wheels for riders
-----------------------------------------------------
https://carbonone.pl/
https://blackcatwheels.ch/

Maddie

by Maddie

My gp5000s tr weep through the sidewalls too but only when new and before I add sealant. After adding 30ml of Orange Regular sealant to each wheel, the weeping stops completely

Gesendet von meinem SM-G973U1 mit Tapatalk

blackcatwheels

by blackcatwheels

Maddie wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:36 pm
My gp5000s tr weep through the sidewalls too but only when new and before I add sealant. After adding 30ml of Orange Regular sealant to each wheel, the weeping stops completely

Gesendet von meinem SM-G973U1 mit Tapatalk
lucky you as those tires are really fast.
In my case I added 40ml of sealant, rode, then added once more 40ml, rode and still they were loosing air in 4-5 hours. 80ml / tire was extra 80g so no point of lightweight tires. Switched to latest Schwalbe pro one and they kept air for 24h without any sealant
Handbuilt wheels.

Lakal

by Lakal

blackcatwheels wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:11 pm
I just scrapped two brand new S TR tires. I could not seal them. Air was going out through side walls and side walls are thin like a paper. Tires were fast and super light but with 80ml of Orange sealant, they were loosing whole air in few hours.
I had similar issue with GP5000 TL models where I returned 10 tires, all with the same issue. Big disappointment and quality issues by Conti.
My experience is the same as Maddie.
Did you try with different wheelsets?
I haven't heard about these quality issues before.

blackcatwheels

by blackcatwheels

Lakal wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:21 pm
blackcatwheels wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:11 pm
My experience is the same as Maddie.
Did you try with different wheelsets?
I haven't heard about these quality issues before.
Nothing to do with wheelset. On the same wheels I installed Schwalbe pro which worked like a charm

Air should never leak through side walls. It's not a job of sealant to fix that. Adding 2x more sealant kills the purpose of lightweight tire IMO. I remember using GP5000TL tires when they showed up for the first time. They were perfect and I rode across whole Switzerland using those. Then, with time when offering them in wheelbuilding for clients I started to get more and more warranty claims. When I showed that to Conti they asked to return whole batch of tires and they honoured refund with no questions asked
Handbuilt wheels.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

If you can say for certain, that it's not the wheel (usually this is the rim tape), then you either have faulty sealant or a faulty tire. I run these on several bikes and they have Bein flawless. 30-45 ml of sealant (depending on width and usecase) and they are air tight.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

blackcatwheels

by blackcatwheels

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:41 pm
If you can say for certain, that it's not the wheel (usually this is the rim tape), then you either have faulty sealant or a faulty tire. I run these on several bikes and they have Bein flawless. 30-45 ml of sealant (depending on width and usecase) and they are air tight.
not the wheel and not the tape. Tape stayed the same and new tires don't loose air
I always make soapy test before adding sealant. If I see lot of bubbles on side walls, that means trouble
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gqk6g3yyzag0s ... 1.MOV?dl=0
Handbuilt wheels.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

only thing I notice about 5000sTR vs other tubeless is more sealent leakage from the rim/tire interface, not from the actual sidewall themselves (like ReneHerse)
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Shocked to hear about leaking 5000TR. I guess mine are without this defect. Mounted with no sealant weeping from anywhere. Held air perfectly from first minute. Orange Seal regular.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

kervelo

by kervelo

Never had any issues with 5000 S TR. The tyres can be easily seated with just a floor pump and they hold air without the sealant pretty well. No sealant coming thru the side walls (using Orange Seal). As already said, most likely a faulty tyre or the tyre was damaged during the installation.

spartacus

by spartacus

If anyone can't get theirs mounted and is going to bin them, I'll pay shipping for them so they don't go to a landfill.

maxima

by maxima

Instead of dumbing the tyre that doesn't seal, put in latex tube and use it?

I've been thru 6 pieces of 5000S TR in both 25mm and 28mm width, 2 pieces will lose air regadless using as much as 60g to 90g sealant. Air lost is as much as 30-40PSI in half a day(8-12hrs), which is unaccepatble, while the 4 pieces will lose 10-20 PSI max overnight(12hrs) - this is at least acceptable.

Have use Silca, Joe's and Orange Sealant -- given up on this!!!

kervelo wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:34 am
Never had any issues with 5000 S TR. The tyres can be easily seated with just a floor pump and they hold air without the sealant pretty well. No sealant coming thru the side walls (using Orange Seal). As already said, most likely a faulty tyre or the tyre was damaged during the installation.

DieselCondor

by DieselCondor

Looks like I'm going to have to swap
Out my corsa next's in the next month as they are getting tatty.
They have been great winter tyres but I would like something quicker for spring/summer.
Can any UK/other crap climate gp5000s TR users feedback on their long term experience in less than perfect conditions?

raggedtrousers

by raggedtrousers

DieselCondor wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:06 pm
Looks like I'm going to have to swap
Out my corsa next's in the next month as they are getting tatty.
They have been great winter tyres but I would like something quicker for spring/summer.
Can any UK/other crap climate gp5000s TR users feedback on their long term experience in less than perfect conditions?
I can't offer long term experience, but I can offer a 'so far, so good'.

For reference, I was a pretty committed GP5000TL user, and regarded them as the gold standard for a fast tyre that was actually robust enough for 3 season riding. However, when I bought the 303FC (obviously hookless), I went to the Goodyear Eagle F1 on various recommendations and because my LBS were offering a very good deal on them. To be fair, they have been absolutely fine - easy to fit, sort of fast, grippy-ish, have held pressure well, and had no punctures in around 10,000km - but nothing special. The back tyre was about 90% worn at this point (front I'd guess 65-70%) as well, and as I had £100 in vouchers at Sigma that were coming up to expiry, so I took the plunge on a set of GP5000S TR in 30mm.

Both tyres mounted fine - 1 tyre lever needed for the last section on each, but no great force needed - and both seated first time with a basic track pump. The bead snapping in is loud on these! On first mounting, 1 tyre lost a decent amount of pressure overnight; adding an extra 20mm sealant, then taking it for a ride, fixed that. Mounted on 303FC they come up ~32mm.

I've got about 300km on them so far, including in some pretty crap weather. I ride mainly semi-rural lanes, so road quality is often poor, though I do try to avoid sections that are very potholed or broken. So far, they have been great; they are noticeably quicker and grippier than the Goodyears they replaced. Touching wood, no punctures of any kind so far. The ride feel is very similar - neither match Corsas - but they're certainly not garden hoses, either.

Like all tubeless (in my experience) they do lose pressure slowly; I've found they're dropping from ~50 to ~40 over the course of a week. But it's a 5 minute job to sort.

I don't seem to have lost any speed going from 28 to 30mm, but the grip and comfort are definitely better. For an all-round fast road bike, I think 30 or 32 is a bit of a no brainer if your frame will take them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com