NEW GP5000S TR

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
ddddd1

by ddddd1

Some new models were spotted on the opening weekend:
https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/op ... on-opener/
Besides (kinda expected) 5000 TT TR, there was also 5000 AS TR. Maybe some small update that might explain why 5000 S TR are currently hard to find and pricey?
Enid: Scott Addict RC Ultimate Team Ed - 7.2 kg (in. pedals and bottle cages)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

It's the new all season 5000. Replacement for the old 4 season 4000.

Basically a 5000s TR for winter. Will go up to 35mm. More puncture protection
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

RDY

by RDY

Judging by that small pic, I'd guess the 5000 AS TR has a lot less chunk and tread pattern etching than the outgoing 4 series. I suspect this will perform like the GP5K TL, but with a bit better grip in nasty conditions, and slightly better puncture protection. Which would be really welcome. The 5K TL has been discontinued, the 4Seasons 4K is pretty old and not tubeless compatible, and the S TR has significantly degraded puncture protection over the TL. Maybe new GOAT training tire.

Edit: didn't realise pics and availability were already out there. Available in cream too apparently. 32mm is 385g which is pretty porky ... but if it has low RR, I guess who cares.

hansotto089

by hansotto089

How comfortable would you guys be running a 32c 5000 S TR hookless on a 27mm inner, 32mm outer width rim?

TLN

by TLN

hansotto089 wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:50 pm
How comfortable would you guys be running a 32c 5000 S TR hookless on a 27mm inner, 32mm outer width rim?
Will be 34-35 I guess.
I'm running 30C Corsa Control TLR on 25mm internal, and it baloons to 32mm which is my external. Violating 105% rule, will be correct with 28c tires in summer.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Officially against ETRTO guidelines, but I’d probably be comfortable using them with 27mm wide hooked rims and ~50psi.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

hansotto089 wrote:How comfortable would you guys be running a 32c 5000 S TR hookless on a 27mm inner, 32mm outer width rim?
Outside ETRTO as well as outside Continental’s limits. Bearing in mind the specific maximum pressure for hookless, I’d not chance it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spartacus

by spartacus

Where can one buy the new TR AS? They're supposed to be "out" today.

Buexx

by Buexx

Dumb question, what's the difference of this TT version than the one we already got around tour de France time last year?

handler

by handler

No, except for the price.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

As far as I remember, the price for the "TdF limited edition" was like 100 eur per tyre anyway (at least I recall looking at that number on r2-bike, and saying to me: nooo, this time I'll pass), so even the price hasn't really changed much.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

mrlobber wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:57 pm
As far as I remember, the price for the "TdF limited edition" was like 100 eur per tyre anyway (at least I recall looking at that number on r2-bike, and saying to me: nooo, this time I'll pass), so even the price hasn't really changed much.

Funnily enough , while the TT TdF has a US MSRP of $120, it often marked down to ~$70 because 25mm tires are falling out of favor.
Buexx wrote: Dumb question, what's the difference of this TT version than the one we already got around tour de France time last year?

The big news is that there's now a 28mm version.

Buexx

by Buexx

Okay, so not an "improved improved" version and I can happily continue running the two I got on my TT bikes front wheels.

kervelo

by kervelo

spartacus wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:15 pm
Where can one buy the new TR AS? They're supposed to be "out" today.
At least b24 and bike-discount have them. Model availability varies, seems that some sizes were sold out in just a couple of days.

Edit: bike-mailorder has 25-622 and 28-622 sizes available at 61€.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RDY

by RDY

Anyone seen any pics of GPs or other tires being run mismatched re: color? Wanna see how it might look. I'm thinking about running the AS TR 32 cream on the rear and the S TR 30 black or tan on the front. Ideally I'd run cream/cream but Conti don't yet offer the S TR in it. Since cream is available, I'd much rather run it, as it's a lot more eye catching to other road users - namely bad drivers. I don't really think the extra PP and weight on the front tire is going to be worth it over the S TR; rear is a different matter.