NEW GP5000S TR

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
spartacus

by spartacus

kervelo wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:32 am
spartacus wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:15 pm
Where can one buy the new TR AS? They're supposed to be "out" today.
At least b24 and bike-discount have them. Model availability varies, seems that some sizes were sold out in just a couple of days.

Edit: bike-mailorder has 25-622 and 28-622 sizes available at 61€.
Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

parajba

by parajba

I am sure it has already been discussed at length, but this tread is fairly long, so here it is the question. I have been using the 5000 TR for 2 years, I like them. Fast, good cornering and grip, strong, relatively light.

I need to replace them, I bought a pair of the S TR as they don't make the TR anymore.

How is it? Real life feedback

PS: I am going from the 25mm TR to the 28mm S TR.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Do u mean from 5000 TL to 5000S TR?

parajba

by parajba

robbosmans wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:58 pm
Do u mean from 5000 TL to 5000S TR?
Yes sorry! My bad.

Mocs123

by Mocs123

The S-TR is slightly faster, lighter, and is supposed to have slightly stronger sidewalls, though they don't last as long, or have as much puncture protection on the tread.

Some people prefer the TL, some like the S-TR.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

parajba wrote:I am sure it has already been discussed at length, but this tread is fairly long, so here it is the question. I have been using the 5000 TR for 2 years, I like them. Fast, good cornering and grip, strong, relatively light.

I need to replace them, I bought a pair of the S TR as they don't make the TR anymore.

How is it? Real life feedback

PS: I am going from the 25mm TR to the 28mm S TR.
I think the TR is more accurately sized for tubeless rims. TL was notoriously impossible to get on many rims - Mavic in particular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AnthonyE

by AnthonyE

I really like my STR's. They are very supple, fast, and grippy. I did struggle to get them on my tubeless carbon wheels but they are slightly easier than the TL's. I threw a bit of a fit trying to get my TL's on, seems like they were excessively tighter than any other tire I have used. I will say that I can tell the STR's are not as durable and seem like they will puncture much easier than the TL's. When running them I make sure not to ride on sandy roads.

Finn

by Finn

TobinHatesYou wrote:
mrlobber wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:57 pm
As far as I remember, the price for the "TdF limited edition" was like 100 eur per tyre anyway (at least I recall looking at that number on r2-bike, and saying to me: nooo, this time I'll pass), so even the price hasn't really changed much.

Funnily enough , while the TT TdF has a US MSRP of $120, it often marked down to ~$70 because 25mm tires are falling out of favor.
Buexx wrote: Dumb question, what's the difference of this TT version than the one we already got around tour de France time last year?

The big news is that there's now a 28mm version.
BRR has 28mm version of the TT on the voting list, hopefully it'll get enough votes and be tested.

polpy

by polpy

Do the sidewall still disintegrate and you have to cut the strings off?

NordicSal

by NordicSal

polpy wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:17 pm
Not a problem I've had on the S TR, only on the TL

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

polpy wrote:
I got the “strings” on one S TR tire, so it can still happen. It’s never been a major concern of mine though. The S TR sidewalls are definitely more robust than the TL sidewalls.

polpy

by polpy

TobinHatesYou wrote:
polpy wrote:
I got the “strings” on one S TR tire, so it can still happen. It’s never been a major concern of mine though. The S TR sidewalls are definitely more robust than the TL sidewalls.
Thanks, this was the main reason for not using the old 5k anymore.

Aeo

by Aeo

Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

maxima

by maxima

The price is similar to car tyres....... :shock:

RDY

by RDY

GP5000 AS TR review is in at BRR.

Bit disappointing from my potential use case. Puncture resistance is significantly poorer than Pirelli & Challenge race tires, or even Schwalbe. RR a little worse than expected.

However as a fairly fast wet weather tire they're likely great, due to outstanding wet grip.

I don't ride in the wet and just wanted a more durable GP5000 S TR, which these aren't really. I'll be very curious to see how fast the Italian made Pirellis are and if they kept their puncture resistance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com