NEW GP5000S TR

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Mocs123

by Mocs123

High end cycling gear is priced high because the market is generally people with a lot of disposable income. The same could be said of golf gear, fly-fishing gear, etc. I'm not saying it's right, but just that that's the way it is.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spartacus

by spartacus

Hexsense wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:40 pm
spartacus wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:23 pm
The AS feels pretty fast, curious how it ends up in the RR tests.
Published: 2023-03-31
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... 5000-as-tr
Nice, slower but not bad.

warthog101

by warthog101

ultimobici wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:49 pm
warthog101 wrote:
Yes agree that the price seems set to maximise profit.
I don't see it justified by manufacturing or distribution costs.
People are prepared to pay the price and you would expect they are making good money. As I said, chapeau Continental

As somebody else said, we need more competition to affect demand.
Don't know that others won't follow the Conti lead in terms of pricing though.
If you think anything you buy is priced solely by calculating how much the raw materials & labour are you don’t understand capitalism or free market economics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you read my post and believe that is what I am saying, that it is solely based on production costs, then perhaps disregard my posts.

I am saying the price "seems set to maximise profit".
It is set at what the market will support. The price rise over earlier and similar versions of their tyres cannot be explained solely by any increase in development and production costs.
They have made a class leading product and are charging class leading prices, you would expect they are making class leading profit as the market seems willing to support those prices. Good luck to them.
I will attempt to shut up and stay out of this thread.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

ultimobici wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:49 pm
If you think anything you buy is priced solely by calculating how much the raw materials & labour are you don’t understand capitalism or free market economics.
Just to be fair to all, companies in the bike industry may use a variety of pricing strategies, depending on strategic goals of the company, management preference, etc. I often see comment in this forum that a price is not justified. To that the simple answer is yes, prices could be based on what the consumer is willing to pay (Customer Value Based Pricing) and not the cost to produce. At the other end of the spectrum, a company may choose to use simple cost plus pricing - this approach is where some will view the price as "justified". And it is almost certain that many bike related items we buy are indeed priced "solely by calculating how much the raw materials & labour are". This also qualifies as good ol' fashioned capitalism, particularely if it is how your company can be most competitive.

But there are other options as well, including Competition Based Pricing - charging near what the competition charges. Companies may then layer brand postioning strategies on top of these other approaches, making at choice to price below, at, or above similar products to position their product as a "value" brand (Giant?) or perhaps as a prestige brand with a higher price.

Lately, the most effective companies start with the consumer, using the aformentioned Customer Value Based Pricing. Being customer-centric has been shown to produce long term benefit to the company. Companies find out what the consumer wants and what they are willing to pay, and then satisfy that demand. I don't know how much of this we see in the bike industry, perhaps an informal version. Doing it thoroughly requires a very sophisticate organization involving advanced market research. More likely is Target Profit Pricing in which companies factor in ALL their operation costs, forecasted sales numbers, and then price to produce a target profit that would result when all units are sold.

And all of this get confused by what retailers may do with pricing. Discounts or not, etc.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

parajba

by parajba

I need a favour, I am sure it has been focussed before but hey, 65 pages lol

On Roval CLX rims, 20.9m, the previous generation from 2019, is it better to use 25mm or 28mm?

Context: European racing and competitive granfondos. I am 66kg.

Is 28mm at the back and 25mm at the front a thing, or should I just do 28mm front and back? I am currently on 25mm albeit the TR non S. How does yhe S compare to the non S in term of shape, confort, dry and wet grip? Am not asking about speed because I remember the S is slightly faster, with slightly stronger side walls.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

You mean you're on the TL not the S TR. The S TR measure smaller overall. If your roads are smooth, run 25s. If not, run 28s. Simple as that.

parajba

by parajba

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 5:51 am
You mean you're on the TL not the S TR. The S TR measure smaller overall. If your roads are smooth, run 25s. If not, run 28s. Simple as that.
Thanks, yes, you are right.
Roads not too smooth, so 28 it is. Thanks again!

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

parajba wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 5:54 am

Thanks, yes, you are right.
Roads not too smooth, so 28 it is. Thanks again!
Yep, the beauty of something with the dimensions of the CLX 32 / 64 is that 25s and 28s work almost equally well aerodynamically. 25s might be every so slightly faster in a windtunnel, but add real-life roads and the 28s are going to make up any aero efficiency losses with comfort and Crr gains. Plus you'll corner/descend more confidently for sure.

parajba

by parajba

Just finished mounting then. They surely look nice and feel very grippy, you can tell just by touching them that the rubber is of a different mix from the TL. I have also ordered 4 x Veloflex Corsa Evo TLR in size 28 with tan sidewall, yummy. They should arrive next week. Finally the supply is stabilising and the choice is back.

parajba

by parajba

First ride today. They surely don't feel any slower than my old TL 25mm. But that grip! Jeez, it's massively better. They corner very well.

scapewalker

by scapewalker

Do you guys reckon there is much of a penalty riding the S TR with a latex tube compared to a tubeless setup in regards to rolling resistance?

I have been quite happy riding it with a tube and setting it up tubeless was a pain on my CLX64s. Debating whether it's worth the hassle switching for race season.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

scapewalker wrote:Do you guys reckon there is much of a penalty riding the S TR with a latex tube compared to a tubeless setup in regards to rolling resistance?

I have been quite happy riding it with a tube and setting it up tubeless was a pain on my CLX64s. Debating whether it's worth the hassle switching for race season.
Seems a little pointless to use a tyre with a tubeless casing that is 40g heavier with a latex inner tube. The system is heavier and the casing is stiffer negating any benefit the latex tube imparts.

Maddie

by Maddie

If tubeless is not your thing, there's always the gp5000 clincher tire that works well with latex tubes.

Mocs123

by Mocs123

scapewalker wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:56 pm
Do you guys reckon there is much of a penalty riding the S TR with a latex tube compared to a tubeless setup in regards to rolling resistance?

BRR already did the test.....

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... s-vs-tubes

Of course as others have said - if you just want to run tubes, get the regular GP5000 (that's what I run with latex tubes).
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Pulled my first sidewall thread off my TR's. I thought Continental had the thread problem solved. Wonder what would happen if the sidewall of a car tire started to disintegrate? Likely the manufacturer would have the feds up their ass instantly and be forced to recall the product.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.