NEW GP5000S TR

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
cleanneon98

by cleanneon98

BigBoyND wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:04 pm
cleanneon98 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:24 pm
BigBoyND wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:02 am
Lina wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:47 am
Tires are the single biggest contributor to comfort also. A good well rolling tire makes any bike much more enjoyable to ride than your average garden hose tire.
This is what made me move away from the S TR
What are you using now
Power Cup TLR. Recently got the Tufo Comtura Prima and will try those out when it warms up.

One of my bikes still has well worn S TR and I'll change those when they're dead.
Interesting. And why those over the S TR? I hear Michelin is finally making decent tires but never heard of Tufo. I was between S TR and P-Zero TLR and went continental
2024 Madone SLR 9 (Ultegra) - 7.5kg-ish
2021 FUEL EX 9.9 AXS - Thicc

Mocs123

by Mocs123

I'm not BigBoyND, but I assume he likes a more supple tire than the S-TR. While all of the Continental GP5K series have a lot of good properties (i.e. - they roll well and are reasonably durable), they're not super supple tires and some people just don't like the feel.

Tufo is a brand best known for their tubular tires.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

cleanneon98 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:36 pm
Interesting. And why those over the S TR? I hear Michelin is finally making decent tires but never heard of Tufo. I was between S TR and P-Zero TLR and went continental
The Power Cup feels like absolute butter compared to S TR without giving up much in any other way. So far it's my favorite training tire, by a long shot.

The Tufo Comtura Prima sounds interesting because they make SES tires which are known to feel very supple. Meanwhile it's only a hair behind S TR on CRR, scores better on puncture protection, has more grip, and does all this while weighing less than TT tires. Compared to Vittoria/Michelin, there's also the added bonus of being made in EU.

Agent041

by Agent041

BigBoyND wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:28 am
cleanneon98 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:36 pm
The Power Cup feels like absolute butter compared to S TR without giving up much in any other way. So far it's my favorite training tire, by a long shot.

The Tufo Comtura Prima sounds interesting because they make SES tires which are known to feel very supple. Meanwhile it's only a hair behind S TR on CRR, scores better on puncture protection, has more grip, and does all this while weighing less than TT tires. Compared to Vittoria/Michelin, there's also the added bonus of being made in EU.
Let us know in this topic (and Tufo topic) how will the Tufo work for you. Am currently using 5000S TR (and still have some spares), but am also planning to try Tufo. Am currently using Tufo Thundero HD on my gravel bike (instead od Pirelli Cinturato H) and they are superb. Most impresed by them. Comfort, grip, speed,... all better then Cinturato.

UrgentDelay

by UrgentDelay

I have created a separate topic for the most discussed subject over here, i.e. rim width vs tire WAM & HAM.

This graphic will be updated in the thread linked below:

I myself need help with tire heightplease, would appreciate any input!
viewtopic.php?f=132&t=174930

gruppetto

by gruppetto

UrgentDelay wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:18 pm
I have created a separate topic for the most discussed subject over here, i.e. rim width vs tire WAM & HAM.

This graphic will be updated in the thread linked below:

I myself need help with tire heightplease, would appreciate any input!
viewtopic.php?f=132&t=174930
30 on a 24.9 rim: WAM 32.2mm, HAM 27.3.

UrgentDelay

by UrgentDelay

gruppetto wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:47 am
30 on a 24.9 rim: WAM 32.2mm, HAM 27.3.
Thanks, from extrapolation that would put 32cc@25rim at 29.3 HAM. Would be great if someone could confirm that though.

Mocs123

by Mocs123

I just installed two new GP5000 TT TR's - 700x28 One tire was 245g, the other was 248g. Actual width measurements were 30.75mm on 24mm rim's at 75psi. I put 30ml of Orange Seal Endurance in them.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

joesch

by joesch

Long time GP4k user who switched to Turbo Cottons and Vittoria Corsas + Latex Tubes a few years ago.

I tried the GP5k S TR earlier this year and was very disappointed. The first impressions were very positive: the feel was okay and not as wooden as the GP4k. The rolling resistance was also a step up from my winter training tyres (Schwalbe X-One Speed).
However, I ended up with three (!) major cuts in just one month (about 1200km) (which were not sealed properly or at all by the sealant). The cuts were probably caused by debris on the road from the last few winter months - but I was still very disappointed at how fragile these tyres are, especially the centre thread.

Probably a good tyre for race days when the roads are good and free of debris, but definitely not for everyday training.

mikehhhhhhh

by mikehhhhhhh

joesch wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:48 am
Long time GP4k user who switched to Turbo Cottons and Vittoria Corsas + Latex Tubes a few years ago.

I tried the GP5k S TR earlier this year and was very disappointed. The first impressions were very positive: the feel was okay and not as wooden as the GP4k. The rolling resistance was also a step up from my winter training tyres (Schwalbe X-One Speed).
However, I ended up with three (!) major cuts in just one month (about 1200km) (which were not sealed properly or at all by the sealant). The cuts were probably caused by debris on the road from the last few winter months - but I was still very disappointed at how fragile these tyres are, especially the centre thread.

Probably a good tyre for race days when the roads are good and free of debris, but definitely not for everyday training.
I use them every day through summer and winter for the last 3 years, with the exception of a few months on Corsa Pros

They do pick up a lot of nicks, but all have sealed with stans race, with the exception of one that needed a small plug.

I think people's experiences of tyres and punctures are so random and circumstantial that just a bit of bad luck can turn you off a fantastic tyre forever more. That said the STRs do depend on having a good sealant with their relatively thin tread/casing.

kode54

by kode54

Same here. I leave the GP500s TR on regardless of season. I am mindful to keep the sealant topped off and keeps me from having flat even with the crappy roads we have and debris after a rain storm. No issues.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

joesch

by joesch

Fair feedback - I agree, it is only anecdotal evidence, but probably worth mentioning.
My conclusion was: better ride feel than GP4k, definitely also rolls fast. But to be handled with care and prone to cuts even on the centre thread (which were not properly sealed with 35ml of Stan's race sealant in each of the tires).

mikehhhhhhh

by mikehhhhhhh

joesch wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:46 am
Fair feedback - I agree, it is only anecdotal evidence, but probably worth mentioning.
My conclusion was: better ride feel than GP4k, definitely also rolls fast. But to be handled with care and prone to cuts even on the centre thread (which were not properly sealed with 35ml of Stan's race sealant in each of the tires).
Fwiw, stans recommends 59ml for road tyres.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

mikehhhhhhh wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:46 pm

Fwiw, stans recommends 59ml for road tyres.

60mL of Stan's or Stan's Race (they're the same thing except for the XL particles) would be a lot for a 25mm tire, still kind of a lot for a 28mm tire and about right for a 32mm tire.

35mL should be enough for a 25mm tire, but yeah why not just go with 40...

Also I straight up just don't recommend Stan's of course.

JWTS

by JWTS

The puncture thing is funny. I got a slice on a rear 5000S (32) 2 days after I installed it. Put a Dynaplug in it and after about 3,000 miles it was down to the cords and weeping sealant. I decided to put this poor tire to bed.

Replace it w/a new 5000S 32, and on the third ride...a slash that required a plug...grrr... (I was able to ride home w/o a plug but decided to plug it). Hopefully the rest of it's like will be similar!

Overall, I'd say my wife and I have mabye 30K miles on these tires. Besides those 2 plugs, I think she destroyed one tire (also almost new. hmm...). That's it. The truth is that's as good or better than the success I've had with a "winter" tire with tubes, something like a Bony Hard Case, Gatorskin or Schwalbe's heavy training tire. So, overall I'd say they've been really durable for me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com