Best tubulars?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
PrettyA

by PrettyA

I know the entire industry has pretty much moved past tubulars by now but I'm still running rim brakes and tubs like the good ol days. With that said, I've done about 15000km on my Continental Sprinters and would like to change them for something better. What would be a good tubular tire to upgrade to? I see great reviews on the Vittoria Corsa G2.0 and Speeds. But I also see many people recommending FMBs and silk tubs. Since the price of the speeds are similar to the FMBs, what should I get? Does anyone have experience with both tires?

Ps: What about other brands such as Veloflex and Specialized Turbo cotton?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

markyboy

by markyboy

I have ridden lots of tubs and i have just gone back to veloflex i like them much better than anything i have had.
The last ones i had fitted were vittoria corsa.
https://www.merlincycles.com/veloflex-r ... 65517.html
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Veloflex ( all 25 - 28mm ) are pretty good for the price.
Continental Competition Pro LTD ALX is also a perfect one. ( punture proof the best I guess )
FMB and A Dugast are also fine but a bit heavy.
Vittoria Corsa in 25mm also fine but not that puncture proof. Control version is better but also heavier.

For now I ride the Continental Pro Ltd on 2 pairs of wheels , and another pair ( Campa Bora ) on 25mm Michelin Power competition Pro edition.

DHG01

by DHG01

markyboy wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:14 pm
I have ridden lots of tubs and i have just gone back to veloflex i like them much better than anything i have had.
Nice prices on Merlin right now. Thanks.
I am mounting Corsas on a few wheels. Haven't tried Veloflex; are they really better? Punctures? Which model.
On Corsa if I do puncture, Effeto Mariposa sorts very well.

DHG01

by DHG01

I have ridden Corsa Speed. They are very nice and ride fast and very smoothly. I swapped the front without punctures at ~3000 km; the rear blew at ~200 km.

Corsa Elites are at bargain price at Bikeshop. They are very good tubulars, but with a butyl inner tube, they are a notch below regular Corsas with latex inner tube.

If budget is not a major concern, I would opt for tubulars with latex inner tubes. I think latex and grip are the only things I can notice immediately on a tubular.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

markyboy wrote:
They are only selling 28mm Veloflex tubs, odd....?

PrettyA

by PrettyA

If budget wasn't an issue, would veloflex be the best option? I don't race so I only ride for pleasure

markyboy

by markyboy

cyclespeed wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:05 am
markyboy wrote:
They are only selling 28mm Veloflex tubs, odd....?
I just bought some and still showing 25mm in stock on the roubaix
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

PinaRene

by PinaRene

PrettyA wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:44 pm
If budget wasn't an issue, would veloflex be the best option? I don't race so I only ride for pleasure
Veloflex Roubaix or if money can buy Continental Competition Pro Ltd ALX with slick center. Both bombproof and punture proof, but mounting wise is Veloflex easier.

dmetzinger

by dmetzinger

I'm partial to Veloflex Arenbergs - Merlin has them stock in 25mm.
Seven Axiom SG - Force AXS rim brake
Colnago C50 - Campy Chorus 12
Wilier Filante - SRAM Force/Red AXS
Wilier Zero SLR - Red AXS

dgasmd

by dgasmd

If budget, puncture resistance, and mileage was not an issue, then I'd go Veloflex. You have to pick your priorities first, and then pick the tire that best fit that. Of all tubulars I've riden over the years and decades, I'd say the best compromise of all best things is Vittoria. They are easy to fit, better mileage than Veloflex, but under Continental, less puncture resistance than conti but better than Vittorias. almost as comfortable as Veloflex, but certainly well above Contis.

Geoff

by Geoff

Lots of love for Veloflex, but I still prefer Dugast and FMB, myself (Dugast is my favourite, both for 'cross and for road).

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Dugast cotton strada or paris roubaix tyres are divine.

The dugasts are pretty robust. I have used them in poor weather and on roads with lots of gravel and flint. I have even used them on gravel roads and mud. The rear got a big cut and bulged but it was wearing out. No punctures. Im 90kg. Tough tyres.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,
PrettyA wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:44 pm
To my mind Veloflex is by far the best choice for sporty/leisurely use.
Even for racing there's hardly any better.
That said, I have zero experience with the new compound Veloflex ones. My stash of older Veloflex tubes is so large I could ride them for the next 20 years.
I only flat maybe like once every other 10k kms on them and you wouldn't believe the state of some roads I ride through.

BTW. The profile, or lack of it, on the new Veloflex tyres does not make any sense to me.

Cheers, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DHG01

by DHG01

fdegrove wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:44 am

I only flat maybe like once every other 10k kms on them and you wouldn't believe the state of some roads I ride through.

BTW. The profile, or lack of it, on the new Veloflex tyres does not make any sense to me.

Cheers, ;)
Wow! What model Veloflex is that?!