Best tubulars?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

@HHG01 :

The tubs I use are Veloflex Extreme on the frontwheel and Carbon on the rear wheel.
I do age all the tubulars for a year at leas in a dark, dry room.

Cheers, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

bcmf

by bcmf

Another vote for the Veloflex Roubaix/Arenbergs.*
As fdeGrove said I 'age' all my cotton tubs even if the maunfacturers/forum dwellers say there is no need.
Will be trying out some Challenge tyres in March and into early summer.

*I have had Veloflex tyres go on me after a few hundred kms and currently have an old Arenberg on my rear winter wheel that must have several thousand kms on it. When it wasn been used it was stored in a wheel bag in my attic with liquid latex on the sidewall.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DHG01

by DHG01

fdegrove wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:59 pm
Hi,

@HHG01 :

The tubs I use are Veloflex Extreme on the frontwheel and Carbon on the rear wheel.
I do age all the tubulars for a year at leas in a dark, dry room.

Cheers, ;)
Thanks!

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Sorry for the very late reply @DHG01.

What I'm using are Veloflex Extreme as a FW tyre and Carbon in the back.

Cheers, ;)

elfuinha

by elfuinha

Right now i'm using the PIRELLI Tubular P Zero Race TUB SL 28" | 700 x 26C black, they are cheaper now. i'm very, very please with them, riding and felling.

Veloflex are great, very well made, but they tend to die on 3000km, as the tread will be very thin and start to punture very easily.

also the rubber starts to crack after 1 year of use.

When the pirelli died will try the Vittoria Corsa Pro.

https://r2-bike.com/PIRELLI-Tubular-P-Z ... -26C-black

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,
Veloflex are great, very well made, but they tend to die on 3000km, as the tread will be very thin and start to punture very easily.

On average I get 8.000 km out of a Veloflex Extreme (front) and about 7.000 kmout of a Veloflex Carbon.

Never noticed any cracks in the rubber, not even on 15 years old ones.

Cheers, ;)

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Having previously run 100% Veloflex, I now have my reservations on them after the experience with a pair of ProTour in 25mm, which were downright dangerous into any kind of cornering whenever there was a sign of damp road ahead. Didn't have that kind of experience with ProTour in 28mm, so I have no idea if it was a "bad batch" or whatever.
Now, though, I have moved to Michelin Power (Cup) tubs in 25mm and Specialized Hell of the North in 28mm. Both likely have better rolling resistance, wet grip and +/- equal comfort to Veloflex.

Regarding the rubber cracking, I guess, it mostly depends on storage conditions. My Veloflexes start to display it when they're 5+ years old.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

elfuinha

by elfuinha

fdegrove wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 6:38 pm
Hi,

On average I get 8.000 km out of a Veloflex Extreme (front) and about 7.000 kmout of a Veloflex Carbon.

Never noticed any cracks in the rubber, not even on 15 years old ones.

Cheers, ;)
Unfortunaly my experience is quite diferent from yours. Milage i can get 4500km front and 3000km rear on the Veloflex. Roads here in Portugal are very crapy.

After 2 year also the Vittoria Corsa 2.0, that i've in the other bike, start to show crack in the rubber, and this model are the ones that last me more "km".

Since i'm rotating riding between 2 bikes, and can only ride on the weekend, I can't get more that 1,5 year on the rear tubular and maybe 2 years on the Front.

Bikes are store in the garage. Temperature of the room is normal.

The Pirelli SL duration is still in analises...4 months riding they have about 1500km to 1700km on them.
I think they are made in Vittoria Factory... as they are made in Thailand.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

@elfuinha :

Have you tried pre-aging your tires? A year or two in a dark dry environment makes a world of difference re puncture resistance.

Cheers , ;)

Aress

by Aress

Michelin power cup

vdarth

by vdarth

Maybe stupid question…

I’m buying new tubular tires and only two things that i want are tan wall and good puncture resistance.

Which tires would you recommend?

mrlobber

by mrlobber

25mm Michelin Power Cup tubular classic
28mm Specialized Hell Of the North tubular
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

r_mutt

by r_mutt

vdarth wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 11:07 am
Maybe stupid question…

I’m buying new tubular tires and only two things that i want are tan wall and good puncture resistance.

Which tires would you recommend?
Vittoria Corsa Control

Done!