Pirelli P Zero TLR tubeless

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
cleanneon98

by cleanneon98

Interesting. Yea hopefully I like them, but there's enough good reviews out there and feedback from riders that I am pretty optimistic about Pirelli. Curious on how ride feel will be on the RS compared to S TR
TREK Madone Gen 7 SLR - 7.43kg
TREK Fuel EX Gen 5 - overbuilt and overweight

jajr1999

by jajr1999

cleanneon98 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2024 4:26 pm
Bit the bullet and ordered a pair of 28mm TLR RS tires from Gambacicli at a nice discount. Not sure if I will continue to run my GP5000 STR till they wear more, or just swap them sooner. Hoping they stretch to 30mm after break-in and will give the wheels a bit more aero of a profile than the Continentals at 31mm, while also riding nicer and having a bit more protection. Happy to lose a few watts in RR
We must stop paying a little attention to BRR... Our roads are not like a metal roller...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cleanneon98

by cleanneon98

jajr1999 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 3:08 pm
cleanneon98 wrote:
Bit the bullet and ordered a pair of 28mm TLR RS tires from Gambacicli at a nice discount. Not sure if I will continue to run my GP5000 STR till they wear more, or just swap them sooner. Hoping they stretch to 30mm after break-in and will give the wheels a bit more aero of a profile than the Continentals at 31mm, while also riding nicer and having a bit more protection. Happy to lose a few watts in RR
We must stop paying a little attention to BRR... Our roads are not like a metal roller...
I know RR and speed will be dependent on a lot of factors but I do like to compare their puncture scores, grip scores, and tread/sidewall thickness measurements as that's pretty easy to translate to real world riding. I was between 5 or so tires and RR was a bottom consideration considering all were within 3-4w of each other but had other more significant differences that BRR let me analyze

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

jajr1999 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 3:08 pm
cleanneon98 wrote:

The absolute values are not the same between flat roads and drums, but the rankings will stay the same. The only flip-flopped rankings you’ll see are between two tires that were in a virtual dead heat anyway, at which point you’d put more emphasis on other criteria.

Maddie

by Maddie

Yesterday, we had an incident with a hookless wheel right before our weekly crit race.
WTB CZR wheel with 23mm inner width, hookless rim
Pirelli P Zero Race TLR 28mm tire

It's a tubeless setup, 4.8 bar tire pressure in a garage, probably around 15-18°C. Temperature outside was 28-30°C. Sealant unknown to me.

According to him, a 10cm portion of the front tire blew off one sided while riding at a very low speed. He realized the blowoff because of the loud bang. He stopped and was able to push the tire back into the bead bare hand. He lost a lot of sealant. He added air with his mini pump and the tire sealed immediately. When he arrived at the start line, we added some more until the tire was at 4 bar. He was able to participate in the race without incident.

The tire was already used a couple of weeks beforehand without any incidents. The only thing I can think of as a reason was the temperature increase. Maybe his pressure gauge at home is not too accurate. But still, this should not happen.

eins4eins

by eins4eins

Smart move to jump into the race immediately after that incident. Why risk crashing alone if you have the chance to take down other guys with you.

cleanneon98

by cleanneon98

So glad my wheels don't have this innovative feature

Maddie

by Maddie

eins4eins wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2024 2:34 pm
Smart move to jump into the race immediately after that incident. Why risk crashing alone if you have the chance to take down other guys with you.
It was a questionable decision for sure. Personally, I would not have participated. But I also wouldn't ride hookless wheels in the first place :mrgreen:

thirdsun

by thirdsun

Maddie wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2024 2:22 pm
Yesterday, we had an incident with a hookless wheel right before our weekly crit race.
WTB CZR wheel with 23mm inner width, hookless rim
Pirelli P Zero Race TLR 28mm tire

It's a tubeless setup, 4.8 bar tire pressure in a garage, probably around 15-18°C. Temperature outside was 28-30°C. Sealant unknown to me.

According to him, a 10cm portion of the front tire blew off one sided while riding at a very low speed. He realized the blowoff because of the loud bang. He stopped and was able to push the tire back into the bead bare hand. He lost a lot of sealant. He added air with his mini pump and the tire sealed immediately. When he arrived at the start line, we added some more until the tire was at 4 bar. He was able to participate in the race without incident.

The tire was already used a couple of weeks beforehand without any incidents. The only thing I can think of as a reason was the temperature increase. Maybe his pressure gauge at home is not too accurate. But still, this should not happen.
Was it an updated P Zero Race TLR or one from the recalled batch? Pirelli recalled some of them for a reason and while they wouldn't say it outright one might guess that they meant hookless when they explained that they saw issues with "some rims": https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-ww/bik ... res-recall
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

cleanneon98

by cleanneon98

Back of my box on the 28mm RS says it'll blow up to 31 on a 23mm rim. Glad I didn't get the 30
Attachments
IMG_7169.jpeg

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

cleanneon98 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:37 pm
Back of my box on the 28mm RS says it'll blow up to 31 on a 23mm rim. Glad I didn't get the 30
This is a misprint. That’s tire size table for the 30mm, which is designed around a 21mm internal width.

The 28 is meant to be 28mm on a 19mm rim and 29mm on a 21mm rim. While not listed, Pirelli would probably claim 30mm on a 23mm rim.

My 30mm RS measured 31.5mm upon installation into a 23mm rim.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:08 am
cleanneon98 wrote:
How do you like them so far?

Looking forward to the BRR results next month.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

BigBoyND wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2024 7:26 am

How do you like them so far?

Looking forward to the BRR results next month.

I took them off and decided to test the ENVE SES Racedays first.

cleanneon98

by cleanneon98

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:08 am
cleanneon98 wrote:
This is a misprint. That’s tire size table for the 30mm, which is designed around a 21mm internal width.

The 28 is meant to be 28mm on a 19mm rim and 29mm on a 21mm rim. While not listed, Pirelli would probably claim 30mm on a 23mm rim.

Interesting, but good for me as I wanted that 30 measured. Otherwise it seems nice, I like the packaging and the tread width seems the same as a 28mm 5k S TR that I ordered for a friend.

Weight on my 28mm was 302g

cleanneon98

by cleanneon98

Bit odd but the inside finish on my 28mm RS is different, date codes are 1024 and 1124. Tires look identical but find it weird that one is matte and rubbery and the other is glossy and slick like was pointed out in some reviews
IMG_7190.jpeg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com