Winspace Hyper

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
eeney

by eeney

Ferdi77 wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:38 pm
HeluvaSkier wrote:
Ferdi77 wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:38 am
....But maybe I should just go for the R67 and try out ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've got the R45 and no complaints, if any concerns about crosswinds then I wouldn't go any deeper. Even with the R45 on fast descents or windy days I can feel the front wheel catching the wind (I'm only 63kg).

I wanted light wheels for my climbing bike, but with some aero benefit. With the R45s my bike has retained it's responsive lightweight bike feeling, but rolls better thanks to the deeper wheels.

HeluvaSkier

by HeluvaSkier

Ferdi77 wrote:
Most of the time I ride rolling hills. Some days in the year I spend time riding mountains, so I’ll want a wheelset that is good for both.

But maybe I should just go for the R67 and try out ;)
Don't think I'd go deeper than the R45. Most of my miles are spent in flat lands... I mean REALLY flat (I can ride a 50+ mile out and back route with less than 200 feet of elevation gain). One of my usual 40-mile loops is less than 150' of elevation. So, the deeper wheels make sense here up until about a 15-20 mph wind, then I grab the Hyper 50s or even as low profile as a 30-40mm depth. The 67's do handle better than their size would suggest, but aren't an 'all-rounder' like an R45 would be.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

HeluvaSkier wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:58 am
Ferdi77 wrote:
Most of the time I ride rolling hills. Some days in the year I spend time riding mountains, so I’ll want a wheelset that is good for both.

But maybe I should just go for the R67 and try out ;)
Don't think I'd go deeper than the R45. Most of my miles are spent in flat lands... I mean REALLY flat (I can ride a 50+ mile out and back route with less than 200 feet of elevation gain). One of my usual 40-mile loops is less than 150' of elevation. So, the deeper wheels make sense here up until about a 15-20 mph wind, then I grab the Hyper 50s or even as low profile as a 30-40mm depth. The 67's do handle better than their size would suggest, but aren't an 'all-rounder' like an R45 would be.
I only have 38-45mm deep rims (wheels) these days (Zipp FC303, Schmolke TLO45 and Ax Premium 38T). Previously had a 55mm deep Easton wheelset (sadly shelved due to pothole crack).
But if i buy something new, i were pretty interested in R67 (60mm front / 68mm rear).
However, i got a bit hesitant after reading about that combo here. About two years ago i asked Hambini about ideal rim depth going from 45mm deep.
In his opinion it would be 65mm deep rims. So i guess R67 would be a theoretical combatant. I consider my Ax 38mm tubular more of a climbing wheelset (1010g).
Might add that around here it's more or less flat.....
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

GONE4ARIDE

by GONE4ARIDE

I am curious, for those who have purchased new Hyper 23 wheelsets this year, what has your experience been with the build quality of your wheels?

I just purchased a set of Hyper 23 R33's and rode them for the first time yesterday. When I got home and put my bike in the workstand, I noticed that the rear wheel had a significant wobble in it. This was after 1 hour of easy pedaling with a short high tempo effort on very good pavement. I weigh a whopping 145 lb.

I have purchased (and built) many wheelsets over the last 35 years. I don't think that I have ever had a wheel come out of true this bad after the first ride. I suspect this one was not properly tension-relieved when it was built, although this is my first experience with carbon spokes so I am not sure if the process is the same.

GONE4ARIDE

by GONE4ARIDE

I am curious, for those who have purchased new Hyper 23 wheelsets this year, what has your experience been with the build quality of your wheels?

I just purchased a set of Hyper 23 R33's and rode them for the first time yesterday. When I got home and put my bike in the workstand, I noticed that the rear wheel had a significant wobble in it. This was after 1 hour of easy pedaling with a short high tempo effort on very good pavement. I weigh a whopping 145 lb.

I have purchased (and built) many wheelsets over the last 35 years. I don't think that I have ever had a wheel come out of true like this after the first ride. I suspect this one was not properly tension-relieved when it was built, although this is my first experience with carbon spokes so I am not sure if the process is the same.

alexp247365

by alexp247365

I bought the Hyper R45's back at the beginning of this year. 4000 miles later they roll true as the first day I've bought them (they have the ceramic bearings.)
In those 4000 miles, my weight has fluctuated between 165-190 pounds. Bike weight is 15 pounds.

I have another set of R33's coming tomorrow as part of the summer sale purchase. Currently here looking through this thread to see what tires folks have been using. I want to try something other than the GP5000 TLRs (25c.)

Edit: Picked up the Goodyear F1 R's in 25c. Will follow up once they arrive and have a few rides to compare.

rlanger

by rlanger

GONE4ARIDE wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:04 am

I have purchased (and built) many wheelsets over the last 35 years. I don't think that I have ever had a wheel come out of true like this after the first ride. I suspect this one was not properly tension-relieved when it was built, although this is my first experience with carbon spokes so I am not sure if the process is the same.
Yeah, I had an issue with my rear wheel coming out of true after only a couple of rides. Had to purchase a spoke key and wrench to fix it, but it wasn't difficult (even without a truing stand), and it's been rock solid for a few hundred kilometers since.

On my first set of Hypers, I rode thousands of kms without any issue. Never had to true them once.

I would highly doubt that this is a widespread issue. Shit happens during the manufacturing process. Especially when a large number of units are being produced.

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

I'm looking at the Hyper SE D67. To me, it looks like the only difference (from the regular Hyper) is ceramic bearings and the weave design. Is that right? The SE seem like a much better value. Related, I'm also looking at the Elite Drive 65. They're about the same price, how would you pick between the two?
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

rlanger

by rlanger

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:46 pm
I'm looking at the Hyper SE D67. To me, it looks like the only difference (from the regular Hyper) is ceramic bearings and the weave design. Is that right? The SE seem like a much better value. Related, I'm also looking at the Elite Drive 65. They're about the same price, how would you pick between the two?
Pretty sure that the brake track is different too. The SE has a textured track. I couldn't tell you if there's any performance difference between the two though.

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

rlanger wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:35 am
LanceLegstrong wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:46 pm
Pretty sure that the brake track is different too. The SE has a textured track. I couldn't tell you if there's any performance difference between the two though.
I'm looking at disc so no brake track.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

HeluvaSkier

by HeluvaSkier

rlanger wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:35 am
Although not relevant to disc wheelset buyers, I have both the regular Hyper and SE and can confirm the SE has better modulation than the smooth brake track version. Power is similar, but modulation is far superior. I hope they adopt that on all of their rim brake wheels.

scapewalker

by scapewalker

A reddit user had his Winscape Hyper D67s explode.
Doesn't make me feel all that confident riding mine :shock:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Velo/comments/ ... _exploded/

gurk700

by gurk700

scapewalker wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:25 pm

I should've made a post on Reddit for the Enve and HED wheels that I exploded too.
I'm sure it would've been a case of "user error" or "oh that's super rare"

LOL... :roll:

Attermann

by Attermann

scapewalker wrote:

He's running a 24 mm tyre tubeless, that would need a lot of pressure, and it could be air escaping into the rim for all we know, or are these wheels without tape?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

scapewalker

by scapewalker

gurk700 wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:53 am
scapewalker wrote:

I should've made a post on Reddit for the Enve and HED wheels that I exploded too.
I'm sure it would've been a case of "user error" or "oh that's super rare"

LOL... :roll:
Yea the amount of winspace wheels out there probably already rivals the likes of Enve/HED. It's bound to happen