Winspace Hyper

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
RDY

by RDY

icantaffordcycling wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 3:54 am

So apparently these guys are the oem for hunt as well.
I think Farsports (or part of the ownership group) are the OEM for all the Winspace stuff. They're all mixed up together. I'd be surprised if most of the shareholders for Winspace aren't the same, too ... they certainly appeared around the same time and share products.

Re: the Hambini review, if you're looking for aero performance on a 23mm or one of the thinner 25mm tyres, then this is a great wheelset in terms of performance. However if you're going to use a 28mm or larger gravel tyre, these are probably a poor value option. You can get lighter, stiffer rims with CarbonTi or 240EXP for quite a bit less than this asking price, and DT180EXP for marginally less. These hubs are almost guaranteed to hold up better in the long term, as are sapim / pillar spokes, and the whole wheel will still work out lighter.

The Lun wheels are nothing special at all IMO, though they do look very pretty, and are significantly overpriced. The Prime wheels appear to be rebadged Farsports rims for a significant mark up - though all out of stock. I was hoping the gravel wheel would be a revamp of the FSE G40/30X, but as it's more in the LUN price category I'm assuming it's just a bog standard layup rather than partially wound (Hyper is only partially wound too) ... they don't have any details up on the site yet.

What I'd really like to see is the Hyper rims available for purchase separately, and or factory built with standard cx-ray / pillar spokes and dt/carbonti/novatec/powerway options. Were the rims available now, I'd happily buy 2 pairs right away ... for my use case, value just isn't there for any of the complete wheels atm.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know who designed or makes the hubs? The ones on Hypers look like Ridea designs, but can't imagine they'd put something that costly on an ownbranded product. Maybe Yuan An or their OEM? They seem to do the only decent quality China designed and made hubs. The ones on the Luns clearly seem to be the previously FSE branded ones.
Last edited by RDY on Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rlanger

by rlanger

mag wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:13 am
I think he uses 23 mm tires in his tests and performance evaluation. Given that the rim is 26 mm wide (with 19 mm inner width) most 25 mm tires would expand to somewhere between 26 - 27 mm and will be therefore wider than the rim which will result in worse results. I wish there would be more rims in the 27 - 27.5 mm width range.
Yeah, my 25s, which were new when I put them on the wheels, now measure at 27mm on the front and 27.2 on the rear.

Although aero is somewhat important to me, I don't race, so I am more concerned with other performance aspects. Having said that, they still feel incredibly fast.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lwk

by lwk

RDY wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:17 pm

I think Farsports (or part of the ownership group) are the OEM for all the Winspace stuff. They're all mixed up together. I'd be surprised if most of the shareholders for Winspace aren't the same, too ... they certainly appeared around the same time and share products.

Re: the Hambini review, if you're looking for aero performance on a 23mm or one of the thinner 25mm tyres, then this is a great wheelset in terms of performance. However if you're going to use a 28mm or larger gravel tyre, these are probably a poor value option. You can get lighter, stiffer rims with CarbonTi or 240EXP for quite a bit less than this asking price, and DT180EXP for marginally less. These hubs are almost guaranteed to hold up better in the long term, as are sapim / pillar spokes, and the whole wheel will still work out lighter.

The Lun wheels are nothing special at all IMO, though they do look very pretty, and are significantly overpriced. The Prime wheels appear to be rebadged Farsports rims for a significant mark up - though all out of stock. I was hoping the gravel wheel would be a revamp of the FSE G40/30X, but as it's more in the LUN price category I'm assuming it's just a bog standard layup rather than partially wound (Hyper is only partially wound too) ... they don't have any details up on the site yet.

What I'd really like to see is the Hyper rims available for purchase separately, and or factory built with standard cx-ray / pillar spokes and dt/carbonti/novatec/powerway options. Were the rims available now, I'd happily buy 2 pairs right away ... for my use case, value just isn't there for any of the complete wheels atm.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know who designed or makes the hubs? The ones on Hypers look like Ridea designs, but can't imagine they'd put something that costly on an ownbranded product. Maybe Yuan An or their OEM? They seem to do the only decent quality China designed and made hubs. The ones on the Luns clearly seem to be the previously FSE branded ones.
These look exactly the same.....

http://www.speedercycling.com/Super-Light-Pattern_c97

RDY

by RDY

lwk wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:56 pm
RDY wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:17 pm

These look exactly the same.....

http://www.speedercycling.com/Super-Light-Pattern_c97
Good find. They are identical. They also seem to have other filament wound rims without the 6k / 12k layer on top. They also say they're an OEM. I wonder if they really are, rather than being yet another link in the chain.

mag

by mag

They look similar to these sold at Aliexpress: https://fitlite-bike.aliexpress.com/sto ... 31735.html
Just these should be even lighter (T800 carbon) and based on the seller information their inner width should be 18 mm (instead of 19 in the case of Winspace) and they also sell both glossy and matte finish options. No idea where are these or the Winspace branded ones made.

RDY

by RDY

mag wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:01 pm
They look similar to these sold at Aliexpress: https://fitlite-bike.aliexpress.com/sto ... 31735.html
Just these should be even lighter (T800 carbon) and based on the seller information their inner width should be 18 mm (instead of 19 in the case of Winspace) and they also sell both glossy and matte finish options. No idea where are these or the Winspace branded ones made.
The Fitlite ones definitely aren't the same as the Speeder/WSHyper rims. They're butterfly weave but a different pattern, and are high gloss. They also don't claim to be filament wound (I'm sure they're not at these prices). Brake track is totally different too. Hub and spokes are same though.

I suspect the OEM is likely the same for these rims and the Winspace Lun.... both have that identical herringbone brake track on the rim brake versions, even if the top layer weave and finish are different.

mag

by mag

Yes I think you're right. I'd really like to know who actually makes all these rims as they seem to be very interesting in many ways except for a few details and maybe there would be a chance to have the manufacturer modify their production in the future (for the updated models).

RDY

by RDY

Having looked into it a bit more, I think all the rims mentioned above are made by one producer.... they just offer a shitload of different layups, filament winding, brake tracks, superficial weaves and finishes, so sellers pick and mix what they want.

rlanger

by rlanger

Yeah, all of those wheels look similar. Might be worth a shot if you plan to build your own @RDY. But if you're going to opt for a complete build, I can't recommend Winspace more highly.

I've had a couple of issues, one with shipping because of Covid, and the other with my rear hub (started making a clicking noise), and in both cases, the support and service has been head and shoulders above what I've received from any other brand in the industry.

All manufacturers have a some small percentage of issues, so you shouldn't be too surprised if you're unlucky enough to have a problem. But bad service can quickly take the shine off of new purchase. So, even with the problems I've experienced, I'm still absolutely loving my Hypers.

Hopefully, they can continue that level of service as they grow. It's a big part of what will differentiate them.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I and my friends have several x-weave xlight bla bla wheelsets. If someone could take a picture or two of a HyperX rim we could compare the rim profile.

I have 30/45/75mm rims here.

A pic without the tire, including the label in the rim bed, might be interesting to compare.

I'm very pleased with the rims. I would have been more inclined to go carbon spoke if the hub choices were better. I don't like to choose between two expensive/proprietary heavy hubs. 16/21h steel it is.

I just finished my experimental 14/18h wheelset. It's 30mm internal nipple clinchers @ 1100gr. For seated climbing.
Attachments
wx_camera_1598610782665.jpg
wx_camera_1598610720342.jpg
mmexport1598661768602.jpg

rlanger

by rlanger

Another positive review, this time from Peak Torque on youtube:

https://youtu.be/ENybY0ujfLE

Pic from my Sunday ride. About 90k and 1500m of climbing. Top-notch performance. Such a pleasure to ride:
Winspace Hyper.jpg
Actually had a chance to ride the new S-Works SL7 as my local bike shop was having a test-ride day. Great bike, but definitely not a fan of the disc brakes. Just my personal preference. And the deep section Rovals had nothing on the Hypers.

Was actually happy to get back on my bike.

one60

by one60

interesting video...would have liked to see lateral stiffness results for both sides of the wheels since they are radial and 2x front and rear...nonetheless quite informative

happydogww

by happydogww

The hambini vid was lacking in details and after getting these wheels i have to say hes lost some credibility at least to me, and I usually like his videos.

Theres nothing special about the shape of the rims, and theres no way these are the most aerodynamic since they have quite a big front hub and the spokes are relatively big too. There may be fewer spokes vs some wheels, but I don't think they can make up for the larger spoke size.

The spokes measure 1.4mm by 3.2mm, and the round diameter is 2.2mm.
cx-rays are 0.9mm x 2.2 with 2mm dia.
dt aerolites are 0.9mm x 2.3mm with 2mm dia.
The new dt aerolite II spokes i guess are the best aero right now at about 0.7mm x 3.1mm.

I do think PeakTorques video is well done as all his videos are, so these wheels should be among the stiffest.

rlanger

by rlanger

gusbear wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:08 pm
The hambini vid was lacking in details and after getting these wheels i have to say hes lost some credibility at least to me, and I usually like his videos.

Theres nothing special about the shape of the rims, and theres no way these are the most aerodynamic since they have quite a big front hub and the spokes are relatively big too. There may be fewer spokes vs some wheels, but I don't think they can make up for the larger spoke size.

The spokes measure 1.4mm by 3.2mm, and the round diameter is 2.2mm.
cx-rays are 0.9mm x 2.2 with 2mm dia.
dt aerolites are 0.9mm x 2.3mm with 2mm dia.
The new dt aerolite II spokes i guess are the best aero right now at about 0.7mm x 3.1mm.

I do think PeakTorques video is well done as all his videos are, so these wheels should be among the stiffest.
Spoke nipples are external too, which probably has a small impact on aerodynamics compared with internal nipples.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bsharp77

by bsharp77

Interesting points.
I was sceptical about Hambini's video - seemed just a bit too good to be true, especially when putting them above Enves etc.
But overall I was impressed enough to place an order.

Lightweight 50mm clinchers with good braking, carbon spokes for increased stiffness which I was really looking for and actually the external nipples was a selling point to me as it means they are a much more serviceable wheel. The only other negative thing that was pointed out is the bearings, which i'd be happy enough to replace anyway.

The fact that Winspace are looking into service options in Europe gives me confidence too, although comminication from their Chinese base has been nothing short of excellent so far.

I needed replacement wheels anyway and have taken a chance on them, i'm not expecting to be much, if any faster than I was on my Aelous D3 wheels, but I do expect a lovely light, stiff set of wheels which should perform well above my finess level :lol:

I'll report back once I actually get the wheels and give them a few test rides to see how they perform.