Winspace Hyper

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
rlanger

by rlanger

bsharp77 wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:08 am
But overall I was impressed enough to place an order.

I'll report back once I actually get the wheels and give them a few test rides to see how they perform.
Yeah, will be interesting to hear some more perspectives. I have limited experience with other high-end wheelsets, so it's difficult for me to provide comparitive feedback.

Like I said though, the Rovals that were on the SL7 I rode on Sunday definitely did not feel stiffer. Overall though, the SL7 was noticeably faster than my bike. But that's to be expected with the deeper section wheels and the new frameset.

Given the way these wheels have performed so far though, over 2000+ Kms, the weight, the price point, and Winspace"s customer service, my next set of wheels will almost definitely be Hypers.

Dan112

by Dan112

Hi

I don't often post on here but I'm tempted to purchase some of these wheels in 50mm (I already have a climbing wheels)

I've watched the peak torque and hambini videos, peak torque stated u can feel a bit of wind up when the bike is stationary with the brake on.

I just wondered if the same thing is apparent on the rim brake model as in his video its on a disc tcr where as my bike is rim brake.

Basically it's these winspace hyper wheels at £760 and a stated 1349g

Or Farsports Kaze with DT Swiss 240EXP hubs but they come in at £895 at a stated weight of 1430g.

So on paper the winspace look more appealing only thing I'm worried about is this wind up when braking I believe it's down to there being fewer spokes. However have no idea how this translates to when your riding.

Any help would be appreciated from anyone who has a set of these wheels in rim brake.

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rlanger

by rlanger

Dan112 wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:07 pm
I've watched the peak torque and hambini videos, peak torque stated u can feel a bit of wind up when the bike is stationary with the brake on.

I just wondered if the same thing is apparent on the rim brake model as in his video its on a disc tcr where as my bike is rim brake.
What is wind up? I don't notice anything strange on my rim brake Hypers when braking. In fact, the braking performance is one of the best things about these wheels.

Dan112

by Dan112

rlanger wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:49 pm
Dan112 wrote:

What is wind up? I don't notice anything strange on my rim brake Hypers when braking. In fact, the braking performance is one of the best things about these wheels.
Basically flex in the wheel through the spokes. He basically says as the wheel doesn't have many spokes u can when holding the front brake and pushing the wheel feel movement. I know this is normal but didn't know if it was more noticeable on a wheel with carbon spokes as in my understanding they are only strong in 1 direction.

If u can't feel anything I'm guessing it's fine, even peak torque said he couldn't feel it while riding but I wondered how the rim brake wheel set held up.

Could you tell me if the stickers are removable or under the clear coat?

rlanger

by rlanger

Dan112 wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:59 pm
rlanger wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:49 pm
Dan112 wrote:

Basically flex in the wheel through the spokes. He basically says as the wheel doesn't have many spokes u can when holding the front brake and pushing the wheel feel movement. I know this is normal but didn't know if it was more noticeable on a wheel with carbon spokes as in my understanding they are only strong in 1 direction.

If u can't feel anything I'm guessing it's fine, even peak torque said he couldn't feel it while riding but I wondered how the rim brake wheel set held up.

Could you tell me if the stickers are removable or under the clear coat?
Yeah, there's absolutely zero flex that I notice, but then again, I'm 70kg and 53 years old so I'm not exactly stressing them to the max.

As for the stickers, I got my wheels back in May, and at that time they came with the stickers over the clearcoat, and they're removable.

But I think some customers complained about this and in the newer batches, Winspace have put the stickers under the clearcoat.

The logo is actually quite nice imo, and very subtle, so I would prefer if mine were under the clearcoat. The stickers are already starting to degrade too, which doesn't look so nice. I may have to eventually remove them.

ChinaCycling

by ChinaCycling

Dan112 wrote:
Hi

I don't often post on here but I'm tempted to purchase some of these wheels in 50mm (I already have a climbing wheels)

Or Farsports Kaze with DT Swiss 240EXP hubs but they come in at £895 at a stated weight of 1430g.

So on paper the winspace look more appealing only thing I'm worried about is this wind up when braking I believe it's down to there being fewer spokes. However have no idea how this translates to when your riding.

Any help would be appreciated from anyone who has a set of these wheels in rim brake.

Thanks
This isn't an issue for rim brake wheels.

Disc brake wheels the braking is done on the hub, this then has to transfer to the tires via the spokes.
However, rim brakes the brake is acting on the rim directly; so the importance of spokes is minimal. (Thus rim brake front wheels have radial lacing, with no crosses)

Dan112

by Dan112

ChinaCycling wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:12 am
Dan112 wrote:
Hi

Thanks

Disc brake wheels the braking is done on the hub, this then has to transfer to the tires via the spokes.
However, rim brakes the brake is acting on the rim directly; so the importance of spokes is minimal. (Thus rim brake front wheels have radial lacing, with no crosses)
That makes a load of sense tbf.

I watched your review on YouTube, have u tried their lun wheels with the grooved brake tracks? I'd love to know how they compare.

Thing I like about the lun wheels is sapim spokes so easier when it comes to replacement parts

rlanger

by rlanger

Dan112 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:34 pm
ChinaCycling wrote:
Dan112 wrote:
Hi

Thanks

I watched your review on YouTube, have u tried their lun wheels with the grooved brake tracks? I'd love to know how they compare.

Thing I like about the lun wheels is sapim spokes so easier when it comes to replacement parts
The Hyper wheels come with some extra spokes included.

Dan112

by Dan112

:thumbup:
rlanger wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:57 pm
Dan112 wrote:
ChinaCycling wrote:
Dan112 wrote:
Hi

Thanks

The Hyper wheels come with some extra spokes included.

ChinaCycling

by ChinaCycling

Yeah, I don't wanna hijack this thread or anything, but I've used the Lún 60mm disc brake on my bike for a few months for testing - good value for money wheelset. Obviously can't comment on rim brake performance though. In my opinon textured braking surfaces main advantage is how quickly the brakes start to bite in the wet. In the dry you can get just as good results with non texture braking surfaces depending on your braking surface material, resin and pad compound. Textured braking surfaces are also asking for small stones / dust to get stuck in there, then take huge chunks out of your braking surface, so I think textured braking surfaces need extra care and cleaning.

The rim brake HYPER I have used, I wanted it to be textured at first (at the time I had the thought that textured = better braking) but after trying the untextured HYPER braking surface, I've changed my thinking. I no longer thing textured automatically means better.
Dan112 wrote:
ChinaCycling wrote:
Dan112 wrote:
Hi

Thanks

Dan112

by Dan112

ChinaCycling wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:35 am
Yeah, I don't wanna hijack this thread or anything, but I've used the Lún 60mm disc brake on my bike for a few months for testing - good value for money wheelset. Obviously can't comment on rim brake performance though. In my opinon textured braking surfaces main advantage is how quickly the brakes start to bite in the wet. In the dry you can get just as good results with non texture braking surfaces depending on your braking surface material, resin and pad compound. Textured braking surfaces are also asking for small stones / dust to get stuck in there, then take huge chunks out of your braking surface, so I think textured braking surfaces need extra care and cleaning.

The rim brake HYPER I have used, I wanted it to be textured at first (at the time I had the thought that textured = better braking) but after trying the untextured HYPER braking surface, I've changed my thinking. I no longer thing textured automatically means better.
Dan112 wrote:
ChinaCycling wrote:
Dan112 wrote:
Hi

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I must admit as nice as the hypers are the Luns are also very tempting with your discount code 😉 you can pick up a set for £558 brand new, with sapim spokes and the same cermanic bearings found in the hypers!

Obviously they are heavier by around 150g and no carbon spokes but seems a more simple wheelset to maintain.

Only thing that puts me off the hyper is the hub, spokes and rim all are designed to work as one which is better don't get me wrong but if parts are needed it's waiting a month for it to come from China to the UK.

But then the hypers seem excellent value...

Decision time now 😂

bsharp77

by bsharp77

Dan112 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:19 am

Thanks for the info. I must admit as nice as the hypers are the Luns are also very tempting with your discount code 😉 you can pick up a set for £558 brand new, with sapim spokes and the same cermanic bearings found in the hypers!

Obviously they are heavier by around 150g and no carbon spokes but seems a more simple wheelset to maintain.

Only thing that puts me off the hyper is the hub, spokes and rim all are designed to work as one which is better don't get me wrong but if parts are needed it's waiting a month for it to come from China to the UK.

Decision time now 😂

If thats all that is putting you off then its not really an issue.
Extra spokes come with the wheels and fit with standard nipples so are easy to tension or replace and the bearings are standard and easily available.
The only thing proprietary is the hub - and its a rare occasion to need to replace these and even if you do, they will be available.

All of that, plus the promise of Winspace seeting up European services points made it a very easy decision for me to go with the Hypers.

Dan112

by Dan112

bsharp77 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:13 am
Dan112 wrote:

Decision time now 😂

Extra spokes come with the wheels and fit with standard nipples so are easy to tension or replace and the bearings are standard and easily available.
The only thing proprietary is the hub - and its a rare occasion to need to replace these and even if you do, they will be available.

All of that, plus the promise of Winspace seeting up European services points made it a very easy decision for me to go with the Hypers.
I ended up getting the Lun wheelset, think for me personally it just made more sense as I already have a lightweight climbing wheelset some campagnolo shamals.

The luns need no rim tape and the nipples can be adjusted externally, after speaking to Ava from winspace she advised on the hyper the spokes have to be adjusted from within the rim and the tape needs to be removed, the nipple that pops though the rim on the hyper is fixed. No big deal but I had a pair of giant slr1 rims like that and it annoyed me.

Once they arrive I'll put up some feedback they come in at 1487g in 45mm so heavier but still a light wheel on par with farsports Kaze series and dt swiss 350 hubs. I upgraded to sapim cx spokes and ceramic bearings (same ones used in the hypers)

Now ill have to wait until November 😂

Dan112

by Dan112

Dan112 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:55 am
bsharp77 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:13 am
Dan112 wrote:

Decision time now 😂

I ended up getting the Lun wheelset, think for me personally it just made more sense as I already have a lightweight climbing wheelset some campagnolo shamals.

The luns need no rim tape and the nipples can be adjusted externally, after speaking to Ava from winspace she advised on the hyper the spokes have to be adjusted from within the rim and the tape needs to be removed, the nipple that pops though the rim on the hyper is fixed. No big deal but I had a pair of giant slr1 rims like that and it annoyed me.

Once they arrive I'll put up some feedback they come in at 1487g in 45mm so heavier but still a light wheel on par with farsports Kaze series and dt swiss 350 hubs. I upgraded to sapim cx spokes and ceramic bearings (same ones used in the hypers)

Now ill have to wait until November 😂
I upgraded to the hypers. Thought sod it 😂 hopefully get them before November. Cheers for all the help. It twisted my arm lol

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

happydogww

by happydogww

one60 wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:20 am
would appreciate more input/feedback on the (rim) braking performance of these wheels. Also interested whether changing to a swiss stop or Campagnolo red pad offered any improvement in braking.
I got your email and will reply some of your qns here, let me know if theres anything else in particular you would like to know.

I have both rim and disc versions, unfortunately I do not believe we can feel actual differences in ride quality between different wheels if blinded so I would rather rely on controlled testing. I have only experiened 1 wheel which was not laterally stiff enough but that was a 1100g climbing wheel which would rub on the rim brakes under power.

someone talked about windup which is torsional stiffness, i have tested simply my disc hypers vs a zipp 404 fc. the 404s were about twice as torsionally stiff when rotating the wheel with the brakes are applied and i attribute this to it being the spokes are crossed on boths sides vs it being radial on the disc side for the hypers. I don't have an easy way to test torsional stiffness from the driveside so I can't say which is stiffer under power. I do believe the hypers are more than stiff enough for braking so it shouldnt matter.

as for radial stiffness, I think this is what people think affects ride quality the most but again, I believe all decent wheels are at a level of stiffness where it is imperceptible to a blinded human. The tyre flexes way more anyway. If im not wrong the UD carbon should have about the same modulus of steel so the difference would have to come from the greater cross sectional area. While the hypers do have larger spokes, if I compare them to the zipp404s, they also have fewer spokes. The other aspect of radial stiffness would be the rim depth so all in all i don't see the hypers as being significantly stiffer than a regular deep wheel with a normal number of steel spokes, and even if it was I highly doubt a human could tell if blinded.

I have no problems braking on the rims, even in the wet. When wet you just need to know they just take a little longer to bite. I use lifeline blue pads they are fine.

I have 1 issue with the wheels (besides the fact that they are def not the most aero as claimed by hambini), they creak under power. both my wheels creak. I suspect it comes from the spokes rubbing each other, when i grab the crossed spokes i can get them to make a similar creak. I have not confirmed this yet, but when it rained on my last ride they stopped creaking (or i couldnt hear them thru the rain haha). ill lube them before my next ride and see if it stops.

all in all if the creak is easily remedied i think they are great wheels for the money if you are not crazy about every last aero watt. They saved 400g off the zipp404s disc and 300g off my yeoleo 60mm rimbrake wheels (bitex hubs + cx-rays).