Winspace Hyper

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

KalleWirsch wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 10:32 am
Lelandjt wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 6:31 pm
If you put them in the sun with the hole at the lowest point the water will come out.
Not clear what you mean by "lowest point". The hole is in the sidewall of the rim. If I lay the rim flat down like a pizza on a plate, all points on the rim at the height of the hole are at the same point, because it´s a circle.
Or am I wrong? :?
The drain holes are in the very bottom of the cavity part of the sidewall.
Lean the bike against a wall in the sun so it's tipped a fair bit to the side. Rotate the wheels so a drain hole is at the bottom on the inward side. Now the water will sit against the hole while the air inside heats up and pushes it out. After washing a bike I prop it straight upright for a few minutes in the shade to drain water out the hole in the center of the BB shell, then do the above.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ferdi77

by Ferdi77

Iam thinking purchasing the hyper R67 as do it all wheels and was thinking about taking them to the mountains as well. Anyone with experiences doing that? Or would it be better to go with the R45?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Ferdi77 wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 1:51 pm
Iam thinking purchasing the hyper R67 as do it all wheels and was thinking about taking them to the mountains as well. Anyone with experiences doing that? Or would it be better to go with the R45?

I would guess the R45 wheelset is easier to handle. They're still not shallow wheels F: 46mm / R: 54mm.
Both my wheels are 45mm except for my tubular which is 38mm.
Personally i would say R45 if it's a do it all wheelset. The R67 i would pick for just flat and trying to go as fast as possible.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

Ferdi77 wrote:Iam thinking purchasing the hyper R67 as do it all wheels and was thinking about taking them to the mountains as well. Anyone with experiences doing that? Or would it be better to go with the R45?

You’ll do just fine in the mountains, plus what’s your time spent in the mountains versus your regular roads and rolling terrain? The R67 are probably one of the lightest wheelsets at that depth. Just think of those top speeds you can hit on the down hills! Lol

C36

by C36

You would also need to factor possible side wind when you consider high front rims in mountains and ensure you properly match tire width with the rim.

calleking

by calleking

I have the D67 and would not want to ride them in the mountains due to gusts. It _can_ be really sketchy and is simply not worth it for me (hit by a car + racing accidents). The small advantage you get during descents is extremely marginal. What is the reward vs risk?

My D67 feel a bit like my gen 2 Enve SES 4.5s (clincher) so they're very non-sensitive to gusts in general and I use them almost all the time compared to my Wilier SLR KC 42mm wheels that came with my Filante. If I only had one wheelset I would be fine with the Hyper D45s.
2022 Wilier Filante SLR Dura-Ace/Ultegra Di2 12sp
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

Retired:
2018 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Sagan Superstar DA 9150
2016 Aeroad CF SLX UDi2
2016 CAAD12 - SRAM Red 22 - Hyper 50mm

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Yeah same I wouldn’t want such deep wheels in the mountains. I would like to take the road down and not fly of the side of it

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Anyone here who have managed to just buy the rims? I asked if they can make the wheels with DT hubs, but the answer i got is they don't sell DT hubs.
I was more thinking of DT 240 and "standard spokes". Not sure i like the added stiffness from carbon spokes. I know the data suggest that stiffer wheels are better, but since i actually bought my first set of Zipp wheels, i realised i really like the ride feel (Zipp = not stiff). They have a more plush, liquid organic ride feel IMO.
I also got this feeling from my old Easton EC90 Aero 55.
I wonder if the wheels feels and handles more calm with a less stiff approach?
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:24 pm
Anyone here who have managed to just buy the rims? I asked if they can make the wheels with DT hubs, but the answer i got is they don't sell DT hubs.
I was more thinking of DT 240 and "standard spokes". Not sure i like the added stiffness from carbon spokes. I know the data suggest that stiffer wheels are better, but since i actually bought my first set of Zipp wheels, i realised i really like the ride feel (Zipp = not stiff). They have a more plush, liquid organic ride feel IMO.
The spokes are what make Hyper wheels special, the rims aren't anything special. If you don't want their hubs and spokes why are you bothering to try to get their rims instead of something else like Light Bicycle or Farsports?

C36

by C36

Lelandjt wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:
The spokes are what make Hyper wheels special, the rims aren't anything special. If you don't want their hubs and spokes why are you bothering to try to get their rims instead of something else like Light Bicycle or Farsports?
Hubs are so so (from seals and FH machining) but rims have variable wall thickness (way thinner in between the spokes), something you don’t see everywhere. I think I calculated my 50mm rim at 435g-440g quite good.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Lelandjt wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:14 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Width and depth for rim brakes (i would only go for r67)
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Ronin416

by Ronin416

wheelsONfire wrote:Anyone here who have managed to just buy the rims? I asked if they can make the wheels with DT hubs, but the answer i got is they don't sell DT hubs.

This is irrelevant and off topic.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

C36 wrote:
Lelandjt wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:
Hubs are so so (from seals and FH machining) but rims have variable wall thickness (way thinner in between the spokes), something you don’t see everywhere. I think I calculated my 50mm rim at 435g-440g quite good.
Just throw in some high quality replacement bearings and you’re good! It’s the stiffness of the carbon spokes is what makes the difference and end target weight.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

Lelandjt wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:
On point!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ronin416

by Ronin416

wheelsONfire wrote:Anyone here who have managed to just buy the rims? I asked if they can make the wheels with DT hubs, but the answer i got is they don't sell DT hubs.
You’re riding a road bike not a hybrid… lol just run less psi and larger tires. Use the tires for comfort and let the wheel do what it’s suppose to do. Race cars don’t have soft chassis’s - if you know what I mean.