Winspace Hyper

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
zappafile123

by zappafile123

wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:24 pm
Anyone here who have managed to just buy the rims? I asked if they can make the wheels with DT hubs, but the answer i got is they don't sell DT hubs.
I was more thinking of DT 240 and "standard spokes". Not sure i like the added stiffness from carbon spokes. I know the data suggest that stiffer wheels are better, but since i actually bought my first set of Zipp wheels, i realised i really like the ride feel (Zipp = not stiff). They have a more plush, liquid organic ride feel IMO.
I also got this feeling from my old Easton EC90 Aero 55.
I wonder if the wheels feels and handles more calm with a less stiff approach?
Yeah you can buy rims on their own if you ask them. I got quoted 500 USD for a rear Hyper 67 rim (to replace a broken rim). I decided it wasnt good VFM so didnt buy it.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ClydesDale

by ClydesDale

Anyone using D45's on their gravel bike? Didn't see a lot of info in this thread about anyone using them for gravel - racing and 50/50 with road riding, similiar to how a lot of people use 303(s)'s.

Thanks!

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

zappafile123 wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:20 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Anyone here who have managed to just buy the rims? I asked if they can make the wheels with DT hubs, but the answer i got is they don't sell DT hubs.
I was more thinking of DT 240 and "standard spokes". Not sure i like the added stiffness from carbon spokes. I know the data suggest that stiffer wheels are better, but since i actually bought my first set of Zipp wheels, i realised i really like the ride feel (Zipp = not stiff). They have a more plush, liquid organic ride feel IMO.
Yeah you can buy rims on their own if you ask them. I got quoted 500 USD for a rear Hyper 67 rim (to replace a broken rim). I decided it wasnt good VFM so didnt buy it.
Looking at the wheelsets price, then 500 USD for a rim seems hysterical :shock:
A damaged rim at that price, being a customer, that isn't good at all.
This is another thing making me reconsider it all.

Especially since a new set 1200 USD (yeah, i would easily buy the SE steel bearing version).
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

RDY

by RDY

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:24 am
zappafile123 wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:20 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Looking at the wheelsets price, then 500 USD for a rim seems hysterical :shock:
A damaged rim at that price, being a customer, that isn't good at all.
This is another thing making me reconsider it all.

Especially since a new set 1200 USD (yeah, i would easily buy the SE steel bearing version).
Speeder don't sell the 67 'butterfly' pattern, at least not publicly, but you can get the 45s. And they certainly won't charge you 500 per rim.

https://www.speedercycling.com/28mm-Wid ... _p380.html

cristianx

by cristianx

Anyone have experiences with the Hyper SE wheels?
I'm looking to get a set of Rim break 33s or 45s soon and keen to hear people's thoughts on them.

Ferdi77

by Ferdi77

Anyone with some real world braking experience (e.g. steep descents / using them in the mountains) for the rim brake models?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C36

by C36

I have the Hyper 50 but the braking surface is the same to all their brake wheels except their 2023 SE line.
On the dry I have nothing to complain about the bite and modulation is really good especially with their brakepads (Black Price lack bite and modulation, Campagnolo bring too much modulation then lack bite, the blue pads from Reynolds are shit and I haven't risked trying the Shimano -they are really hard-). I find the rear wheel locking point fairly easilly and I find it quite consistent.
With proper adjustment on my eeBrakes I have no "pig being slaughtered" noises, when adjustment is not perfect (or pads wear would request more adjustment) they appeared only toward the end of the full stop braking (when the wheel turns slowly).
Now this is for probably a 75-77kg rolling weight (64 me, 6 for the bike and probably 5-7 for the water and gears), in the Alps (8/13% slope range?) Just looking at yesterday's ride, typical speeds were 55/70 before entering the curves and anywhere between 30 and 55 at the apex.
Last edited by C36 on Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ferdi77

by Ferdi77

C36 wrote:I have the Hyper 50 but the braking surface is the same to all their brake wheels except their 2023 SE line.
On the dry I have nothing to complain about the bite and modulation is really good especially with their brakepads (Black Price lack bite and modulation, Campagnolo bring too much modulation then lack bite, the blue pads from Reynolds are shit and I haven't risked trying the Shimano -they are really hard-). I find the rear wheel locking point fairly easilly and I find it quite consistent.
With proper adjustment on my eeBrakes I have no "pig being slaugthered" noises, when adjustment is not perfect (or pads wear would request more adjustment) they appeared only toward the end of the full stop braking (when the wheel turns slowly).
Now this is for probably a 75-77kg rolling weight (64 me, 6 for the bike and probably 5-7 for the water and gears), in the Alps (8/13% slope range?) Just looking at yesterday's ride, typical speeds were 55/70 before entering the curves and anywhere between 30 and 55 at the apex.
Thanks! And what about in the wet? What brake pads are you using at the moment?

C36

by C36

I haven't used them much in the rain. When raining hard I don't do many passes and would try to switch to a pair of Mavic Exalith aluminium rims.
I did few rides on very wet roads (melted snow) and braking is average. Not an issue for training and I haven't done fast descents under the rain to comment race type situations.

Till yesterday I was still playing with brakepads, had black prince on the rear and the winspace on the front, I just installed winspace pads on both calipers.

Avalius

by Avalius

Friend broke a rim it was around 650 dollar to ship one to Belgium,
Team abandoned hypers due to this, wheel exploded when hitting a huge pothole :s

Ferdi77

by Ferdi77

C36 wrote:I haven't used them much in the rain. When raining hard I don't do many passes and would try to switch to a pair of Mavic Exalith aluminium rims.
I did few rides on very wet roads (melted snow) and braking is average. Not an issue for training and I haven't done fast descents under the rain to comment race type situations.

Till yesterday I was still playing with brakepads, had black prince on the rear and the winspace on the front, I just installed winspace pads on both calipers.
Do you think the 50s rim brake Version are capable of a mountain fondo like Ötztaler ? 227km / 5500 m elevation gain
Or should I switch to alloy clincher wheels ?

Jz91

by Jz91

Ferdi77 wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:48 pm
C36 wrote:I haven't used them much in the rain. When raining hard I don't do many passes and would try to switch to a pair of Mavic Exalith aluminium rims.

Do you think the 50s rim brake Version are capable of a mountain fondo like Ötztaler ? 227km / 5500 m elevation gain

Just had this happening to me this weekend...I'm certainly not one who drags brakes down descents and I'm not 100kgs....

Essentialy the left pad got destroyed during the descent and I'm really not sure how. I was on swissstop flash evo.

Now I'm waiting for a reply from Winspace. Rim had very low mileage installed first in April or so.

I think they were decent pads but haven't compared them against others. Under the rain I confirm braking is ok but nothing more. Also, I cannot seem to find the original pads on the winspace online store. So any recommendation is welcome really.
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2023-06-18 at 16.20.03.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-06-19 at 11.36.48.jpeg

C36

by C36

Ferdi77 wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:48 pm
Under the rain I would probably play safe with aluminium rims (for the Etape du Tour I am preparing a set of Ksyrium SLR exalith in case weather turns nasty) cause you likely don't know the roads and need to deal with all other participants.

On the dry, I am not seeing why they wouldn't resist. My distance tracking is not perfect but the wheels have between 55 and 65 000md+ and the front brakepad that I just moved to the rear has 80 000m d+ (used them also on my other carbon wheels). I can load a picture of the rim but there are no wear signs, now the brake pads are very regularly cleaned so they don't build up debris.

C36

by C36

Jz91 wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:34 am
Just had this happening to me this weekend...I'm certainly not one who drags brakes down descents and I'm not 100kgs....
Essentialy the left pad got destroyed during the descent and I'm really not sure how. I was on swissstop flash evo.
Do you mean that a single pad got totally wornout? did the pad holder touched the wheel? from the picture it looks like some fibers have been pulled out no?

Jz91

by Jz91

C36 wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:47 pm
Jz91 wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:34 am
Do you mean that a single pad got totally wornout? did the pad holder touched the wheel? from the picture it looks like some fibers have been pulled out no?
Correct, only the left pad essentialy vanished during the second descent...I really couldn't tell what happened to cause this. Initially I blamed the pad but my team suggested it might have been the rim. :noidea:

I don't see signs on the pad holder either so I'm rather confident it did not touch the wheel. I took the picture straight after the event and those were residue of the pad itself.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com