Winspace Hyper

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
rlanger

by rlanger

Attermann wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:08 am
scapewalker wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:25 pm
A reddit user had his Winscape Hyper D67s explode.
Doesn't make me feel all that confident riding mine :shock:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Velo/comments/ ... _exploded/
He's running a 24 mm tyre tubeless, that would need a lot of pressure, and it could be air escaping into the rim for all we know, or are these wheels without tape?
No, they come with the tape and valves pre-installed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

apr46

by apr46

Isnt the simplest explaination here is that the damage is a standard, cracked rim via a direct hit with something in the road? The damage looks different because of the way the rim is made / finished (e.g., filament winding with the butterfly weave or whatever they the finish) and the carbon spokes.

The blowout of the carbon wheel due to pressure seems really far fetched to happen while riding as the pressure in the combined tire and cavity would be fairly low. I dont think there is anything to see here except to potentially ask of the nature of this failure made a rider injury more likely than a traditional carbon rim with steep spokes.

The spoke just hanging out is a concern, but it looks like the others stayed put. Looking at the picture, it looks like the overall damage might be greater because of the carbon spokes but its hard to tell from the photos.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

apr46 wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:51 pm
The blowout of the carbon wheel due to pressure seems really far fetched to happen while riding as the pressure in the combined tire and cavity would be fairly low. I dont think there is anything to see here except to potentially ask of the nature of this failure made a rider injury more likely than a traditional carbon rim with steep spokes.
If the tire started at 75psi and leak into the rim, then it'd be down to around 24psi once all the air movement stabilize I think.
24psi of much more volume is still vary hard on the surface skin. Try 24psi MTB tire. That kind of tension push outward on the very thin carbon wall where it is easy to squeze by hand. Then shear off the joint where rim is joined. I don't think that's what happen here because of how rim bed collapse down rather than up. So it doesn't look like it caused by air escape.

Still, air escape failure mode isn't all that uncommon. It's why Enve release Pressure Relieve valve and many other rim manufacturers include drain hole on the rim to allow quick water and air escape path. Also, another potential way to prevent this is to make spoke hole itself act as pressure relieve holes. Spoke holes normally isn't completely air tight. But at the same time, the rate which air can move is too slow so it can't relieve the pressure fast enough for rim tape failure even anyway. I don't know if the carbon spokes and nippl are any more air tight than normal combo.

apr46

by apr46

I thought a lot of the Enve failures, in particular, were during inflation not from having a rim tape failure while riding.

charirider

by charirider

Reading all this = chinese stuff is still a crap. Will stick to my heavy Visions.
2018 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2 rim size 56 (raw stripped) 6.8kg
2014 Bridgestone Anchor CX6 Equipe size 55 (cyclocross) 9.6kg

nickf

by nickf

charirider wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:55 am
Reading all this = chinese stuff is still a crap. Will stick to my heavy Visions.
Where do you think vision wheels are made, their factory in Taiwan perhaps? No I don't own any hyper wheels so I'm not here to defend them. But nearly every bicycle component is made in the far east. Useless comment.

maxima

by maxima

Made in China, packaged in Taiwan, ship to USA/Europe :D

Even the most expensive mass production frames are MADE IN CHINA or TAIWAN!! :mrgreen: Your Conalgo and Pinarello.......

So, the far east have questionable quality control at times, but having ride bikes for 35+ years and own every top brands, the quality control of the Far East are way better than Europe...have own easily more than 40 frameset made in Europe for the past 35 years.......it is not short of minor to major defects(including BB is totally out of alignment!!!!! :evil: for the most expensive frameset of that time! I'm sorry, but that is the true from a personal real life perspective

For Example, and I'm 101% sure iPhones, made in China are of 101% better quality than those made in other parts of the world, for example they moving part of production of iphone to India..I will not touch those made in India for sure!!!!............. :smartass:

You should compare apple to apple in price point. In most cases, you can get a warranty replacement with Far East brands easily compare to American or European brands. Taking my warranty claims against specialized and pinarello, it is as process intense as a divorce :unbelievable: THe worst brand today is the CANNONDALE, for a crack RD hangar they refuse the claim for a relatively new bike..............

charirider wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:55 am

charirider

by charirider

Its about QC. If western company controls manufacturing, made in china is ok. If it's pure chinese made, quality is questionable.
Taiwan is a different manufacturing culture, doesn't compare to mainland.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

charirider wrote:Its about QC. If western company controls manufacturing, made in china is ok. If it's pure chinese made, quality is questionable.
I’ve heard larger brands have actual employees from their own company that either visit or work on site as QC and that’s quite similar in other sport industries and electronics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charirider

by charirider

I am not against all Chinese made stuff; some of it is actually really good.
Also I am not advocating western-made stuff 100%. I had a couple of different Zipp wheelsets (202 Tubular, 302 Tubeless, 404 FC) all had manufacture defects: moudling irregularities (bubbles), large amount of nylon baloon (used during moudling process) stuck inside rims, bulged out carbon near spokes (on NEW wheelset!), not to mention scratched rims out of the box due to por packaging (no cushioning, only carton!). But, I never ever saw or heard about Zipp failure from my friends. Only rim cracking after hitting some really bad potholes. But leaking air, braking surface failing? No. Maybe stuff used in Grand Tour just has more QC? Campagnolo, Vision, Shimano, Zipp (previously), you name it.

maxima

by maxima

I've to agree to the QC part as somehting important. But with the mainland products catching up on quality and design, it will help push the branded to improve. The Bicycle industry is lacking innovations, except for non-stop innovative price increase!!!! Even a mid tier Bicycle cost as must as a Ducati Bike.....the only innovation i see most often is "special colors or limited edition colors"....Being a enginer for 27 years............. :twisted: ......WTF is this?

charirider wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:31 am
Its about QC. If western company controls manufacturing, made in china is ok. If it's pure chinese made, quality is questionable.

toxin

by toxin

If people pay the prices keep rising

summer

by summer

Does Hyper Lun come with centerlock lockring?

tharmor

by tharmor

Anyone know what's going on with the Mega d67? There are videos and even cached product pages on winspace's website, but from what I can tell they are not for sale at the moment.

toxin

by toxin

They have 33 and 67 megas uci registered, my guess is mega sales are not that good

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com