Winspace Hyper

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
alanyu

by alanyu

eeney wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:07 am
Damaged spokes - when to replace?

This may sound odd, but if the carbon spokes are slightly damaged, how do you decide when they need replacing?

I had derailleur smash in to the spokes and some have damage, not snapped but have damage to the edges of the spokes in places. Looks like splinters on the edges.

I'm trying to work out if/which need replacing, and/or if some could just be sanded down to tidy-up but keep then keep them running.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/r26pD82roDBDVBc29
Besides the 5+ broken spokes, the hub flange is also cracked. I will replace both the hub and the spokes

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

romanmoser

by romanmoser

I see a few lines on the hubs flange too, not sure if a hair, crack, dirty thing

On the right the black line, is a strand from the carbon fiber spoke
coming over on the flange

C36

by C36

Hexsense wrote: "Just enough" is the key word.
26mm wide rim is best fitted with 23mm tire. 25mm is acceptable, though it'll inflate wider than the rim.

Mass cycling population no longer want 23mm tires. They want the rim that work best with tire labelled 25mm, with option to use 28mm labelled tire without much penalty.
So when buying a new wheelset in 2022, they don't want "just enough" width (best with 23, but can also run 25). They want it optimal for popular tire choice (25mm) and future proof it with option to run 28mm tire later.
A bit of off topic
The tire labelling is a mess… cause the brands use different references.
On top of my head Continental and Michelin refer to a 17c that is the narrower rim of the new Etrto chart, Vittoria use a different rim width reference depending on the expected tire width (to the point you could have 2 tires labled differently measuring the same on the same on a particular rim…)

The reality is that most tires stamped 23mm measure 25ish on 19mm rims. A simple labelling change would break this mental barrier that “I now need to have at least 25mm”.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Yeah I don’t see failure in the hub flange. I see the stray carbon fiber strand that could be mistaken for a crack.

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

C36 wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:53 pm
Hexsense wrote: "Just enough" is the key word.
26mm wide rim is best fitted with 23mm tire. 25mm is acceptable, though it'll inflate wider than the rim.

Mass cycling population no longer want 23mm tires. They want the rim that work best with tire labelled 25mm, with option to use 28mm labelled tire without much penalty.
So when buying a new wheelset in 2022, they don't want "just enough" width (best with 23, but can also run 25). They want it optimal for popular tire choice (25mm) and future proof it with option to run 28mm tire later.
A bit of off topic
The tire labelling is a mess… cause the brands use different references.
On top of my head Continental and Michelin refer to a 17c that is the narrower rim of the new Etrto chart, Vittoria use a different rim width reference depending on the expected tire width (to the point you could have 2 tires labled differently measuring the same on the same on a particular rim…)

The reality is that most tires stamped 23mm measure 25ish on 19mm rims. A simple labelling change would break this mental barrier that “I now need to have at least 25mm”.
That would be a good start, however not all 25s (say) measure the same. As an exmaple on the same rim a Conti 4000 S2 in 25 measures 2mm wider than a Conti 5000 in 25 :noidea:
Scott Foil RC10 Ultegra 12 speed / Creston 50 - 7.9Kg

Ferdi77

by Ferdi77

Asked the same in the other thread:

Anyone who has winspace hyper and the boras and who can give side to side comparison?

Deciding between those (hyper 50 / bora wto 60) wheels.
Well - one point is the price difference - 1100 euros vs 1500 euros.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zappafile123

by zappafile123

Ferdi77 wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:15 pm
Asked the same in the other thread:

Anyone who has winspace hyper and the boras and who can give side to side comparison?

Deciding between those (hyper 50 / bora wto 60) wheels.
Well - one point is the price difference - 1100 euros vs 1500 euros.

I have had WTO 60s and have Hyper65s (waiting for 67s to arrive)

Hyper 65s feel much stiffer, more responsive (faster to accelerate), and faster than WTO 60s. Hyper65s are about 80g lighter (not including skewers). WTOs feel sluggish to accelerate. Stiffness is on par with other metal spoked wheels, but they cant touch carbon spokes. WTOs have much better braking, better crosswind stability, transmit less high frequency road buzz, and have smoother feeling hubs. If you want to feel fast, get the Hypers, if you dont mind more of a cruisey ride feel, get the WTO.

If you want to try the Hyper50s they're going to be 250g lighter (My Bora were 1600g, Hypers are ~1350g). Acceleration and climbing will be another level. Relatively speaking WTO would feel like boat anchors compared to Hyper50s if you did a back to back comparison.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

Ferdi77

by Ferdi77

To the R67 owners: do the rims especially the rear one fits into normal Ultegra direct mount calipers? Frameset would be Oltre xr4

RoyG

by RoyG

I'm torn between 50s and R45. For all out performance on a pan flat country like Singapore, which one you guys prefer? I'm not quite keen on R67 since I'm light at 60kg and has low raw output power. I want that I can accelerate faster at quickest time. Thanks!

Ronin416

by Ronin416

RoyG wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:02 pm
I'm torn between 50s and R45. For all out performance on a pan flat country like Singapore, which one you guys prefer? I'm not quite keen on R67 since I'm light at 60kg and has low raw output power. I want that I can accelerate faster at quickest time. Thanks!

The posts a few before had already said, the 65's accelerate well, the shorter spokes and taller rim results in that feedback. The new R67 weigh only 1418g for wheels that deep. Something to seriously consider.

I'd chose R45 over the older narrower 50mm HYPERs any day. The rounded shape front wheel of the R45 is more current and more ideal to run 28mm, if you're still running 25's it be a faster setup on them anyways.

RoyG

by RoyG

Ronin416 wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:25 am
RoyG wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:02 pm

The posts a few before had already said, the 65's accelerate well, the shorter spokes and taller rim results in that feedback. The new R67 weigh only 1418g for wheels that deep. Something to seriously consider.

I'd chose R45 over the older narrower 50mm HYPERs any day. The rounded shape front wheel of the R45 is more current and more ideal to run 28mm, if you're still running 25's it be a faster setup on them anyways.
Thanks Ronin! Appreciate your insight! Will take a look and consider R67 as well! 🙏

C36

by C36

RoyG wrote:I'm torn between 50s and R45. For all out performance on a pan flat country like Singapore, which one you guys prefer? I'm not quite keen on R67 since I'm light at 60kg and has low raw output power. I want that I can accelerate faster at quickest time. Thanks!
For performance point of view, the 50mm installed with tires that really measure 25mm (Michelin Cup « 23mm » for example).

Not sure how windy is Singapore but the hyper 65 could be another option.

Rim weight « feels » good but impact very little on acceleration. Stiffness would have a larger impact and if we trust Torquepeak relative stiffness numbers (to be taken with great caution…) the 2023 version has some stiffness drop.

RoyG

by RoyG

C36 wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:31 am
RoyG wrote:I'm torn between 50s and R45. For all out performance on a pan flat country like Singapore, which one you guys prefer? I'm not quite keen on R67 since I'm light at 60kg and has low raw output power. I want that I can accelerate faster at quickest time. Thanks!
For performance point of view, the 50mm installed with tires that really measure 25mm (Michelin Cup « 23mm » for example).

Not sure how windy is Singapore but the hyper 65 could be another option.

Rim weight « feels » good but impact very little on acceleration. Stiffness would have a larger impact and if we trust Torquepeak relative stiffness numbers (to be taken with great caution…) the 2023 version has some stiffness drop.
Singapore is fortunately not a windy country since its mostly pan flat and full of structural buildings. Maybe only less than 10 parts of Singapore where you can feel crosswinds due to wide open terrains.

Having said that,

I'm interested to know how the width of the R45 vs Hyper50 in Aerodynamic perspective while NOT considering crosswind stability. I hope someone can give an insight of the two.
Last edited by RoyG on Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eliasharder

by eliasharder

Hi all,
I'm a youth roadie, 16 years old from Victoria BC canada. I've dipped into road racing in the past couple years and as we veer into the winter season I'm already planning my gear for next season as I hope to take my road racing a step up and try out some hill climbs as well (I'm 120lbs ;) with a new set of hoops. Currently I'm running WH-RS370's @1820g set up with 25mm gp5k's on my '19 teammachine slr02 two disc.
Looking for some advice as to what wheels I should opt for. At the moment I'm leaning towards 38 or 50 disc hyper's - I've got a buddy in the industry who can hook me up with a set for ~800usd all said and done, as opposed to 1200usd + fees. From the research I've done this seem like a fairly good option for someone like me. For some context I'll be competing in faster cat4/cat3 equivalent next season (mostly road races 30-80kms) and like I mentioned hopefully trying some hill climbs. I'd also prefer not to be swapping wheelsets back and forth so I'll prolly be doing all my training on these (3-6 rides per week, 40-80kms with 500-1200m of elevation). Given these factors I'm pretty confident the hyper's will be my best bet but I'm very open to suggestions of other wheels and/or personal experience with this wheelset. I'm willing to spend a little more but I'm still in high school and now 100% on my own financially for bike parts. rip.

Finally, if I settle on the hyper's I'm torn on whether to go 38mm or 50. The ~75g weight difference is pretty negligible for me so I'm mostly concerned about cross wind stability vs the aero advantage with the deeper hoops. Victoria is pretty hilly so I'd say I frequently descend at 70kmh but I dont get much faster than that. Any insight on how these wheels perform in cross winds would be greatly appreciated, especially being a light rider as I mentioned. Thanks!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cannondale7om

by cannondale7om

eliasharder wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:32 am
Hi all,
I'm a youth roadie, 16 years old from Victoria BC canada. I've dipped into road racing in the past couple years and as we veer into the winter season I'm already planning my gear for next season as I hope to take my road racing a step up and try out some hill climbs as well (I'm 120lbs ;) with a new set of hoops. Currently I'm running WH-RS370's @1820g set up with 25mm gp5k's on my '19 teammachine slr02 two disc.
Looking for some advice as to what wheels I should opt for. At the moment I'm leaning towards 38 or 50 disc hyper's - I've got a buddy in the industry who can hook me up with a set for ~800usd all said and done, as opposed to 1200usd + fees. From the research I've done this seem like a fairly good option for someone like me. For some context I'll be competing in faster cat4/cat3 equivalent next season (mostly road races 30-80kms) and like I mentioned hopefully trying some hill climbs. I'd also prefer not to be swapping wheelsets back and forth so I'll prolly be doing all my training on these (3-6 rides per week, 40-80kms with 500-1200m of elevation). Given these factors I'm pretty confident the hyper's will be my best bet but I'm very open to suggestions of other wheels and/or personal experience with this wheelset. I'm willing to spend a little more but I'm still in high school and now 100% on my own financially for bike parts. rip.

Finally, if I settle on the hyper's I'm torn on whether to go 38mm or 50. The ~75g weight difference is pretty negligible for me so I'm mostly concerned about cross wind stability vs the aero advantage with the deeper hoops. Victoria is pretty hilly so I'd say I frequently descend at 70kmh but I dont get much faster than that. Any insight on how these wheels perform in cross winds would be greatly appreciated, especially being a light rider as I mentioned. Thanks!!
Why not try the new 45 series? If you gonna choose between 38/50, I would recommend 50s, because the weight difference are not so big but the 50s are definetely more aero.