Winspace Hyper

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
ChinaCycling

by ChinaCycling

christiancarr wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:38 pm
SixThirteen wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:55 am
christiancarr wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:27 pm
Sorry my bad, I should quote @C36.

To make it clear, is there any consensus about best tires for both 2020 and 2023 Hypers taking into account 105% rule and lowest possible rolling resistance?
https://silca.cc/en-au/blogs/silca/part ... rodynamics

If I read correctly, with a toroidal shaped rim, its not the width of the brake track that is the important measure
Is the Hyper 65 toroidal or not? Do we even have the rim profile shape drawing? I asked Winspace support about that, but they replied ´´they don´t have it´´ :shock:
Hey Christian,
We (Winspace) don't give out our rim profile pictures because our neighbours are masters of "copy" / "paste". We don't like pouring money into R&D only for someone else to come along and take it for free, so we try to make it as difficult as we can for them to copy. Anyway, I can tell you, the HYPER 65mm rim is widest at the brake track. It's flat for 12-14mm before it starts to taper in, before a more pronounced taper around 2/3rd of the way down the chord length (if you include the tire as part of the length). The newer HYPER2023 deep rims (60mm and 68mm) are a bit different though.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Those 65’s look real nice, except I find the graphics and weave to be to loud for me. Would be nice if there is and all black version

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

christiancarr

by christiancarr

ChinaCycling wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:47 am
christiancarr wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:38 pm
SixThirteen wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:55 am
christiancarr wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:27 pm
Sorry my bad, I should quote @C36.

To make it clear, is there any consensus about best tires for both 2020 and 2023 Hypers taking into account 105% rule and lowest possible rolling resistance?
https://silca.cc/en-au/blogs/silca/part ... rodynamics

If I read correctly, with a toroidal shaped rim, its not the width of the brake track that is the important measure
Is the Hyper 65 toroidal or not? Do we even have the rim profile shape drawing? I asked Winspace support about that, but they replied ´´they don´t have it´´ :shock:
Hey Christian,
We (Winspace) don't give out our rim profile pictures because our neighbours are masters of "copy" / "paste". We don't like pouring money into R&D only for someone else to come along and take it for free, so we try to make it as difficult as we can for them to copy. Anyway, I can tell you, the HYPER 65mm rim is widest at the brake track. It's flat for 12-14mm before it starts to taper in, before a more pronounced taper around 2/3rd of the way down the chord length (if you include the tire as part of the length). The newer HYPER2023 deep rims (60mm and 68mm) are a bit different though.
Hi Winspace guy, thanks for your reply.
I understand what you mean, but anyway I don´t think the rim profile is something so special that you can´t share with your customers. Even big brands have no problems with it. If your neighbours would want, they can just buy one set and cut it to see the secret.
It´s only important for me to choose the right tyre, but from your description I can at least imagine the profile shape.
Is the widest rim section (brake track) exactly 26 mm? Or is it something like 26.2 mm? The inner rim width is exactly 19 mm?
Thanks

christiancarr

by christiancarr

robbosmans wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:05 am
Those 65’s look real nice, except I find the graphics and weave to be to loud for me. Would be nice if there is and all black version
Horses for courses, but I don´t think they are so loud. About weave, what do you mean? The ´butterfly´ weave are only on Hyper 50. The Hyper 65 are not even UD from what I understand. They seem to be lacquered black with grey graphics.
Personally I´d be happier with UD carbon finish rather than black.

https://www.winspace.cc/lun-hyper-se-65 ... elset.html

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Oops I meant the 67’s, yes they don’t have the ugly weaving, but they still look grey. If they would come in matt ud black I would get them. Just a small little decal at the valve would be perfect.

caballero

by caballero

winspace has changed their page settings and as im in japan am only able to access the japanese winspace page. The wheels are oughly double the price they were when we could acces the international page.

Plus they are claiming they are made in japan, or originated here, arent these designed and produced in main land china ?

eeney

by eeney

caballero wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:42 pm
winspace has changed their page settings and as im in japan am only able to access the japanese winspace page. The wheels are oughly double the price they were when we could acces the international page.

Plus they are claiming they are made in japan, or originated here, arent these designed and produced in main land china ?
Interestingly winspacejp.cc is listed as a dealer on the main winspace.cc page..... are these local partners?

Obviously the 'made in Japan' is a bit cheeky to put it politely. The price difference will be the partners margin, many people would be happy to pay extra for local contact and service (assuming you get this).

Often companies will have partners in other regions who use the parent company name, but it another partner company under the covers, just check the names of the companies on your credit card statement compared to shop/cafe name where you spent the money.

eeney

by eeney

Damaged spokes - when to replace?

This may sound odd, but if the carbon spokes are slightly damaged, how do you decide when they need replacing?

I had derailleur smash in to the spokes and some have damage, not snapped but have damage to the edges of the spokes in places. Looks like splinters on the edges.

I'm trying to work out if/which need replacing, and/or if some could just be sanded down to tidy-up but keep then keep them running.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/r26pD82roDBDVBc29

caballero

by caballero

I think 2 Or 3 of those will need to be replaced. Looks like the fibers have been severed.

PinaRene

by PinaRene

I should the wheel to be re-spoked at Winspace. I see 4 structural damaged spokes, and with an 21 spoke wheel I should certainly let it be re-spoked, just for my safe. Or you might be a wheelbuilder yourselve and can get the spoke tensioning as it was like it left the factory. Or you could rise the wheel with a very good dental insurance.

eeney

by eeney

PinaRene wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:14 pm
I should the wheel to be re-spoked at Winspace.........
This sounds like the ideal solution, but with shipping won't it blow out the cost and time?

.... answered my own question $30-50 shipping and 6-8 weeks estimated shipping time. I realise that I've been unlucky here, but it does highlight one of the risks when buying overseas. I wonder if it's better if you're in a country where Winspace have dealers?

On a positive, I complained about the shipping time and Winspace offered to upgrade to Fedex - that was very fair of them.

Otherwise I love the wheels.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

Roadrocket wrote:Hyper Special Edition... https://www.winspace.cc/wheels/road-whe ... tml?cat=56
Not so bad for $900 I think. I don´t really care about ceramic BS anyway.
Old rim profiles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

Old but still faster than new stuff :noidea:

I don´t understand this super wide road rim and tires hype and 26mm rim width sound just enough for me.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Roadrocket wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:15 pm
Old but still faster than new stuff :noidea:

I don´t understand this super wide road rim and tires hype and 26mm rim width sound just enough for me.
"Just enough" is the key word.
26mm wide rim is best fitted with 23mm tire. 25mm is acceptable, though it'll inflate wider than the rim.

Mass cycling population no longer want 23mm tires. They want the rim that work best with tire labelled 25mm, with option to use 28mm labelled tire without much penalty.
So when buying a new wheelset in 2022, they don't want "just enough" width (best with 23, but can also run 25). They want it optimal for popular tire choice (25mm) and future proof it with option to run 28mm tire later.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

PinaRene wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:14 pm
I should the wheel to be re-spoked at Winspace. I see 4 structural damaged spokes, and with an 21 spoke wheel I should certainly let it be re-spoked, just for my safe. Or you might be a wheelbuilder yourselve and can get the spoke tensioning as it was like it left the factory. Or you could rise the wheel with a very good dental insurance.

I see at least 5 spokes with considerable damage, possibly a 6th at least somewhat damaged.

Color me unimpressed, but also unsurprised. Carbon composite really does not handle impacts, particularly high psi ones, well. Steel spokes would have survived basically undamaged…maybe black coated spokes would have lost some of the surface treatment, but that’s it.

This doesn’t bode well for random rocks/pebbles or even twigs being kicked into the spokes, such as by other bikes on group rides.