Winspace Hyper

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Ronin416

by Ronin416

AgentScully wrote:Anyone running the new hypers? Contemplating between the 35mm and the mid section with a 46 front 54 rear. Still pretty light at around 1300gm for a mid/deep section wheel.
I’m on the D45 and 50mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eeney

by eeney

AgentScully wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:32 am
Anyone running the new hypers? Contemplating between the 35mm and the mid section with a 46 front 54 rear. Still pretty light at around 1300gm for a mid/deep section wheel.
I have the R45s on my main road bike. I love them, spin up and roll very well. I run them with TPU tubes. However, they do catch the wind a little, so for my recent touring bike build that I want to use in any weather, I went with 35mm front and 45mm rear.

Very very happy with the R45s on my road bike. I managed to damage 6 spokes, got new ones from Lun and no issues fitting once I got the correct spoke wrench.

medic

by medic

Just got this from Winspace regarding rim brake version of MEGA - not good news for all of us with rim brake bikes...

Screenshot 2023-05-08 161958.png

C36

by C36

Not sure if a big loss, 50g less and 5% stiffness is not really a game changer.
They have bonded spokes to the hub but not to the rim and this is the part that makes the LW or Ultimates special.
Furthermore they still need tape so there is no gain there too.

eeney

by eeney

C36 wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 10:14 am
They have bonded spokes to the hub but not to the rim.........
How do you change spokes? Within a few rides on my Hypers I damaged 6 spokes (derailleur went in to the wheel), luckily the spokes were easy enough to replace.... how do these bonded spokes work? And it looks like crossing spokes are also bonded together?

C36

by C36

eeney wrote:
C36 wrote:
They have bonded spokes to the hub but not to the rim.........
How do you change spokes? Within a few rides on my Hypers I damaged 6 spokes (derailleur went in to the wheel), luckily the spokes were easy enough to replace.... how do these bonded spokes work? And it looks like crossing spokes are also bonded together?
Sorry to read that. Curious to see how they broke, would you have a picture?

To change spokes on the Hyper, just like a normal spoke with internal nipples (need to remove the rim tape to access the nipple)

On the Mega? You change the entire set of spokes. Customer service told me they would send replacement for free if you show the damaged spokes.

eeney

by eeney

The spokes didn't break, but they were damanaged, kinda splitered slightly at the edges where the derailleur hit them. TBH, I probably could have continued to use them.

I got new spokes from Lun and fitting was easy, just needed to buy the internal spoke wrench/socket tool. I just tensioned each spoke to the same as the other spokes (I have a budget spoke tension meter from Aliexpress) and the wheel was true without any tweaking

Replacing a full set of spokes on the mega sounds like a much bigger job

C36

by C36

eeney wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 12:36 pm
The spokes didn't break, but they were damanaged, kinda splitered slightly at the edges where the derailleur hit them. TBH, I probably could have continued to use them.

I got new spokes from Lun and fitting was easy, just needed to buy the internal spoke wrench/socket tool. I just tensioned each spoke to the same as the other spokes (I have a budget spoke tension meter from Aliexpress) and the wheel was true without any tweaking

Replacing a full set of spokes on the mega sounds like a much bigger job
That is still good to know, if the wheel integrity is preserved, then that is not really worse than SS spokes when the derailleur gets too intimate with them.

nickf

by nickf

C36 wrote:
Not sure if a big loss, 50g less and 5% stiffness is not really a game changer.
They have bonded spokes to the hub but not to the rim and this is the part that makes the LW or Ultimates special.
Furthermore they still need tape so there is no gain there too.
This.

CoastalRider

by CoastalRider

Is anyone having difficulty with warranty service lately? I have 8 spokes on my rear wheel that have splintered or have visible fractures after one year of riding that were identified by my LBS when I went in for service. I've never had an accident or impact, and there's no visible issue anywhere on the rim--only failing spokes. I contacted them last week with photos, got a fast reply from emma and their service tech asking for clarifying questions. I followed up immediately 6 days ago, and again 2 days ago, but have not received a further reply. This is a little frustrating as I'd like to get this resolved asap so I can get back on the road. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

KalleWirsch

by KalleWirsch

I rode through rain today and when I was back home I realized that water sloshed inside the back rim (54mm Hyper 2023).
It didn´t went out, so I had to release the air in the tube to push the valve back to get the water out.
Is this normal that water comes in the rim and doesn´t go out again by themselve?

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

KalleWirsch wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 7:11 pm
I rode through rain today and when I was back home I realized that water sloshed inside the back rim (54mm Hyper 2023).
It didn´t went out, so I had to release the air in the tube to push the valve back to get the water out.
Is this normal that water comes in the rim and doesn´t go out again by themselve?
I've seen it on many rims, though not my Hypers specifically. It's often from hosing. Many rims have weep holes to let the water out.

KalleWirsch

by KalleWirsch

Lelandjt wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 8:35 pm
I've seen it on many rims, though not my Hypers specifically. It's often from hosing. Many rims have weep holes to let the water out.
There are holes in the Winspace, too, but too small. No water came out at the hole.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

KalleWirsch wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 8:07 am
Lelandjt wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 8:35 pm
There are holes in the Winspace, too, but too small. No water came out at the hole.
If you put them in the sun with the hole at the lowest point the water will come out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KalleWirsch

by KalleWirsch

Lelandjt wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 6:31 pm
If you put them in the sun with the hole at the lowest point the water will come out.
Not clear what you mean by "lowest point". The hole is in the sidewall of the rim. If I lay the rim flat down like a pizza on a plate, all points on the rim at the height of the hole are at the same point, because it´s a circle.
Or am I wrong? :?