Roval 2020/2021 Road Wheelsets

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 5:41 pm
pmprego wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 5:31 pm
"The total weight has increased somewhat as a result, though it’s said that this is compensated for by the reduced rolling resistance of tubeless wheels." - ah ah ah

This is the marketing spin I was expecting. Sooooo goood!!
I am by no means a fan of added weight and I do not agree that tubeless inherently rolls faster (as aforementioned), but in reality, 100g added, in a super light 70kg system, on a 10% gradient, at 400W, is sub 0.5W of "power wasted".
No that big of a deal really.
But I know which Forum this is...
Just buy the first gen. Save weight, money and still 1,000,000,000% tubeless.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

^ just dont miss-time curbs :shock:
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

pmprego wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 5:43 pm
FlatlandClimber wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 5:41 pm
pmprego wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 5:31 pm
"The total weight has increased somewhat as a result, though it’s said that this is compensated for by the reduced rolling resistance of tubeless wheels." - ah ah ah

This is the marketing spin I was expecting. Sooooo goood!!
I am by no means a fan of added weight and I do not agree that tubeless inherently rolls faster (as aforementioned), but in reality, 100g added, in a super light 70kg system, on a 10% gradient, at 400W, is sub 0.5W of "power wasted".
No that big of a deal really.
But I know which Forum this is...
I'm just arguing about the marketing spin. With the v1 weight was a priority and tubeless was still not there. With v2, weight is not important and tubeless is "there" - even though no new tubeless was presented by them.
I agree it's not a great look.

@ryanw - I have the V1 already. Never ran them TL, since I am still very much happy with the Turbo cotton
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Having seen the new Enve stuff, I'd seriously consider buying a pair of these wheels (gen1) since no other wheel comes close for an all round wheel.

Have tested in the tunnel and the Rapdie is less than a watt slower than Enve 5.6 @ 40kph whilst being considerably lighter, in the rim where it matters.

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

ryanw wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 7:50 pm
Having seen the new Enve stuff, I'd seriously consider buying a pair of these wheels (gen1) since no other wheel comes close for an all round wheel.

Have tested in the tunnel and the Rapdie is less than a watt slower than Enve 5.6 @ 40kph whilst being considerably lighter, in the rim where it matters.
Are the new Enve 5.6 something yet to be released? And is your info that they are still relatively heavy?

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

new Enve's are "supposed" to be released this month. Dreaming for zipp353 kinda weight loss. Current are pushing close to upper 15xxg.. so something in the low 14's would be nice.

cajer

by cajer

ryanw wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 7:50 pm

Is that the new unreleased enve 5.6? Also do you know how the Aeolus 62's compare? I'm trying to decide on a new wheelset

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Tour tested the DT62 and Bontrager 62 around 3W faster than the Roval Rapide. That's 45kph.

New ENVE wheels sounds super exciting! Especially if they finally become lighter.
Really looking for a new disc that's >1050g and modern width.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Running a 62/75 RSL setup seems pretty steller at this point.

or 51/62. stuck in a holding pattern until I see what Enve does.

cajer

by cajer

spdntrxi wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Running a 62/75 RSL setup seems pretty steller at this point.

or 51/62. stuck in a holding pattern until I see what Enve does.
That's more or less what I'm planning on doing. I currently have a Knot 64 up front (tested faster than CLX 64 at low yaw), and was thinking of getting a Aeolus 75 in the rear. I'd be running 23/25mm tires for aero on the front and a bit better rolling resistance and comfort in the rear

romanmoser

by romanmoser

the clx32/50 were tubeless ready but not the most easy and failureprooff design setup I saw
I had one guy burping and tire coming off not too much pressure light etc on a clx50

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

I was referring to current 5.6.
I would most definitely buy a pair now if you want a pair.

romanmoser

by romanmoser

can't say i have been impressed by enve quality and finish to be frank
and yeah internal nipples are slightly faster, but ffs with tubeless it's a mess , make mine external or semi external nipples

between the seatpost finicky adjustement and not light
, stems ( severals roads ones, one aero one , broke one edge at the screws steerer location it broke out after 5 years, a newer one delaminating on the downpart, and the finish issue on the aero one front part, known issues taken in warranty mostly )
the non flat flatmount forks ...

And the rims that have white spots and not the cleanest of the finish
yeah i know they get ouf the mold like that and no refinish
but hey campagnolo and others manage to do that with a proper finish
considering the very expensive ( even for cycling surtaxed cause cyclist prices ) price, enve should do better

i love their ergonomics and design
but damn that's not as clean as it should

good think they have quite good warranty , and crash replacement ( maybe not in europe so good as in the USA )

why do we tolerate such things ?

HaroldC

by HaroldC

spdntrxi wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 7:07 pm
^ just dont miss-time curbs :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

jlok

by jlok

romanmoser wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 11:05 pm
can't say i have been impressed by enve quality and finish to be frank
and yeah internal nipples are slightly faster, but ffs with tubeless it's a mess , make mine external or semi external nipples

between the seatpost finicky adjustement and not light
, stems ( severals roads ones, one aero one , broke one edge at the screws steerer location it broke out after 5 years, a newer one delaminating on the downpart, and the finish issue on the aero one front part, known issues taken in warranty mostly )
the non flat flatmount forks ...

And the rims that have white spots and not the cleanest of the finish
yeah i know they get ouf the mold like that and no refinish
but hey campagnolo and others manage to do that with a proper finish
considering the very expensive ( even for cycling surtaxed cause cyclist prices ) price, enve should do better

i love their ergonomics and design
but damn that's not as clean as it should

good think they have quite good warranty , and crash replacement ( maybe not in europe so good as in the USA )

why do we tolerate such things ?
Having owned two sets of Enve and twice as many of Campy, I agree with you. The rim finish of Campy is top. Even my Light Bicycle rims look better than Enve. Then, the Enve spoke holes are not angled towards the hub spoke holes and the spoke would stress the holes. Again, Campy and LB does it properly. Campy spoke holes are now mounded as well. Why Enve at the price now?

Anyway, it's Roval thread. I hope they implement the lips to hold the beads properly when the tire is deflated.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com