Roval 2020/2021 Road Wheelsets

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Toasterthief

by Toasterthief

For those of you with Roval CL/CLXes, what do you use for a climbing set? I live in Denver, Colorado, and most of my outdoor riding involves climbing in the mountains. I'm finding that the CLs on my Tarmac can pick up some crosswind on the descents. Does anyone have any thoughts on a climbing set to complement the CLs?

Indyx

by Indyx

Toasterthief wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 1:28 pm
For those of you with Roval CL/CLXes, what do you use for a climbing set? I live in Denver, Colorado, and most of my outdoor riding involves climbing in the mountains. I'm finding that the CLs on my Tarmac can pick up some crosswind on the descents. Does anyone have any thoughts on a climbing set to complement the CLs?
I'd get a pair of Alpinist CLXs for climbing. Great wheels. Fast for flats too (suprisngly).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Toasterthief

by Toasterthief

Man, I was hoping you'd say Zipp 353 NSWs! :D

ODC

by ODC

Can someone tell me if it’s normal to have freehub play on the Roval CLX ii rapide wheelset? When feeling on the cassette i can move the freehub vertically. Can’t remember that i had this with my first generation Roval rapide i wheelset.

Indyx

by Indyx

ODC wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 11:09 pm
Can someone tell me if it’s normal to have freehub play on the Roval CLX ii rapide wheelset? When feeling on the cassette i can move the freehub vertically. Can’t remember that i had this with my first generation Roval rapide i wheelset.
Up and down (From the ground?)... Not normal.

ODC

by ODC

Indyx wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 1:10 am
ODC wrote:
When the wheel lay on the ground i can indeed move the freehub up and down.
Or when the wheel is standing normal i can move it left/right.

LOWIEV

by LOWIEV

I know this has been covered several times earlier in this thread, but here it goes:

- my front CLX 1 gen wheel has been warranty replaced by a front CLX gen 2 wheel.
my back wheel remains the CLX gen 1. So i have the combo clx1 back, clx2 front.

Now I am thinking to go tubeless on my next tires.
Front wheel i can go tubeless with no issues. Back wheel i cannot (officialy).

Would you guys do it? I'm thinking that the back wheel has less risks when going tubeless? Or am i wrong.
thanks for your advice :)

macwatt

by macwatt

I have Gen 1 Rapide CLX when I purchased I wasn't aware they weren't tubeless compatible but wasn't overly concerned when they weren't as the only puncture I have previously had was with a tubeless setup.

I'm sure there are thousands running tubeless with Gen 1 but personally with the extra risk of doing so and the additional cost of tubeless tyres for me personally it ain't worth it.

I have used Specialized Turbo Cottons, Michelin Power Cup's and GP 5000 clincher tyres all with latex or TPU with very little if any RR penalty compared to tubeless so certainly don't feel as I'm loosing out.

mika

by mika

Hello, what tubeless tape do you use for Alpinist II and Rapide II? Also which width?
Regards

BikeEatSleepRepeat

by BikeEatSleepRepeat

macwatt wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:27 pm
I have used Specialized Turbo Cottons, Michelin Power Cup's and GP 5000 clincher tyres all with latex or TPU with very little if any RR penalty compared to tubeless so certainly don't feel as I'm loosing out.
Not to hijack the thread, but a quick sidebar if I may- How do you rate the Michelin Power Cup?

I'm a long time GP user and appreciate their longevity, but they are a bit harsh. Tried the Turbo's too... Great ride feel, but lousy longevity for me.

macwatt

by macwatt

BikeEatSleepRepeat wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:32 pm
macwatt wrote:
Not to hijack the thread, but a quick sidebar if I may- How do you rate the Michelin Power Cup?

I'm a long time GP user and appreciate their longevity, but they are a bit harsh. Tried the Turbo's too... Great ride feel, but lousy longevity for me.
I rate them highly 👍

Comfort not quite as supple as Turbo's but not far off much better than GP5000

Wet grip is very good also lost control with GP5000's during a sportive luckily avoided crashing in similar weather not had any issues with the Power Cup's

I've used them for around 1500km wear seems fine no visible damage and no punctures currently using them with TPU tubes.

They measure very similar to Turbo cottons where both measure wider than GP5000's.

Weber

by Weber

Never used michelin power cups but they are designed for TT and I gather they won't be more durable than cotton ones. I also see them because of their weight

macwatt

by macwatt

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... -power-cup

I'm using the Power Cup clincher not using the TT version.

BikeEatSleepRepeat

by BikeEatSleepRepeat

macwatt wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:33 pm
BikeEatSleepRepeat wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:32 pm
macwatt wrote:

I rate them highly 👍

Comfort not quite as supple as Turbo's but not far off much better than GP5000

Wet grip is very good also lost control with GP5000's during a sportive luckily avoided crashing in similar weather not had any issues with the Power Cup's

I've used them for around 1500km wear seems fine no visible damage and no punctures currently using them with TPU tubes.

They measure very similar to Turbo cottons where both measure wider than GP5000's.
Sounds about ideal for me, best of both in many ways.

Good to see Michelin back with a competitive offering to the GP.

Jaisen

by Jaisen

ODC wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 7:56 am
Indyx wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 1:10 am
ODC wrote:
When the wheel lay on the ground i can indeed move the freehub up and down.
Or when the wheel is standing normal i can move it left/right.
Shimano groupset? My Ultegra 12 speed has the same issue on Ultegra wheels. I tried adding a spacer behind the cassette but it still does it. It might be to do with the adhesive ring on the back of the cassette (some people complained of similar issues), or there could be a little play in the free hub body, I'm not sure which. I haven't noticed any issues when under load riding, so I am ignoring it for now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com