Roval 2020/2021 Road Wheelsets

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Indyx

by Indyx

Just a follow up on some weights.

Gen 1 Aplinist CLXs with Ride Now TPU Tubes, Duraace 11-28 cassette, DA rotors, GP 5000s in 25 (26.7 on Rim).

Rear Wheel: 1278 Grams
Front Wheel: 956 Grams
Total: 2234 grams!

2234 Grams for a complete wheelset, on the bike. With rotors these are lighter than a 30mm rim brake Far Sports Carbon Ti wheelset I had a few years ago.

Impressive!

Entire Bike, 2020 Scott Foil RC in 54, 6.4 KG.

I suspect the Roval Rapide CLX I have would be +200 Grams, so 6.6 kg for a semi aero bike with 50/60 mm wheels. Happy with that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ODC

by ODC

Are here person’s who have both wheel sets (Rapide and Alpinist)?
Still in doubt between the alpinist 2 and rapide 2 wheel-set. I could buy the 2 wheel-sets (no discount butt full price) but i find it a little bit overkill there i’m not racing (could you the 3000 euros extra on a new indoor setup from wahoo).
I love the looks of the Rapide 2 but on the other hand i love the way they say that de alpinist are more comfortable (on hard Flanders road and in windy conditions).
So if someone have them both do you feel a difference in comfort and speed between the wheel sets?

Toasterthief

by Toasterthief

Can anyone comment on what tubeless tires they've been able to mount on Gen 1 CL/CLX wheels? It seems like Continental tires may not fit very well. Looking to try tubeless for the first time. Thank you!

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

Toasterthief wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:38 am
Can anyone comment on what tubeless tires they've been able to mount on Gen 1 CL/CLX wheels? It seems like Continental tires may not fit very well. Looking to try tubeless for the first time. Thank you!
GP5000S TR fits them like a glove.

Toasterthief

by Toasterthief

Well that's great news! I thought I read somewhere that they were too tight, but maybe that's changed?

pushpush

by pushpush

Spesh SW Turbo Rapidair 2bliss, Gp5k TR, Schwalbe Pro One TLE all fit for me.

wolflikeme

by wolflikeme

ODC wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:39 pm
Are here person’s who have both wheel sets (Rapide and Alpinist)?
Still in doubt between the alpinist 2 and rapide 2 wheel-set. I could buy the 2 wheel-sets (no discount butt full price) but i find it a little bit overkill there i’m not racing (could you the 3000 euros extra on a new indoor setup from wahoo).
I love the looks of the Rapide 2 but on the other hand i love the way they say that de alpinist are more comfortable (on hard Flanders road and in windy conditions).
So if someone have them both do you feel a difference in comfort and speed between the wheel sets?
I've had both and have been riding the Rapides exclusively for almost two years. No issues with comfort on the Rapides. Personally I hate riding in the wind being a ~65kg rider but if you are okay in the wind I would lean towards the Rapides.

Sworks Tarmac SL8 - 7.09kg
LS Ultimate (7.89kg), Tarmac SL7 (7.56kg), Aethos (7.00kg), Venge (7.59 kg), Roubaix Team (7.53 kg) - Sold

lucianoz

by lucianoz

Can anyone help me?
Is worth it a upgrade from a CLX 50 to a Rapide CL II?
I'm little bit worried about the 100 plus grams from Rapide CL II....

Pukutis

by Pukutis

Just bought roval rapide gen1. Which tyres would you recommend? I want to ride fast. I was thinking on gp5000 -25. Any other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

macwatt

by macwatt

Pukutis wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 6:37 pm
Just bought roval rapide gen1. Which tyres would you recommend? I want to ride fast. I was thinking on gp5000 -25. Any other?

I'm currently using GP5000 28mm clincher tyres on my Roval Rapide Gen 1's they measure 29mm so not much of an aero penalty. I have previously ran Specialized Turbo Cottons & Michelin Power Cup's all felt similarly fast with Latex or TPU tubes 💨 however GP5000's certainly measure truer to stated tyre width opposed to the other two.

LOWIEV

by LOWIEV

macwatt wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 6:19 pm
Pukutis wrote:

I'm currently using GP5000 28mm clincher tyres on my Roval Rapide Gen 1's they measure 29mm so not much of an aero penalty. I have previously ran Specialized Turbo Cottons & Michelin Power Cup's all felt similarly fast with Latex or TPU tubes 💨 however GP5000's certainly measure truer to stated tyre width opposed to the other two.
How about the (wet) grip on the GP5000 clinchers? are they comparable to the Turbo cottons?

macwatt

by macwatt

LOWIEV wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 9:20 am
macwatt wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 6:19 pm
Pukutis wrote:

How about the (wet) grip on the GP5000 clinchers? are they comparable to the Turbo cottons?
I don't ride that often in the wet on the occasions I have the three tyres above were fairly similar for wet weather grip. I recently took part in Lochness Etape Sportive with the GP5000's the weather was wet from start to finish on a fast rolling section I tapped the rear brake on the crest of an incline on a fast rolling section which resulted in a rear wheel skid and bike going sideways but managed to regain control without an incident. I use SRAM tyre pressure calculator for myself this is 59 F & 63 R psi whether the same thing would of happened with Turbo Cotton's it's very difficult to say although I think it was just a case of breaking slightly too hard at the wrong time.

ads

by ads

hey. wanted to ask if anyone knows the weight of the roval rapide CL 1 wheelset? tried to find online and in this thread but no joy...

cheers

macwatt

by macwatt

ads wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 12:53 pm
hey. wanted to ask if anyone knows the weight of the roval rapide CL 1 wheelset? tried to find online and in this thread but no joy...

cheers
This maybe of help from Roadcc website

We did, however, spot a 'Roval Rapide CL' wheelset on the UCI's approved list of wheelsets. Approval was granted on 10.02.2020, at the same time as the already released Rapide CLX, Alpinist CLX and Alpinist CL. This could suggest that a Rapide CL is coming. But there is no indication that it will be tubeless.

Not ones to give up hope so easily, we did a little bit of digging. The weights mentioned on the supposed Rapide CL tubeless product page are 690g/844g. These are specific weights and the spec list says that these figures do not include tubeless tape or valves. We dived into the Roval wheelset range and as far as we can see, no other wheelset has these weight values.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ads

by ads

Ah you legend. Obviously you have much better internet skills than me! Thanks mate

macwatt wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 1:11 pm
ads wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 12:53 pm

cheers
This maybe of help from Roadcc website

We did, however, spot a 'Roval Rapide CL' wheelset on the UCI's approved list of wheelsets. Approval was granted on 10.02.2020, at the same time as the already released Rapide CLX, Alpinist CLX and Alpinist CL. This could suggest that a Rapide CL is coming. But there is no indication that it will be tubeless.

Not ones to give up hope so easily, we did a little bit of digging. The weights mentioned on the supposed Rapide CL tubeless product page are 690g/844g. These are specific weights and the spec list says that these figures do not include tubeless tape or valves. We dived into the Roval wheelset range and as far as we can see, no other wheelset has these weight values.