Roval 2020/2021 Road Wheelsets

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Ytse

by Ytse

Did anyone try the Roval Terra CL as a road wheelset? With 1410g including tubeless tape and tubeless valves, not that heavy at all and the price is pretty reasonable.
2020 Scott Addict RC / 2021 Trek Emonda SLR / 2023 Specialized Tarmac SL8

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CasualRider

by CasualRider

Ytse wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 1:00 pm
Did anyone try the Roval Terra CL as a road wheelset? With 1410g including tubeless tape and tubeless valves, not that heavy at all and the price is pretty reasonable.
I have both CL and CLX. Can't tell the difference. I got CL on sale and I think it's amazing value. FYI both have same RIMs. The difference is spokes and hubs.
Tarmac SL8 Maganta Gold
Crux Green Pearl

Previous bikes:
Crux Forest Green
Tarmac SL7 Snake Eye
Venge Bora Team
Venge Purple
Trek Madone SLR 7

ads

by ads

I don't really care about running tubeless after having a couple of tyres that wouldn't seal. So I'm weighing up the CLX vs CLX2. Can get the CLX on a big discount (-50%). The CLX are lighter and if you run with a TPU tube, are the same weight as tubeless but +\-£1000 cheaper.

It makes total sense to me but please, if I'm missing something please someone talk me out of it...

garbageman

by garbageman

If you definitely don't want to run tubeless it's a no-brainer. Go for the CLX with big discount.

BadBoyR

by BadBoyR

ads wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 7:05 pm
I don't really care about running tubeless after having a couple of tyres that wouldn't seal. So I'm weighing up the CLX vs CLX2. Can get the CLX on a big discount (-50%). The CLX are lighter and if you run with a TPU tube, are the same weight as tubeless but +\-£1000 cheaper.

It makes total sense to me but please, if I'm missing something please someone talk me out of it...
Can you share where from?

ads

by ads

Cheers guys. Have gone for it. Just can't be arsed with the mess of tubeless anymore. Great if it works, absolute ball ache if it doesn't!

I've ordered the Alipinist CLX wheelset and the rear CLX Rapide from Certini, the front CLX Rapide came from Tredz

Ytse

by Ytse

CasualRider wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 5:32 pm
Ytse wrote:
I have both CL and CLX. Can't tell the difference. I got CL on sale and I think it's amazing value. FYI both have same RIMs. The difference is spokes and hubs.
OHow do they behave on the road with road tyres? I'm looking to buy a reasonabl lightweight set to run with 28mm tubeless tyres.

CasualRider

by CasualRider

Ytse wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 11:35 am
CasualRider wrote:
Ytse wrote:
OHow do they behave on the road with road tyres? I'm looking to buy a reasonabl lightweight set to run with 28mm tubeless tyres.
Amazing actually. Light, wide internals allow for lower pressure. 28 conties mensure 30mm same as external width. Higly underrated setup. I almost sold my alpinist wheelset because of this. My favorite training setup. And I have rapides II, alpinist, zipp 303 FC so something to compare with.
Tarmac SL8 Maganta Gold
Crux Green Pearl

Previous bikes:
Crux Forest Green
Tarmac SL7 Snake Eye
Venge Bora Team
Venge Purple
Trek Madone SLR 7

Ytse

by Ytse

CasualRider wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 1:36 am
Ytse wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 11:35 am
CasualRider wrote:
Ytse wrote:
Amazing actually. Light, wide internals allow for lower pressure. 28 conties mensure 30mm same as external width. Higly underrated setup. I almost sold my alpinist wheelset because of this. My favorite training setup. And I have rapides II, alpinist, zipp 303 FC so something to compare with.
303FC would be my other choice. Can you share any insights comparing these two?

CasualRider

by CasualRider

Pretty close but Rovals are better in my opinion. Hubs are better and I love the fact that it's hooked. I had some hard time with firecrest and gravel tires, not road though. Currently, Rovals (CL) are cheaper lighter and better hubs. Just sold my FC because of it.
Tarmac SL8 Maganta Gold
Crux Green Pearl

Previous bikes:
Crux Forest Green
Tarmac SL7 Snake Eye
Venge Bora Team
Venge Purple
Trek Madone SLR 7

Ytse

by Ytse

CasualRider wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 1:43 am
Pretty close but Rovals are better in my opinion. Hubs are better and I love the fact that it's hooked. I had some hard time with firecrest and gravel tires, not road though. Currently, Rovals (CL) are cheaper lighter and better hubs. Just sold my FC because of it.
Any difference in aero you feel?

ads

by ads

this may have been covered earlier in thread but just in case it hasn't...

just had confirmation from Spesh that the Roval Rapide CLX (Gen 1) and Roval Alpinist CLX (Gen 1) do not have cermaic bearings.

in case that's useful to anyone (was to me as meant i didn't need the cermaic version of the xdr freehub conversion)

CasualRider

by CasualRider

Ytse wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 12:29 pm
CasualRider wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 1:43 am
Any difference in aero you feel?
No diffference with road or gravel tires. But I do think Rovals aare a bit comfier.
Tarmac SL8 Maganta Gold
Crux Green Pearl

Previous bikes:
Crux Forest Green
Tarmac SL7 Snake Eye
Venge Bora Team
Venge Purple
Trek Madone SLR 7

Indyx

by Indyx

Just picked up a set of Roval Rapid CLX 64s (used- but basically brand new), as I love my Rapides CLXs, and Alpinist. Running them with a TPU tube, the are the best wheels I've own (Farsport, Enve, Reynolds, Zipp).

The Rovals are the best of all worlds. DT swiss internals, Roval external hub design, wide light rim, DT swiss spokes. All my favorite bits.

The Rapides, and Aplinist (Gen I), both have Ratchet LN, and non ceramic bearings. The CLX 64 have the old school DT swiss ratchet + Ceramic Speed Bearings.

Interesting to see how much the Roval Rapides are compared to the CLX 64s. Specialized really tried to lighten the wheels.

BudhaNL

by BudhaNL

Very happy with the CL50s on my Venge Pro 2019, but there's a little voice in my head that keeps me looking for heavily discounted and almost-new 1st-gen CLX Rapides: lower weight, more aero. Which would probably set me back a good €800-1000 after selling the CL50s. Surely not a wide decision, right ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com