Roval 2020/2021 Road Wheelsets

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
paulbike

by paulbike

Just want to add a datapoint here in case anyone comes searching ...

I bought a set of Rapide CLX II wheels a few months ago and had to retape them both as they were losing 20+ psi in less than 24 hours. At one point the rear wheel would be completely deflated from 70 psi in a matter of hours.

I taped with Muc Off 21mm tape and they've been rock solid ever since. They barely lose 2-3 psi in 24 hours now.

One thing I like about the Muc Off tape is you can very clearly see air bubbles.

pushpush

by pushpush

What is the current feeling about Rapide CLX1 vs CLX2 vs the competition? Are these still the (or one of the) benchmark wheelsets to have?

I have been riding enve 4.5. I'm tired of their sketchy behavior at high speed in gusting winds. That is a whole topic in itself, but for now it doesn't matter.

I pulled the RapideCLX1 set I have had in my attic down and have been riding those as a test. They are MUCH MUCH MUCH more stable than the Enve4.5 in the same conditions with same tires. Despite their similar depths, there are some notable differences between them.

So the question is do I just keep riding the CLX1, or swap for CLX2? I am a tubeless guy and have no desire to ever deal with another tube. I know lots of people run CLX1 tubeless despite the drama surrounding it. Are the CLX2 compelling enough to make the jump? I do prefer the wider/lower pressure of the Enve set, but I value stability more than comfort. Am I being dumb? Should I just run the CLX1 and forget about it?

Is there something else worth considering?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

macwatt

by macwatt

pushpush wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:46 pm
What is the current feeling about Rapide CLX1 vs CLX2 vs the competition? Are these still the (or one of the) benchmark wheelsets to have?

I have been riding enve 4.5. I'm tired of their sketchy behavior at high speed in gusting winds. That is a whole topic in itself, but for now it doesn't matter.

I pulled the RapideCLX1 set I have had in my attic down and have been riding those as a test. They are MUCH MUCH MUCH more stable than the Enve4.5 in the same conditions with same tires. Despite their similar depths, there are some notable differences between them.

So the question is do I just keep riding the CLX1, or swap for CLX2? I am a tubeless guy and have no desire to ever deal with another tube. I know lots of people run CLX1 tubeless despite the drama surrounding it. Are the CLX2 compelling enough to make the jump? I do prefer the wider/lower pressure of the Enve set, but I value stability more than comfort. Am I being dumb? Should I just run the CLX1 and forget about it?

Is there something else worth considering?
If you read this topic these are popular due to the weight and performance.

viewtopic.php?f=132&t=172996&view=unread#unread

Another option would be Reserve 52/63 which are reportedly very good in crosswinds.

pushpush

by pushpush

Thank you for the suggestions. I've been eyeing the CRW but am hesitant about the hubs.

macwatt

by macwatt

pushpush wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:17 pm
Thank you for the suggestions. I've been eyeing the CRW but am hesitant about the hubs.
I've CLX 1 as a light rider I think they are superb in crosswinds compared to previous wheelsets I've owned no real interest in tubeless I wouldnt purchase CLX 2's unless they were discounted would not be surprised if Roval release a new wheelset fairly soon. The other wheelset I forgot to mention and I would consider would be Bontrager Aeolus RSL which also is very good in crosswinds.

refthimos

by refthimos

Been running my CLX1s tubeless from the day I got them in May 2021 and no issues. I wouldn't run them any other way.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

LOWIEV

by LOWIEV

macwatt wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:42 pm
pushpush wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:17 pm
I've CLX 1 as a light rider I think they are superb in crosswinds compared to previous wheelsets I've owned no real interest in tubeless I wouldnt purchase CLX 2's unless they were discounted would not be surprised if Roval release a new wheelset fairly soon. The other wheelset I forgot to mention and I would consider would be Bontrager Aeolus RSL which also is very good in crosswinds.
Anyone more news on new Roval-wheels?
I've just cracked mine in a crash, and i would buy the same set (rapides clx) again, but if something new was around the cornerd, i'd wait a bit :)

Sleeprequired

by Sleeprequired

Ok so i've owned Lighbicycle rims and roval clx and honestly the LB seem faster. The super wide rims being widest in the middle of the profile and a good 20% wider than the tyre just doesn't add up aerodynamically. I do like them in a crosswind though.

We know hambini has data on wheels - https://www.hambini.com/bicycle-wheel-p ... ta-30km-h/

has anyone had experience with winspace hyper vs roval rapides, or does anyone have actual testing data on the rapides to see how they stack up against winspace etc. Wish Hambini had tested roval rapides

macwatt

by macwatt

This is the only data I have with reference to wheelsets
IMG_5393.jpeg

Sleeprequired

by Sleeprequired

macwatt wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:29 am
This is the only data I have with reference to wheelsets

IMG_5393.jpeg
Having owned the roval CLX I can confirm the front rim needs to be stiffer. It moves around a bit.

Has anyone owned both the clx and the CLX II? Wondering if that front wheel is more stiff?

mtwinste

by mtwinste

tommyboyo wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:30 pm
Does anyone else have spokes that sound like a rusty bed spring on their Alpinist wheels?

Just trying to figure out if I have a problem or not.

It's a terrible sound and the greasing the spokes cross point does not even quieten them.

I find it embarrasing to ride the bike sometimes.
Yes I had to sell 3 sets of ROVAL wheels for this issue and binding bearings from poor tolerances on hub shell internals

sheldonsmith

by sheldonsmith

mtwinste wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:18 pm
tommyboyo wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:30 pm
Does anyone else have spokes that sound like a rusty bed spring on their Alpinist wheels?

Just trying to figure out if I have a problem or not.

It's a terrible sound and the greasing the spokes cross point does not even quieten them.

I find it embarrasing to ride the bike sometimes.
Yes I had to sell 3 sets of ROVAL wheels for this issue and binding bearings from poor tolerances on hub shell internals
My 2019 Roval CLX rear wheel pings, but grease on the spoke xings, and some oil on the spoke nipples (between the rim and the nipple) seems to do the trick. There is some binding in the front hub (feels tight), but reseating the bearings such that they are not fully pressed into the hub shell seems to fix the issue. The rear hub bearings are solid, but from what I understand from DT is that DT supplies the rear hub internals, but not the front hub. Front hub internals are entirely Spech/Roval.

Toasterthief

by Toasterthief

For those of you running the CL/CLX Gen 1s tubeless, any particular rim tape/tires that work well? Still trying to figure out if I want to deal with the "risk" or not, although it seems like plenty of people are running them this way.

666pounder

by 666pounder

Hello, I can get Roval Rapide 50 CLX I (white decals) rear wheel for a really good price (50% discount, completly new from the local shop). The problem is, I am unable to find the front wheel anywhere on the intener. One soultion would be to buy CLX II version of the front wheel, from my understanding, it looks the same, the only difference is, that is a slightly hevier and (officialy) supports tubeless tires. But I would still prefer to match the front and back wheel, so If you happen to know about the place where I could find a front wheel in the same white decals desing somewhere in Europe, please let me know. Thanks.

pushpush

by pushpush

Toasterthief wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:09 pm
For those of you running the CL/CLX Gen 1s tubeless, any particular rim tape/tires that work well? Still trying to figure out if I want to deal with the "risk" or not, although it seems like plenty of people are running them this way.
I had no trouble with the S-supplied Roval branded tape or the 3M tape I use. Nothing special.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com