Roval 2020/2021 Road Wheelsets

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
frostorama

by frostorama

5000+ km into riding a set of Alpinist CLX wheels with S-Works Turbo Cottons and latex tubes. Wheels have been completely issue free in that time on UK roads throughout summer into winter. Only had to remove the brake disk once to check if they were part of the DT Swiss recall (they were not).

The wheels feel lovely to ride, quick to accelerate, stiff under heavy loads and have remained true with no adjustments required.

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

mikedtn wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:19 am
pmprego wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:55 am
mikedtn wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:51 am
Noticed Alpinist CLX (outgoing version) are heavily discounted at the moment, up to 46% off retail. Wondering if they're worth purchasing for a future build at that price. I can't find many genuine user reviews online, can any owners share their thoughts on this wheelset?
Where are you getting that price???
https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Roval/ ... elset/QAGL

UK based, difficult to know if it's the bargain it seems, or a lot of the price originally came from the wheelset having the Roval name. That's why I'm trying to find some genuine reviews
It's a very good price, I picked up a second set the other day in fact.

You will not find better wheels at that price assuming they suit your needs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PasxosC

by PasxosC

….it’s (almost) official….new CLX II family….tubeless ready 🙄
Attachments
F0344D91-EFFD-4B58-A579-D4BF6A82ABA3.png
1575604F-18A2-47FE-AA91-3BD662DF498E.png

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

1520g for the Rapide?
Does led improve tubeless-ability?
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

Since everything is the same but the weight is something like 50-55g per wheel more (after accounting for the tubeless valves), this must all be reinforcement of the rims. Quite a lot of weight, that!

And since there are so many people using Rapide I as tubeless regardless of specs without any reports of failures that I know of... why???

TLN

by TLN

pmprego wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:38 pm
e4rthm0ver wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:10 pm
I’m actually looking forward to official tubeless version. I’ve seen reports of people running current wheels tubeless without issues but big part of paying extra for Roval or other big brands for me is warranty policy + local dealers who will take care of that.
And I suspect them finding any remains of sealant in “non-supported” wheel could void the warranty

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk
Yes, of course. I share your approach. I'm just saying that roval won't admit any mistake with current wheels and just put some untestable claims out there saying these are the best wheels ever.
Yeah, I got Tarmac SL5 with SCS disc wheels. Want to use any other wheels - gotta adjust rear deraileur. Want to use that wheels somewhere else - no luck.
Asked Spesh about it, they said smh like: well, you got CLX40 and you can buy CLX64 wheels, that should be enough for you

Speaking of upcoming wheels: 35mm wide with 21 internal seems small. I see plenty of wheels with 23ID or even right now.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

pmprego

by pmprego

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 3:29 pm
Since everything is the same but the weight is something like 50-55g per wheel more (after accounting for the tubeless valves), this must all be reinforcement of the rims. Quite a lot of weight, that!

And since there are so many people using Rapide I as tubeless regardless of specs without any reports of failures that I know of... why???
And supposedly they upgraded the hub which is lighter on the 180 dtswiss config.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

They are officially launched:
https://granfondo-cycling.com/tubeless- ... inist-clx/
https://cyclingtips.com/2022/05/roval-r ... -tubeless/

The Alpinist has lighter hubs with fewer teeth to hold the disc rotors in place (the rim weight afficionados will hate this).
Also, no sign of the "Turbo Cotton 2Bliss"

Interestingly enough, Specialized claim the new wheels are 3.5W faster because of faster rolling resistance.
I'd really be interested to know which tires they are referring to.
The Turbo Cotton with Latex tubes is THE FASTEST road tire I know of, only beaten out by TT focused tires such as Michelin Power TT and Vittoria C-S.
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

jlok

by jlok

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 5:06 pm
They are officially launched:
https://granfondo-cycling.com/tubeless- ... inist-clx/

The Alpinist has lighter hubs with fewer teeth to hold the disc rotors in place (the rim weight afficionados will hate this).
Also, no sign of the "Turbo Cotton 2Bliss"

Interestingly enough, Specialized claim the new wheels are 3.5W faster because of faster rolling resistance.
I'd really be interested to know which tires they are referring to.
The Turbo Cotton with Latex tubes is THE FASTEST road tire I know of, only beaten out by TT focused tires such as Michelin Power TT and Vittoria C-S.
It means that the last version was "wrong" or rushed. With the added weight and the fact that many people are running the last version tubeless, I wonder who'd rate the current one higher.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

pmprego

by pmprego

"The total weight has increased somewhat as a result, though it’s said that this is compensated for by the reduced rolling resistance of tubeless wheels." - ah ah ah

This is the marketing spin I was expecting. Sooooo goood!!

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

pmprego wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 5:31 pm
"The total weight has increased somewhat as a result, though it’s said that this is compensated for by the reduced rolling resistance of tubeless wheels." - ah ah ah

I am by no means a fan of added weight and I do not agree that tubeless inherently rolls faster (as aforementioned), but in reality, 100g added, in a super light 70kg system, on a 10% gradient, at 400W, is sub 0.5W of "power wasted".
No that big of a deal really.
But I know which Forum this is...
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

pmprego

by pmprego

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 5:41 pm
pmprego wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 5:31 pm

I am by no means a fan of added weight and I do not agree that tubeless inherently rolls faster (as aforementioned), but in reality, 100g added, in a super light 70kg system, on a 10% gradient, at 400W, is sub 0.5W of "power wasted".
No that big of a deal really.
But I know which Forum this is...
I'm just arguing about the marketing spin. With the v1 weight was a priority and tubeless was still not there. With v2, weight is not important and tubeless is "there" - even though no new tubeless was presented by them.

jimja

by jimja

I think this article on CyclingTips answers the question based on information from Specialized themselves as to what happened with the first generation.

Basically, the wheels are all tested with tubes rather than tubeless. It appears that with certain impact scenarios run tubeless, the wheels can undergo a catastrophic failure through the sidewall. The tube provides just enough additional protection against the catastrophic failure that the recommendation was made to use them until they could redesign the wheels to fail at the spoke rather than the sidewall to allow the rider to stop safely.

Since it seems industry wide to do testing with tubes inside, Specialized reports sending the information out and recommending that manufacturers test their tubeless wheels tubeless. Apparently they tested wheels from some other manufacturers as well and notified if there were similar failures. Would be interesting to know if those manufacturers will put out a notice on their exisiting wheels.

jlok

by jlok

jimja wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 5:47 pm
I think this article on CyclingTips answers the question based on information from Specialized themselves as to what happened with the first generation.

Basically, the wheels are all tested with tubes rather than tubeless. It appears that with certain impact scenarios run tubeless, the wheels can undergo a catastrophic failure through the sidewall. The tube provides just enough additional protection against the catastrophic failure that the recommendation was made to use them until they could redesign the wheels to fail at the spoke rather than the sidewall to allow the rider to stop safely.

Since it seems industry wide to do testing with tubes inside, Specialized reports sending the information out and recommending that manufacturers test their tubeless wheels tubeless. Apparently they tested wheels from some other manufacturers as well and notified if there were similar failures. Would be interesting to know if those manufacturers will put out a notice on their exisiting wheels.
It is unbelieveable. The two gens before the CLX 32/50 was tubeless ready and then the last gen suddenly didn't test with the proper tubeless protocol? And then now they do tubeless right? People who believe it are most likely the victims of the great speshy marketing. What a wonderful world. And if any mfg is this careless, their expertise is highly questionable.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

So glad I got my second set of Alpinists the other day for £1300.

£2500 for the new ones.

Hmmm....