FARSPORTS DISC CARBON WHEELSET Test & Review

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
goodboyr

by goodboyr

My hookless Farsport have no spoke holes

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Matte86

by Matte86

goodboyr wrote:My hookless Farsport have no spoke holes

I enquired about that and they told me at the moment they only offer rims with holes..

DHG01

by DHG01

Matte86 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:07 am

I enquired about that and they told me at the moment they only offer rims with holes..
They have been offering them since summer. Mine should be arriving in a week (though doubts arised in this forum!). But I think availability has been restricted during a few months.

One thing to bear in mind is that prices have actually slightly gone down/stable since summer. No hole rim seem more expensive to lace.

Matte86

by Matte86

DHG01 wrote:
Matte86 wrote:

They have been offering them since summer. Mine should be arriving in a week (though doubts arised in this forum!). But I think availability has been restricted during a few months.

One thing to bear in mind is that prices have actually slightly gone down/stable since summer. No hole rim seem more expensive to lace.
So you were able to order a wheelset with carbon spokes with no holes.. and as I just asked them and they said it was not possible.. could it be that I inquired about hooked rims vs hookless? As I didn’t mention I was in a hurry to get them
Are nipples outside so they could be tensioned?
Did you asked through wheelfar?
Thanks

DHG01

by DHG01

Matte86 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:15 pm
DHG01 wrote:
Matte86 wrote:

So you were able to order a wheelset with carbon spokes with no holes.. and as I just asked them and they said it was not possible.. could it be that I inquired about hooked rims vs hookless? As I didn’t mention I was in a hurry to get them
Thanks

I didn't mention any hurry. I did ask hooked and no holes on the rim. Yes; the nipples are a bit longer and can be tensioned from the outside.

I had a chat during summer; recent revival and they asked me to order through AliExpress.

toxin

by toxin

which hubs though?

DHG01

by DHG01

toxin wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:51 pm
which hubs though?
You ve raised a few questions; curious why. The hub is is their RD270/20 spokes (I shared the pic).

I ve seen a few misleading thoughts in this thread; lacing and hubs are related, but opposite sides. So curious to see what is in the box and hoping it matches specs from Farsports: 45 depth, 20 carbon spokes, RD270 hubs, no holes in the rim, hooked, 28 mm external width.

Matte86

by Matte86

DHG01 wrote:
Matte86 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:15 pm
DHG01 wrote:
Matte86 wrote:

Thanks

I didn't mention any hurry. I did ask hooked and no holes on the rim. Yes; the nipples are a bit longer and can be tensioned from the outside.

I had a chat during summer; recent revival and they asked me to order through AliExpress.
Thanks for your reply
I honestly don’t understand why they told me it’s not possible
I wanted to order the same exact setup as you did..
Maybe because I order though wheelfar?

toxin

by toxin

we haven't had a concrete answer yet, usually the part of the spoke that threads into the nipple has to be too big for both it and the nipple to fit through the nipple hole, I don't have any illustrations on hand but peak torque explains the design in the vid below, so I'm really curious how theyre doing this no-hole design. I could imagine it being a combinaton of taperlock at the hub and bonded into a conventional style threaded metal spoke end like the ones used with off-the-shelf hubs. In that case I would rather take the internal nipples and suck it up if I have to adjust anything

DHG01

by DHG01

toxin wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:57 pm
we haven't had a concrete answer yet, usually the part of the spoke that threads into the nipple has to be too big for both it and the nipple to fit through the nipple hole, I don't have any illustrations on hand but peak torque explains the design in the vid below, so I'm really curious how theyre doing this no-hole design. I could imagine it being a combinaton of taperlock at the hub and bonded into a conventional style threaded metal spoke end like the ones used with off-the-shelf hubs. In that case I would rather take the internal nipples and suck it up if I have to adjust anything

Not sure I follow. I ll watch the video later. I haven't has much experience with clinchers im the past 15 years. On my tubular rims, some require trueing the wheel from the rim bed (and removing the tubular) - eg Enve, Schmolke, others, can be done via the nipples on the outside (Shimano); the latter less aero, more practical.

timmerrr

by timmerrr

Just received my 45mm deep, 30/24mm ext/int wheels with carbon spokes and RD270s. I have 2 sets of LB AR56 wheels with steel spokes and a set of Feder 35s with the RD230 hub for comparison. This things are feel crazy fast while surging. They spin up really nicely and are for sure stiff. Also, I have been on vittoria corsa pro tires lately on my AR56s and forgot just how good feeling of a tire the turbo cotton is. the 26mm verson makes a perfect transition with the 30/24mm rim (I had them laying around and am waiting on a set of Challenge Criterium RS).
State Bicycle Co. Undefeated: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=171358

4le91

by 4le91

toxin wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:57 pm

I'll share a picture when mine comes. They should look like identical to the super team I posted in the previous page. Very big nipple getting out of the rim for truing and same rd270 plus same spokes (tapered on both ends)

Matte86

by Matte86

With a 24IW, even if hooked, people are mounting 25/26c tyres?
It’s this frenzy about blow outs that make me think a 3mm is the starting point?

toxin

by toxin

Matte86 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:04 pm
With a 24IW, even if hooked, people are mounting 25/26c tyres?
It’s this frenzy about blow outs that make me think a 3mm is the starting point?
If it's a 26c tyre, (especially older) it's likely that's labeled for 20mm internal or less. On 24 internal it'll blow up to 28ish or more.

F.e. current michelin power cups are measured and made for 19mm internal I believe

DHG01

by DHG01

Repeat

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com