FARSPORTS DISC CARBON WHEELSET Test & Review

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Agent041

by Agent041

PedaleurPat wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 9:21 pm
Hi guys! Would love to try out farsports wheels but can't really find what I am searching for.
Does anyone know if there is a model which fulfills following requirements:

- depth: front min. 50mm / rear min. 55mm
- external width: min 30mm (want my GP5000S TR TT to fit perfectly)
- NOT hookless
- total weight about 1350g
- bonus (not a must): carbon spokes

The Carbon spoke build would fit me perfectly but they are all hookless..

Thanks
You can easely choose your desire setup:
https://www.wheelsfar.com/carbon-spokes ... p0182.html
link with carbon spokes and their RD270
all hooked
You have max 58mm deep and 24int./30ext rim.
You can also specify in the comment in the last step before payment, if you want perhaps rear 58, front 50, or whatever.

and now you also have a coupon you can use: FAR-OFF-50

pushpush

by pushpush

I couldnt find what I wanted on their site either. I emailed them and they put together what I wanted. It was a very easy process.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tiz92

by tiz92

I have an issue with my newest wheelset with RD270 hub. The freehub is sticky/ not spinning freely when I tighten the thru axle (Tarmac Sl7). Its actually my third wheelset with this hub and it happens only with this one. Any ideas? I already pulled the hub appart but didnt find anything.

EINSTEININHO

by EINSTEININHO

tiz92 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 7:13 pm
I have an issue with my newest wheelset with RD270 hub. The freehub is sticky/ not spinning freely when I tighten the thru axle (Tarmac Sl7). Its actually my third wheelset with this hub and it happens only with this one. Any ideas? I already pulled the hub appart but didnt find anything.
Huh I was about to order my 45mm/RD270 wheelsets and I'm a bit worried now. Are they still under warranty? I'd be curious to know what wheelsfar offers you to solve this problem if so.

Agent041

by Agent041

EINSTEININHO wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 7:54 pm
Huh I was about to order my 45mm/RD270 wheelsets and I'm a bit worried now. Are they still under warranty? I'd be curious to know what wheelsfar offers you to solve this problem if so.
I have 3 of their wheelsets and had no problems with them at all. Latest received couple of weeks ago. So it must be one of. As for customer service, they are excellent. Replied on my questions in the same day, and they are in different time zone. So would not worry about that. If anything would be wrong, they would send you a replacement spare part. It would take a week or two to arrive, but that is a small price to pay, when you consider the quality and the price you pay. And is a very very small chance that something even goes wrong.

Matte86

by Matte86

I haven’t posted anything yet on the new wheelset (40/45 - 24/30 21/28) as I’m waiting the delivery of GP5000 TTs in order to give a full post with VAM etc.
Nevertheless I’m a bit worried about the (apparent) increase of issues people are facing with their latest shippings, did they try to speed up the production to cope with the increased demand and resulted in a less quality / QC?
At a first look both wheels seem fine, but it looks problems came when and after being installed
Let’s hope everything works

Jaisen

by Jaisen

Matte86 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 6:08 am
I haven’t posted anything yet on the new wheelset (40/45 - 24/30 21/28) as I’m waiting the delivery of GP5000 TTs in order to give a full post with VAM etc.
Nevertheless I’m a bit worried about the (apparent) increase of issues people are facing with their latest shippings, did they try to speed up the production to cope with the increased demand and resulted in a less quality / QC?
At a first look both wheels seem fine, but it looks problems came when and after being installed
Let’s hope everything works
I can't speak to the in house hubs, but I just received my Kaze series wheels with DT Swiss hubs and I am really impressed. The wheels are immaculate and the finishing of every part of the wheels is top notch. I'll have to wait and see how they hold up over time.

One nice touch that I really appreciated, Farsports put a really low value on the wheels on the shipping slit so my duties & taxes were very minimal importing to Canada.

tiz92

by tiz92

their customer support is extremely fast and we are trying to solve the issue. I actually never had issues with Farsports and I have had 6 wheelsets of them. I wouldnt worry to much. those are things which can and will happen also with big manufacturers. Nevertheless I will keep you updated.

cflima

by cflima

Updating my review on the Farsports Hyper (45 depth, 24/30 hooked rim, carbon spokes and RD270 hub). Ordered via Aliexpress after having read the good reviews here and watching the manufacturing video from China Cycling. Ordered on 26-Mar, they were shipped on 16-Apr and received in the UK on 23-Apr.

Box had some exterior damage, but it was very well packaged inside (wheels side by side with enough room to absorb pressure) so wheels were in perfect condition. Out of the box the wheels looked really well finished (glossy finish) and doing the eye test the wheels looked round and true (front wheel not totally but within 1mm tolerance I reckon). They also came with spare spokes as requested which was a welcome addition.

Measured weight was 1,220g including rim tape, so not that far from the specified weight. Setup of GP5000 clincher 28mm was super easy by hand, which was welcome for a 24mm inner rim width.

The challenge came with installing the Ultegra cassette. Upon inspection I noticed that the freehub body was marked from the cassette in some parts but not others, which upon on closer inspection it seems where the larger cog sits on is larger on some parts than others. This leads to the cassette not sitting entirely flush with the freehub body and being positioned at a slight angle instead.

I have raised this with Angela on Whatsapp and after 2.5 weeks of waiting they shipped a new freehub last Friday. I was told their response was delayed because people were at the Shanghai bike show and there were Chinese Bank holidays too. However, they have shipped with FedEx for faster delivery and arrived in the UK within 3 working days!

New hub is perfectly fine and was able to install the cassette without issues this time! The freehub body feels fairly light (44g) and time will tell how it resists to cassette bites etc. Have test ride it for 1h only so far (too busy!) and they seem good and feel the 300g lighter that they are vs previous wheelset.

Overall a happy customer with a wheelset of great spec at this price point. Had to deal with the freehub body replacement before even being able to ride (which can be a bit of a bummer for some) but that was fairly simple and the team had no problem in sending me one.

Have followed the recommendation here on the forum of buying a DT SWiss 350 freehub body for future replacement if needed. This is only 20g heavier than the original (64g vs 44g).

tyoac

by tyoac

tyoac wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 9:59 pm
Could you maybe point me in the right direction then for the correct springs and ratchets? I don't want to order the wrong stuff. Thanks!
If I may come back to the DT Swiss replacement springs, freehubs and ratchets once again:
Would these be the correct ones?
Springs: https://www.bike-components.de/de/DT-Sw ... -TD-p7968/
Freehub: https://www.bike-components.de/de/DT-Sw ... em-p33295/

Thanks for your help, I'm a complete newb when it comes to freehubs or even wheels in general it seems like :D

I reached out to Farsports in the meantime as well, a fix to get a wobbling cassette running true again was proposed to me however that's not the issue I've got. They'd still send me replacement parts nevertheless but I told them I'd check what has been suggested here first before taking this next step.

EINSTEININHO

by EINSTEININHO

tyoac wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 8:48 pm
tyoac wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 9:59 pm
Could you maybe point me in the right direction then for the correct springs and ratchets? I don't want to order the wrong stuff. Thanks!
If I may come back to the DT Swiss replacement springs, freehubs and ratchets once again:
Would these be the correct ones?
Springs: https://www.bike-components.de/de/DT-Sw ... -TD-p7968/
Freehub: https://www.bike-components.de/de/DT-Sw ... em-p33295/

Thanks for your help, I'm a complete newb when it comes to freehubs or even wheels in general it seems like :D

I reached out to Farsports in the meantime as well, a fix to get a wobbling cassette running true again was proposed to me however that's not the issue I've got. They'd still send me replacement parts nevertheless but I told them I'd check what has been suggested here first before taking this next step.
I think the freehub body would work however the cap is for 5 x 130mm axle.
https://www.dtswiss.com/fr/support/supp ... R24SA3474S You can check in the "moyeux" section and it seems the freehub reference is this one HWYABL00S5708S .

tyoac

by tyoac

Thanks for pointing that out, I actually wanted to raise this question as well and then forgot :) Very weird that this part is not available then at Bike-Components but okay.
Would the cap be interchangeable maybe? Say with the one that came on the Farsports wheels?

RobinDuraAce

by RobinDuraAce

Hi Guys
Today I got the mail, that my wheels are shipped now. Got the 58mm (30/24) with the RD270 and Carbon spokes. Was in stock and I finalized the order on Wednesday. Weight should be around 1300 with tubelesstap.
Was looking for no holes in the rim, but would take at least 20 days longer and the weight saving from tubeless tape maybe 10 grams I think. Also easier to fix it, if something happens.

Ordered with the 54T Ratchet but did not find something on YouTube for the free hub sound. So if any of you can post a link/video of the free hub, this would be very nice.
I maybe upgrade to the 60T from Ali Express

Will give some updates when I receive the wheels, shipping around 20 days to Germany with Tax Prepaid.

openwheelracing

by openwheelracing

I think it is easier to fix without holes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LRB23

by LRB23

Finally got out on the road with my 40mm 24INT/30EXT this weeks. I’ve only managed to clock up around 50ks.

Initial thoughts:
I took the bike for a quick 7k loop to check everything was ok. Instantly experienced the freehub slipping as others have mentioned, when climbing up a steep, short climb (25%). I was concerned this was off to a bad start. On the second ride I rode steady for the first 20ks and then eased in some short burst sprints and finished on the same 25% incline. Thankfully no more slippage issues. Hoping this was just the hub bedding.

The wheels felt very stiff. I couldn’t detect any brake rub or signs of flex. Granted my legs don’t put out much over 1000w on sprints but compared to my Mavic Cosmics, these were night and day different.
In terms of compliance, set up tubeless with 28mm GP5000, I didn’t notice any harshness. I’m fortunate my local roads and very smooth. They didn’t feel as fast as my 65’s, which I was expecting but hopefully these won’t be far off.

I’m already thinking of getting a deeper set. Torn between going for the CRW’s or sticking with the Far Sports. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk