FARSPORTS DISC CARBON WHEELSET Test & Review

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Agent041

by Agent041

LRB23 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 1:52 pm
Finally got out on the road with my 40mm 24INT/30EXT this weeks. I’ve only managed to clock up around 50ks.

Initial thoughts:
I took the bike for a quick 7k loop to check everything was ok. Instantly experienced the freehub slipping as others have mentioned, when climbing up a steep, short climb (25%). I was concerned this was off to a bad start. On the second ride I rode steady for the first 20ks and then eased in some short burst sprints and finished on the same 25% incline. Thankfully no more slippage issues. Hoping this was just the hub bedding.

The wheels felt very stiff. I couldn’t detect any brake rub or signs of flex. Granted my legs don’t put out much over 1000w on sprints but compared to my Mavic Cosmics, these were night and day different.
In terms of compliance, set up tubeless with 28mm GP5000, I didn’t notice any harshness. I’m fortunate my local roads and very smooth. They didn’t feel as fast as my 65’s, which I was expecting but hopefully these won’t be far off.

I’m already thinking of getting a deeper set. Torn between going for the CRW’s or sticking with the Far Sports. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Also have 40mm, 24/30 for about a month now. Mine were superb from the start. Will definatelly get another (deeper) set. Although I must admit, have also consider CRW. And keeping close eye on that WW topic.

In my opinion, Farsport is still better option than CRW. Not only regarding the price. The rear wheel is wider so more comfort, and no aero penalty. Also some CRW reviews say that in case of puncture, the tyre knows to unbead itself (from the rim sidewall to the center and not completly of the rim). So if having puncture on the road it can be more problematic to get it get it to sit correctly on the rim sedewall. This alone is a no-go for me. Also reports on sidewind affect is way worse on CRW. On Farsport is low affect

Wheelfar discount coupon: FAR-OFF-50

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

by 208

Farsports for sure!

LRB23

by LRB23

Agent041 wrote:
LRB23 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 1:52 pm
Finally got out on the road with my 40mm 24INT/30EXT this weeks. I’ve only managed to clock up around 50ks.

Initial thoughts:
I took the bike for a quick 7k loop to check everything was ok. Instantly experienced the freehub slipping as others have mentioned, when climbing up a steep, short climb (25%). I was concerned this was off to a bad start. On the second ride I rode steady for the first 20ks and then eased in some short burst sprints and finished on the same 25% incline. Thankfully no more slippage issues. Hoping this was just the hub bedding.

The wheels felt very stiff. I couldn’t detect any brake rub or signs of flex. Granted my legs don’t put out much over 1000w on sprints but compared to my Mavic Cosmics, these were night and day different.
In terms of compliance, set up tubeless with 28mm GP5000, I didn’t notice any harshness. I’m fortunate my local roads and very smooth. They didn’t feel as fast as my 65’s, which I was expecting but hopefully these won’t be far off.

I’m already thinking of getting a deeper set. Torn between going for the CRW’s or sticking with the Far Sports. Image

Also have 40mm, 24/30 for about a month now. Mine were superb from the start. Will definatelly get another (deeper) set. Although I must admit, have also consider CRW. And keeping close eye on that WW topic.

In my opinion, Farsport is still better option than CRW. Not only regarding the price. The rear wheel is wider so more comfort, and no aero penalty. Also some CRW reviews say that in case of puncture, the tyre knows to unbead itself (from the rim sidewall to the center and not completly of the rim). So if having puncture on the road it can be more problematic to get it get it to sit correctly on the rim sedewall. This alone is a no-go for me. Also reports on sidewind affect is way worse on CRW. On Farsport is low affect

Wheelfar discount coupon: FAR-OFF-50
I’ve literally just posted a comment in the CRW forum trying to get any comparisons on Far Sports vs CRW. I too have been watching the forum closely. I’ve already purchased a number of items from Panda Podium and trust Joe’s word when it comes to products.

However like you I’m trying to understand if the additional cost will be worth it. I’ve noticed the maximum depth with the RD270 hubs and carbon spokes is only 50mm. I’m looking at 55mm minimum up to 65mm.

BalticSea

by BalticSea

Maximum depth for Hyper rims is 58mm. I hope they'll release 60+ option in the future
Attachments
1000001460.jpg
Last edited by BalticSea on Thu May 30, 2024 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Agent041

by Agent041

LRB23 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 10:00 am
I’ve literally just posted a comment in the CRW forum trying to get any comparisons on Far Sports vs CRW. I too have been watching the forum closely. I’ve already purchased a number of items from Panda Podium and trust Joe’s word when it comes to products.

However like you I’m trying to understand if the additional cost will be worth it. I’ve noticed the maximum depth with the RD270 hubs and carbon spokes is only 50mm. I’m looking at 55mm minimum up to 65mm.

You have 58mm with RD270 as well:
https://www.wheelsfar.com/carbon-spokes ... p0182.html

If for something the CRW would be better, than maybe a bit stiffer, but you sad that 40mm were stiff enougf, and deeper wheels (58mm) will be even more stiff. But at some point it is also not good to have too stiff wheels. Then comfort will suffer too much

hannawald

by hannawald

Agent041 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 10:23 am
LRB23 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 10:00 am

You have 58mm with RD270 as well:
https://www.wheelsfar.com/carbon-spokes ... p0182.html

If for something the CRW would be better, than maybe a bit stiffer, but you sad that 40mm were stiff enougf, and deeper wheels (58mm) will be even more stiff. But at some point it is also not good to have too stiff wheels. Then comfort will suffer too much
Not from my head but their product info says it is just the opposite - because of wider new generation carbon spokes they can use fewer of them and make a wheelset which is stiff but more aero and more comfortable then with spokes from previous generation.

Agent041

by Agent041

hannawald wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 10:37 am

Not from my head but their product info says it is just the opposite - because of wider new generation carbon spokes they can use fewer of them and make a wheelset which is stiff but more aero and more comfortable then with spokes from previous generation.
But if I remember correctly, I think it was Joe on CRW thread that said (regarding the inperfection of the finish of spokes) that only the center of the spoke mattters. Probably meant for construction stability and therefor also stiffness, and not the width of the spoke. And the imperfection does not matter for safety. So the width of the spoke matters then only for aero gains (probably below 1watt) and cosmetic looks.

toxin

by toxin

Not sure if this deserves its own thread but we have the first example of dt swiss carbon spoke hubs https://www.superteamwheels.com/product ... D%E5%88%B6
Attachments
DSC_4527_8b2f7dfd-c1d3-4ab9-ba8c-ef5774a9b72f.jpg
DSC_4523_6b66c0dc-a943-4dd3-b868-22262fe3b124.jpg
DSC_4486_9d727c82-6401-422d-9bba-520e71c3a1d6.jpg

pushpush

by pushpush

Wow. I love these farsport hyper wheels (35mm + carbon spokes). Compared to CRW they are WAY more stiff laterally, which is impressive since the CRW are more stiff than the Rapides before. Using the super scientific thumb gauge they move half as far. :) The CRW I can push the front wheel until the tire just barely touches the inside of the fork. I definitely can not do that with the Farsport wheel. My first test ride on the Farsport set and I PRed every significant downhill segment. The lower profile and extra stiffness make them very confidence inspiring. As expected, flat sections felt like more work. I had a tough climbing day. Very much a me thing, not a wheel thing. I expect the Farsports to shine in this regard when my legs are feeling up to the challenge.

As far as buying another set of wheels that I don't need goes, I'm super happy so far!

I was having overnight air loss from both wheels when I got them. I removed the factory tape and retaped them myself and they hold air exceptionally well now.

Agent041

by Agent041

pushpush wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2024 3:35 pm
Wow. I love these farsport hyper wheels (35mm + carbon spokes). Compared to CRW they are WAY more stiff laterally, which is impressive since the CRW are more stiff than the Rapides before. Using the super scientific thumb gauge they move half as far. :) The CRW I can push the front wheel until the tire just barely touches the inside of the fork. I definitely can not do that with the Farsport wheel. My first test ride on the Farsport set and I PRed every significant downhill segment. The lower profile and extra stiffness make them very confidence inspiring. As expected, flat sections felt like more work. I had a tough climbing day. Very much a me thing, not a wheel thing. I expect the Farsports to shine in this regard when my legs are feeling up to the challenge.

As far as buying another set of wheels that I don't need goes, I'm super happy so far!

I was having overnight air loss from both wheels when I got them. I removed the factory tape and retaped them myself and they hold air exceptionally well now.
Great to hear someone with head-to-head comparison regarding Farsport Hypers and CRW. So my choice was also completely correct. Have 40mm, 24/30, and I absolutelly love them. Have my set now about a month and done +1k km (with mostly short steep hills), and they are still as new.Will be getting also some deeper set as well. And for way less money then if I would get CRW.

eins4eins

by eins4eins

You forgot to mention, that you push some serious watts, in your daily farsports appraisal post.

Agent041

by Agent041

eins4eins wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2024 6:24 pm
You forgot to mention, that you push some serious watts, in your daily farsports appraisal post.
I think I pointed it out once and just to let all know my experiance with these wheels are not exactly with sunday coffe ride. I think it is a big differance, how you ride the wheels, to then make a review of them. I am a racer, and I am not going to apologise for that. But haters gona hate.

Scarpa

by Scarpa

Does someone has more Infos about their RD270 Hub, all i know from now they are using the DT star ratched system right ? If yes what parts are neccessary to convert it with the original DT stuff? I would need more tecnical infos. If someone can help it would be great not just for me :-) Also a link for the parts or all more Infos are great to see.

tiz92

by tiz92

Scarpa wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 12:27 pm
Does someone has more Infos about their RD270 Hub, all i know from now they are using the DT star ratched system right ? If yes what parts are neccessary to convert it with the original DT stuff? I would need more tecnical infos. If someone can help it would be great not just for me :-) Also a link for the parts or all more Infos are great to see.
Its a h works hub (https://h-works.cn/) and basically fully compatible with the old style dt swiss system. At least ratchet, spacer etc. Also the freehub should be compatible but for detail ask them directly.

Scarpa

by Scarpa

Good to know do you have some tecnical sheets? Because with the link i get the hub but no more infos.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com