FARSPORTS DISC CARBON WHEELSET Test & Review

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
mrlobber

by mrlobber

uilewuit wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:23 am
not sure if this question has already been asked:
when comparing all of the offerings Farsports has, why would you buy anything but the gravel wheels?
if you put price and specs side by side, the gravel wheels come out lighter, wider, deeper and cheaper than any of the road offerings.
Is there something obvious I am missing here?
attached a comparison I made with a dt240 hub
Great comparison :thumbup:
Indeed, it looks like the gravel wheels would be the way to go. Now let's see if Farsports (who actually sometimes definitely read this thread) react to that table and adjust their pricing :D
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

velomane wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:56 pm
I'd think the internal width of the gravel rims to be too big for road tire.
partially outdated info?
What you answer used to be the case many years ago. But official Etrto spec for tubeless updated in 2022 allow 28mm tire to be used on 25mm internal width rim.
So, unless you don't consider 28mm tire to be road size, these rims do support road tires... It just has to be 28mm or wider.

harblhat

by harblhat

I've been using Farsports gravel 50mm depth wheels on the road all year with 28mm GP5k TL tires with great success. They blow up to 30mm and match the 30mm rim width quite well. Fast, reasonably light, and cheap. Very happy. The front Bitex 312 hub is squeaking a bit despite disassembly and greasing, so perhaps one of the bearings isn't happy. But that's it.

uilewuit

by uilewuit

uilewuit wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:23 am
not sure if this question has already been asked:
when comparing all of the offerings Farsports has, why would you buy anything but the gravel wheels?
if you put price and specs side by side, the gravel wheels come out lighter, wider, deeper and cheaper than any of the road offerings.
Is there something obvious I am missing here?
attached a comparison I made with a dt240 hub
Screenshot 2022-09-25 at 11.20.53.png
seems like my comparison is already a bit outdated, because Farsports' prices have gone up.
They seemed to have gone up across the board though, so the comparison still stands.

Maddie

by Maddie

To those that have Farsports wheels with RD230 hubs: Do you also experience more squeal from the front disc? Let me tell my experience:

I have 58mm Kaze wheels with RD230 hubs and I always had a very muted squeal when braking with modest brake force. Under heavy braking, no squeal. The squeal got louder during long descents. Then I also had squeal when braking hard. I always thought it was because of contamination and since it was not loud, it didn't bother me too much.
But now I know I can rule out contamination. I was on a ride with my girlfriend and I wanted to do some tests. She rode her SL7 with Reynolds AR58/62 wheels, Ultegra rotors (newest generation) and L03C pads. I was on my Venge with mentioned 58mm Kaze wheels, Galfer rotors and L03C pads when I was experiencing the usual squeal under modest braking. Hard braking: again no squeal. Absolutely no squeal on her SL7 with Reynolds front wheel under any circumstances. During this ride, we removed the front wheels and the rotors. I was riding her Reynolds wheel with my Galfer rotor and she was riding my 58mm front wheel with her Ultegra rotor. The squeal instantly moved over to her SL7 and my Venge was silent :shock: :shock:
That meant the squeal was not related to caliper/brake pads/rotor, but only the front wheel itself.

Until now, this didn't bother me too much. But I received a new set of 45mm Feders with RD230 hubs and the exact same noise happens on this front wheel. But it is a lot louder. Rear wheels are always silent, only the front is affected. I'm not a wheelbuilder, so can't check spoke tension. I also tried 5-10Nm on the thru axle which didn't change anything. I have a very thin coat of Shimano grease on the interface between wheel and rotor. I don't think that this has an effect.
Any other guesses? Am I the only one? Maybe related to the 21 spokes vs 24 industry standard?

RadB

by RadB

Squeal is something vibrating, between pad and rotor, fairly common with sintered pads where the braking system hasn't warmed up or the pads are burnished. Did you leave the old rotors on when you gave them to your gf? Also you said lo3c, it doesn't exist. There's lo3a or lo4c, one is resin, the other is sintered, respectively, with icetech to boot keeping it cool when you prob don't want that. If you have the sintered, I'd try the resin equivalents, without fins too.

Maddie

by Maddie

Great points, thanks RadB. No, we removed the rotors from the wheels in order to make sure that it's not related to the rotors. It means my Galfer rotor that was on my Kaze wheel was moved to the Reynolds wheel.

You are correct about the typo in the pads. We both used resin pads, not the sintered ones. I have some new Swissstop pads at my disposal. Maybe a good idea to try them.

RadB

by RadB

Good stuff. Have you tried her Reynolds front wheel in your bike, with your old rotor and pads.

stevec1975

by stevec1975

I have RD230 Hubs on Feder 45's. I have had no squeal on front and rear since installing

Maddie

by Maddie

RadB wrote:Good stuff. Have you tried her Reynolds front wheel in your bike, with your old rotor and pads.
Yes, exactly that.

Stevec, what rotors and brake pads are you using?

stevec1975

by stevec1975

I use XTR Rotors and whatever pads come on DA 9200 calipers, however, they didn't squeal using old DA calipers and DA rotors either.. Have you tried facing your mounts, any slightly off plane angle may cause vibrations/squealing under hard braking.

matteof93

by matteof93

I am discussing with Farsports about a custom wheelset based on Kaze 45 rims for my road bike...but I am getting worried about rim delamination that I read about in several pages of this thread.
I am 83 kg (183 lbs), I do not ride in a gentle way at all (because I am used to ride a MTB, so I do not slow down unless potholes / speed bumps / manholes are huge), and most importantly I cannot tolerate any risk of failure related to issues such as rim delamination because it might happen in a catastrophic way (i.e., during a high speed descent).

Do you think I should stick with alloy wheels? There is also another important factor: if I spend that much money on a wheelset (800 to 1000$), I expect to use it for a long time (8/10 years, meaning at least 45 thousand km).

chazman

by chazman

No squeals for me, similar to another poster above. However I am wondering how weather-proof RD230 is especially the front hub since the bearings are exposed (although recessed) unlike most other hubs which at least have a cap. Anyone ridden in the rain / muck that ended up with seized bearings?
RD230 front hub
RD230 front hub

timmerrr

by timmerrr

chazman wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:00 pm
No squeals for me, similar to another poster above. However I am wondering how weather-proof RD230 is especially the front hub since the bearings are exposed (although recessed) unlike most other hubs which at least have a cap. Anyone ridden in the rain / muck that ended up with seized bearings?

04B809AD-E23E-4CD1-ADD5-4BE51D6AFADE.jpeg
Yes, I had to replace my front wheel bearings after about 5000 miles and maybe 2-3 rides in the rain. They were completely seized and had side to side play. I went with a sealed stainless bearing as a replacement. Rear wheel is fine.
State Bicycle Co. Undefeated: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=171358

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Turrifik

by Turrifik

timmerrr wrote:
chazman wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:00 pm

04B809AD-E23E-4CD1-ADD5-4BE51D6AFADE.jpeg
Yes, I had to replace my front wheel bearings after about 5000 miles and maybe 2-3 rides in the rain. They were completely seized and had side to side play. I went with a sealed stainless bearing as a replacement. Rear wheel is fine.
Good to know. Which replacement bearing did you get?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk