Vittoria Graphene 2.0

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
GaBa

by GaBa

Mr.Gib wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:54 am
IMO using Corsa Speed would be a terrible decision. I have used them as regular road tires and while there are as tough as any tt tire, they are still relatively fragile and the risk of punctures is high. You will have lots of other riders around you and you won't always be able to choose your own line. Although the roads in the Dolomites are mostly very good, they are not perfect. hitting a small rock or pothole could easily kill the tire. And if you puncture on a descent, very bad things might happen. Are you trying to win the Maratona? If not (and even if you are), there may be wiser ways to save watts. What bike and clothing? Aero optimized? Weight optimized?

My advice - get yourself some Conti 5000 TR. Plenty fast and reasonably durable. And if it's wet roads all day, something from Vittoria would be nice.
Not even close, just trying to set a personal best on the middle course, since that's the only one I did until now :lol: :oops:

Clothing is tight, would use aero socks maybe? Is there any point going into such detail aero-wise for ca. 25km/h avg.? Bike I'd say is semi-aero and reasonably light (not sure about exact weight) - dogma F8 rim on Bora WTOs 45, mechanical (so lots of exposed cables, albeit on integrated handlebar).

I thought that RR might have big impact on performance considering I could gain some W for no additional cost given tires are a consumable. I would not invest in some parts just to make bike a couple of grams lighter.

Thanks guys for your thoughts, appreciate it. I might try Conti, still gain some W over current Vittoria Corsa G+ 2.0 with tubes.
Last edited by GaBa on Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

I agree with everyone's comments above... I've raced a fair number of TT's on Corsa Speeds and while they are very good for that purpose, I would not trust them for general road riding or even crits or road races. There are a few TT's that I do, where you have to park in one location and it is a 8-10 mile ride to the start location and that is always the most stressful ride to get there. They really are so delicate. I also don't think the grip is great when it comes to handling.

I have not been a fan of Continentals over the years, but this year, I spent a lot of time on GP5000's... actually alternating between those and Corsa G+ 2.0''s. The GP5000's really impressed me. They are FAST, they grip good and handle well and I only had one puncture all season, very early in the year when the roads were still covered in debris from the winter/early spring.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

S1inker

by S1inker

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:11 am
I've run Corsa Speeds in races before and I probably won't in 2023 except for a small number of races on very nice roads.
What are you planning on using if you don't mind sharing?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

S1inker wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:34 pm

What are you planning on using if you don't mind sharing?

GP5K S TR 28mm.

S1inker

by S1inker

Thank you!

gizgaz

by gizgaz

Had a serious failure with these tyres whilst doing 40kph. Scared the life out of me as the tyre exploded with a huge bang! Has anyone seen this before?
The fabric that wraps around the "tyre bead" and glues back on itself has come unglued! The tyre bead remained on the rim and sidewall unravelled and allowed the innertube to blow out.

Tyres are 3 y/old, approximate 2500-3000km MAX and in really good condition. Run at 80psi. Dry miles only. Sigma sports, don't want to know as its outside of warranty.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 09.41.14.png
Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 09.41.03.png
Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 09.40.41.png

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

gizgaz wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:48 am
Tyres are 3 y/old,
I've never seen that and I've used those tires a LOT. I think you have the answer in your post.... 3 years old. If you're riding a lot, those tires last 8-12 months at best. I'd say replace high performance tires at least once a year. 3 years old, you're just asking for trouble. Also important to note that some of the hooked carbon wheels are not compatible with cotton casing tires... the edges of the hooked carbon wheels, particularly ENVE (but there were some others too), have a sharp edge that will actually cut the casing is you lean on it in corners over time. It doesn't look like you have that issue though... just looks like the glue has come undone.... have you used it on a trainer at all?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The casing of that tire looks incredibly dry and crusty, but that is still a surprising result. Was the bike stored exposed to sunlight or in a hot shed?

gizgaz

by gizgaz

I used them on a bike for about 6 months but only did about 2500km on them. Not even sure I did that much. Plenty of tread still left on the tyre, which is how usually judge when to replace tyres. The pic is the rear tyre and I must admit I'm quite often let my rear brake lock, so that tread is a little more worn. I've included a pic of the front tred for comparison.
After 6 months I changed to gp5000's and stored corsas in a brick garage that's attached to my house. Not heated, but not too extreme on the temps. Brought them out again 2 weeks ago and put them on my tarmac SL7.
Am I just spoilt by gp5000s lasting years and 8000km plus?
Attachments
BBC0F2D6-2B79-4433-A4E8-B73D9548EDB7.jpeg
415A7AFB-C2A9-48FC-B8CD-F087EC795B18.jpeg
Last edited by gizgaz on Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

gizgaz

by gizgaz

Never used on the trainer.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:27 pm
The casing of that tire looks incredibly dry and crusty, but that is still a surprising result. Was the bike stored exposed to sunlight or in a hot shed?
IMO that casing looks pretty much like any Corsa after moderate use. The casing seems to lose its shine pretty quickly, or perhaps whatever coating is on them degrades quickly once exposed to light, heat, repeated flexing during use, etc. Very noticeable on the tan, less so on the black.

ALSO, IMO, even if dry, crusty, and aged, that type of failure should simply never occur. It's bad glue, or a shit glue job. No excuse for that.

Between me and my wife, we have probably been through 20 - 30 of these tires since first introduced - needless to say we love the ride. We have had mostly good luck, with some of the first edition tires still in use with no issues. But in the big picture the failure rate is too high for something on which one's life might depend. I won't buy them again.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.