New Continental 5000s tires - the CLINCHER (not TL) thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Hi

We've got a great thread going on the 5000S tubeless version, but what about the non tubeless clincher version? TL is great 'n all and becoming more and more popular, but surely there are many, many more 5000S clincher tires going to be sold rather than TL?

The 4000S and then S2 have been my go to tire for years. But it's already becoming hard to find them in all sizes (I use 23's because they blow out to 26.6mm on my wheels, don't need or want wider) but it's now quite hard to find 23's in black. BTW, the "brown" side wall 23's are a different tire than the black 23's, but that's a story for another thread.

So I've been looking at the reviews of the 5000S clincher vs the 4000S2. And in most areas the 5000S is actually a (slight) step back: slightly less puncture protection, slightly less wear / durability, slightly less wet grip.

And perhaps (for some) most importantly, the 5000S is MUCH more expensive. I'm hoping that will correct with time.

The only area of improvement is rolling resistance, which looks very formidable indeed.

That and, maybe, very maybe, weight. Conti claim the 5000S is lighter than the equivalent 4000S when comparing label size with label size, but I reckon what they've really done is just relabel the 23 as a 25 and the 25 as a 28. The old 23 seems every bit as wide (maybe even wider) as the new 25. So really we need to compare the weight of a 25mm 5000S with the weight of a 23mm 4000S. And on that basis it seems that the 4000S is (was) lighter.

But on the whole it's very early days, too hard to say with certainty.

What is everyone finding on the road, what's your real world experience?

Is the 5000S better or worse that the 4000S2?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ducman

by ducman

Sorry, to ask this, but do you know the difference between the brownwall/blackwall gp4000?
(Can buy them cheap in a shop local in 25mm...)

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

You forgot to mention ride quality. I had thought it was all marketing gimmick until I tried it. The 5k is smooth and quiet. It feels like I’m running 20psi less.

The extra speed of the 5k over the 4K is quite noticeable. Conti has hit a home run on the 5k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by pdlpsher1 on Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Friend got some, and let me play with them. 25mm versions. Wanted to try mounting them on some older Campy Neutron wheels, as the 4000sii's were just so damn tight. Well, it's really just a function of those rims... older Campy rims were notoriously harder to fit tires to than a lot of others. Gave up trying to get the Conti 5000's on, but had to give it a try. Went with the Specialized Turbo Cotton 24mm clinchers and they were tight too, but went on. Mostly the rim that was the issue, as I have no problem mounting the 4000's on a new Shamal Ultra for example. The 5000's did feel very nice to the touch, like they would indeed probably be a nice riding tire, but I didn't get a chance to actually ride them yet.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

rides4beer

by rides4beer

I'm currently running 23mm GP4KS2s on 17c rims. They weigh 195g and measured at 25mm (new, prob a lil more now). I'm going to be running 25mm GP5Ks on new 21c rims, hoping they measure up a lil less than 28mm, we'll see. My 25mm GP5Ks weigh 210g each. I'll be running them with Conti Race Light tubes, which is what I use currently with the 4Ks.

Merlin has the best price I've found so far, $100 for a pair with free tubes.

https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/cont ... 29803.html

probertsqbe

by probertsqbe

Probikekit also have a pair on offer cheaper than Merlin cycles for those of you who don’t need the inner tubes

https://www.probikekit.co.uk/bicycle-ty ... xt=default

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

ducman wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:04 am
Sorry, to ask this, but do you know the difference between the brownwall/blackwall gp4000?
(Can buy them cheap in a shop local in 25mm...)
Well I've only had one set of brown, but they seem MUCH narrower than the black. On my Boras the 23mm black come out at 26.6 while the 23mm brown are about 23.1mm. So true to size.

Also the carcass on the brown seems stiffer and has better resistance to side wall damage (a particular vulnerability of the standard black 4000S) and the rubber on the tread of the brown version seems to be a harder compound - less grip (particularly in the wet) but also MUCH less vulnerable to cuts than the black version.

Hope that helps.

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

PS: Ducman, where did you see the brown 4000S in 25mm and what was the price?

I can find brown in 23 but not 25mm. Was thinking of trying brown 25mm 4000S if the price is right since that might measure out similar to the 23mm black 4000S.

ducman

by ducman

Gearjunkie wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:45 am
PS: Ducman, where did you see the brown 4000S in 25mm and what was the price?

I can find brown in 23 but not 25mm. Was thinking of trying brown 25mm 4000S if the price is right since that might measure out similar to the 23mm black 4000S.
These are the tires i was talking about:
https://www.fashionforcycling.be/banden ... looib.html

Only 25mm i think

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

I will be running the gp5000’s clinchers with latex tubes (on carbon rims!!! I am 130lbs in hilly terrain) 23c front, 25c rear (because aero). Will not get to ride them until april, maybe late march... due to snow and salt.

Aerocoach has some interesting data. Margin or aero, but latex/clincher gp5000 may be superior to tubless... either way, both are awesome. For that level of crr, they are pretty gamechanging.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:39 pm
GP5000 lineup comparison up at BRR

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... comparison
And he said with data what i always figured was the case!!!!

“If you want to go as fast as possible, choose your required comfort level and pick the smallest tire that can provide that comfort for you”

Or, for the same comfort level, all tires have the same crr. Give or take i am sure.

But at high speeds, aero is worse with wider tires (low speeds also, but less so).

I will also add my typical criticism of BRR tests in that he runs 94lbs per tire, and fenerally too high a pressure. So he is testing for a 190lbs rider. Fair, but at 130lbs, i can get away for a far smaller tire, and far lower pressure for needed comfort/rim safety.

23c for the win!!! (For me)

Hexsense

by Hexsense

From Silca's test on rolling impedance,
https://silca.cc/blogs/journal/part-4b- ... -impedance
Higher pressure not only give up comfort, but it also is slower when road is less than perfect.

I'd say on quite good road,
if 23c allow you to run lower than 90psi then you might not be faster to go for 25c and drop pressure further. Same for 25c if it is already lower than 90psi then you might not need 28c.
Ofcourse, if the road degrade further then lower pressure is beneficial, and may demand for larger tires.
If you happen to require larger tire and still want aero, then larger rim to match tire width is a good thing to have. Wide tire on wide rim is more aero than wide tire on too narrow rim.

BTW: GP 5000 runs really smaller than 4000sII. My 28c 5000 is only a tiny bit wider than 25c 4000sII. It's a far cry from hugely oversized 28c 4000sII.
If anyone want to replace 4000sII with 5000, and want the same actual width. Consider go up a size.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Pretty good logic. That is what i deduced from the evidence i had. Mtb guys figured it out long ago

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robertbb

by robertbb

Hexsense wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:57 pm
My 28c 5000 is only a tiny bit wider than 25c 4000sII.
On what internal rim size? (what wheelset?)