New Continental 5000s tires - the CLINCHER (not TL) thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Neillp

by Neillp

Titanium22 wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:06 pm
Update:

I've now done around 1500 miles on 25mm 5000's (215g), fitted to Enve 3.4 rims not the AR model.

Front and rear measure 27.7mm

I'm using Tubolito S tubes 23g

I had to play around quite a bit with the pressures I'm now running around 70psi, but they are now comfy, grippy and reassuring. At higher pressure they seemed abit skittish and harsh. I have had no puncture's or pinch flats, no damage, and no shards or flints stuck in them. They still look newish, but the rear has started to square off a little. I weigh 66kg, and often could get 7000 miles out of some Gp4000 sII's with the wear markers just still visible. I'm not sure these will last as long.

The tubes I was sceptical about, but so far so good. They hold air about the same as a butyl 75g Conti race 28 light.

Gp5000 plus tubo S weighs in at 238g. Gp5000 tubeless is 295g + Valve 10g + Sealant 40g = 345g

So GP5000 Tubo S saves you 214g per pair, rolls just as fast, must climb a bit better? At my weight I can get away with 70psi, the same as tubeless, but if you are heavier you may need to go higher than you would with tubeless. No hassle setting up the tyres. No Mess and no sealant to replace. I haven't tried the patches yet, but will update when I one day get a flat.
I have the same setup but at 77kg have to run them above 80psi, it rides really well. As for the durability of the tubes I am not sure, in 1500km I have had one pin hole puncture that repaired no problem and last week I hit a pot hole and got a snake bite on the rear, to be fair it was a very hard hit at 40kph that made a bottle jump out.
If it was a normal tube I wouldn't of bothered to even try to repair it but given the price of my 'orange condoms' as they are called by my mates, I tried a repair unsuccessfully. I will try again but the patches I will use cost as much as a normal tube...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Titanium22

by Titanium22

When these have worn out or if I suffer problems, I will try the new Enve tyres (27s weigh 265g) to match my rims, and try tubeless, or possibly the new Pirelli TLR SL Tubeless (26s weigh 245g).

Both with sealant though or slower and heavier than than the GP5000 with Tubo S.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Sorry if its in here.. but does anyone else find these tires noisey and annoying?? I took off my SWorks Cottons because our roads are just littered with so many rocks that I was flatting.. I put a set of 23s with latex tubes on my Bora Ultras.. the front tire just sounds like a constant whoosey squirmy whistley sound that is really amplified if I stand up and accelerate...

scapewalker

by scapewalker

I was really hyped when Conti released a tan sidewall version of the gp5000 but i just realised it's only the clincher version as far as i can tell.

Am i missing something or is there no tl version with tan sidewalls?

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

scapewalker wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:05 pm
I was really hyped when Conti released a tan sidewall version of the gp5000 but i just realised it's only the clincher version as far as i can tell.

Am i missing something or is there no tl version with tan sidewalls?
There is no TL version, and the tan side wall is only in 25mm. Plus, I believe they're just painted tan, but I'm not certain about this last part.

Lakal

by Lakal

Just received these today from Merlin Cycles . Weight is 216g and 220g.
IMG_20201204_165338.jpg

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

ParisCarbon wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:10 am
Sorry if its in here.. but does anyone else find these tires noisey and annoying?? I took off my SWorks Cottons because our roads are just littered with so many rocks that I was flatting.. I put a set of 23s with latex tubes on my Bora Ultras.. the front tire just sounds like a constant whoosey squirmy whistley sound that is really amplified if I stand up and accelerate...
I'm actually having the opposite experience, but our specifics may be different.

I just took off 26mm Sworks Turbos (non-cotton), and replaced with GP5k 25mm's that have had about 500mi worn in on them from another build. Vittoria latex inner tubes on Enve 4.5 SES. (front is 18.5mm inner width, little wider than the Ultra's 17.4mm's, I think).

My front tire is noticeably dead quiet compared to the Turbos. I just serviced my entire drivetrain so the chains and gears are also dead silent, which should amplify any tire noise. However, I know what you mean about squirmy high-pitched whistles. I recall GP4k's used to be very squeaky, especially if they were fresh out of box and I'm climbing on a very specific type of tarmac. I also ran 23mm's on 17mm internal rim widths back in the 4k days.

I'd chalk it up to either: tires need to be worn in, road conditions, tire pressure, our tire & rim-width differences, or some combo.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

maxim809 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:27 pm
ParisCarbon wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:10 am
I'm actually having the opposite experience, but our specifics may be different.

I just took off 26mm Sworks Turbos (non-cotton), and replaced with GP5k 25mm's that have had about 500mi worn in on them from another build. Vittoria latex inner tubes on Enve 4.5 SES. (front is 18.5mm inner width, little wider than the Ultra's 17.4mm's, I think).

My front tire is noticeably dead quiet compared to the Turbos. I just serviced my entire drivetrain so the chains and gears are also dead silent, which should amplify any tire noise. However, I know what you mean about squirmy high-pitched whistles. I recall GP4k's used to be very squeaky, especially if they were fresh out of box and I'm climbing on a very specific type of tarmac. I also ran 23mm's on 17mm internal rim widths back in the 4k days.

I'd chalk it up to either: tires need to be worn in, road conditions, tire pressure, our tire & rim-width differences, or some combo.
They went quiet.. must have been the road surface.. I didn't really like them to be honest.. the Turbo Cotton's feel more "lively" to me.. I picked up some Corsa Graphene 2.0 on sale to try out, but the temps dropped and now I won't be able to try them til April.. hello Tacx Neo... my new friend for at least 4 months...

AMGRoadster

by AMGRoadster

I am late to the party. Not sure what others have said or their positions. My experiences with the Conti 5000's is that they are the worst tires I have ever tried. I will never order one of this sh** piles again. I purchased 4 tires. I have never gotten more flats on any other tire. I ended up tossing 1 tire at 300 miles and another at 700 miles due to the number of flats. I have never experienced this with any other tire.

AMGRoadster

by AMGRoadster

I am late to the party. Not sure what others have said or their positions. My experiences with the Conti 5000's is that they are the worst tires I have ever tried. I will never order one of this sh** piles again. I purchased 4 tires. I have never gotten more flats on any other tire. I ended up tossing 1 tire at 300 miles and another at 700 miles due to the number of flats. I have never experienced this with any other tire.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Funny, I've never had a flat what so ever. Since they are all coming from the same place, maybe it's the road you are on? Maybe, just thinking out loud.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

frequent flatter in my area are those who overinflate their tires to over 95psi.

I rarely flat with GP5000 25c front and 28c rear at 63-70psi.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

It appears that AMGRoadster's opinion on these tires hasn't changed since July.
AMGRoadster wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:10 am
My experience with the GP5000s is that they are pretty much the worst tire I have ever owned. No traction in the wet, not a good ride, and more flats than I have ever experienced. It is like continental looked at the GP4000, tossed out everything good and decided to call the garbage a new tire I will never again purchase GP5000s. This is the first time I have ever tossed tires with ~400 miles.

Neillp

by Neillp

Lakal wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:41 pm
Just received these today from Merlin Cycles . Weight is 216g and 220g. IMG_20201204_165338.jpg
Those are tan wall but not the limited Tdf ones?
Didn't even realize they made them, not even on the conti website?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lakal

by Lakal

Neillp wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:40 pm
Lakal wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:41 pm
Just received these today from Merlin Cycles . Weight is 216g and 220g. IMG_20201204_165338.jpg
Those are tan wall but not the limited Tdf ones?
Didn't even realize they made them, not even on the conti website?
Yes, and you can get them in 28mm.
I haven't seen this version for sale anywhere else.
Canyon have some pictures of the new speedmax on their webpage with this version of tyres.