Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
mrlobber

by mrlobber

Received delivery of LB UFO TL disc, ordered early November 2022. DT350 Shimano 11sp, sunflower side pattern, 1087g.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

txg

by txg

mrlobber wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:37 am
Received delivery of LB UFO TL disc, ordered early November 2022. DT350 Shimano 11sp, sunflower side pattern, 1087g.
Can you show some pictures? I ordered exactly the same for rim brake end of November.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gshb

by gshb

Received my AR25 custom build. DT240 24H/24H 36T, CX-Ray spokes, brass nipples, extra carbon layup reinforcement, access holes. Weight with valves and tubeless tape: 1168g.

Erwin

by Erwin

Here are mine: https://www.lightbicycle.com/photowall/ ... heels.html

I have to wait a few weeks until they arrive. Really light with a CX-Ray/Sprint mix at the rear and I am curious how the Hypersmarts are. Looking forward to build up the Ostro and these wheels help keeping the weight with that porky frame low.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

txg wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:16 pm
Can you show some pictures? I ordered exactly the same for rim brake end of November.
Well, you better be not suprised if there are some issues.
As good as the LB spoked wheels have been for me (and others I know), I'm now in the process how to send the disc back / get a refund. The disc has terrible wobble, like 2-3mm to each side, as if the sidewalls aren't mounted straight on the hub. It has a "QC OK" sticker to it, but I wonder what quality procedures are there to let something like that out of the factory.
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

txg

by txg

mrlobber wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:16 pm
txg wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:16 pm
Well, you better be not suprised if there are some issues.
As good as the LB spoked wheels have been for me (and others I know), I'm now in the process how to send the disc back / get a refund. The disc has terrible wobble, like 2-3mm to each side, as if the sidewalls aren't mounted straight on the hub. It has a "QC OK" sticker to it, but I wonder what quality procedures are there to let something like that out of the factory.
Uh, that does not sound good at all!

Would you mind posting updates on how the refund process is working out? I hope that i will have better luck. I ordered end of november and already received the front wheel (R88) which looks pretty good so far (haven't tested outside yet). They haven't even started to build the UFO yet but mailed me that they expect to ship it mid-february. Hopefully they can sort out their issues until then.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Here is what they wrote to me:

===============================================================
UFO disc wheel applies advanced “Hollow” structural design (Same as DT Swiss’ ARC 1100 disc) that combines the wheel with the tire as a whole system. It is only when the tire is properly installed and inflated with a certain air pressure to bump up right in bead seat, the wheel is forced by the tire SITTING IN BEAD SEAT CORRECTLY to get into the true situation that is ready for riding.

I checked your wheel's QC report, there was no problem after pumping up the tire. May we have your patience please to have the full processes done from the begining again? It is 100% the same processes as what you should do with any conventional wheels before riding: You need to install the tire correctly and pump up to a reasonal PSI, it is better to up to 120 PSI the first time for this wheel.
===============================================================

I'm not an engineer, but to me it just doesn't seem to make sense, does it? Especially after the tyre installation actually nothing changed.

txg

by txg

I've never heard anything like this, but i also have no experience with disc wheels so far.

Maybe just do as they say and try again? Are you absolutely sure that your tire was installed correctly when you tried the first time? When i installed the Corsa Speed on my R88 i had some wobble as well because the tire wasn't seated completely, which was pretty hard to see when not rotating. It took a lot of air pressure and some hand force to get it to slide in completely. Maybe it helps to put some soapy water on the bead to make the process easier.

If this shouldn't help i would send them a short video of the problem as the next step, with installed tire and a pump that shows 120 PSI.

Jasonlelam

by Jasonlelam

txg wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:51 am
I've never heard anything like this, but i also have no experience with disc wheels so far.

Maybe just do as they say and try again? Are you absolutely sure that your tire was installed correctly when you tried the first time? When i installed the Corsa Speed on my R88 i had some wobble as well because the tire wasn't seated completely, which was pretty hard to see when not rotating. It took a lot of air pressure and some hand force to get it to slide in completely. Maybe it helps to put some soapy water on the bead to make the process easier.

If this shouldn't help i would send them a short video of the problem as the next step, with installed tire and a pump that shows 120 PSI.
I heard some DT Swiss disc wheel customers were sent video of the wheel with tire fitted and inflated running well before dispatch. So it is good to ask Light Bicycle to send similar video for you before wheel shipped out to keep everything right which seems more controlable in advance (You also could see how to follow the said proccess with them). They are very nice to accept customers' requests.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

In my case, I currently have a 28mm TC with latex tube installed, and the wobble still persists. By feel, it's slightly less pronounced when the wheel spins fast, but becomes again really obvious at slow speeds. So we'll see.

Here's a link to video file (24Mb), how it looks:
https://drive.proton.me/urls/8FB4VZ4PEM#dIZxuyItfAhU

polpy

by polpy

mrlobber wrote:In my case, I currently have a 28mm TC with latex tube installed, and the wobble still persists. By feel, it's slightly less pronounced when the wheel spins fast, but becomes again really obvious at slow speeds. So we'll see.

Here's a link to video file (24Mb), how it looks:
https://drive.proton.me/urls/8FB4VZ4PEM#dIZxuyItfAhU
Wtf, this looks dangerous and absolutely unridable.

Aeo

by Aeo

Can you mount a tubeless tyre and see if it changes anything
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

Erwin

by Erwin

txg wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:51 am
Ouch, I heard from it and I think I have also read it before I bought a Roval 321. But it only affects the dishing of the "rim"/tire. At correct pressure the tire dishes correctly 1mm in a certain direction. I have measured my Roval 321. At one point it is 0,7mm out of true and if you look really accurate then you can see it. Never noticed it while driving.

But in your video there is really, really a lot of movement. The pressure at the rim beads is bigger if a tubeless tire is mounted, but I can not imagine that this disc will ever come true by only inflating a tire to a certain pressure level. Send them this video and ask for a quick replacement or refund.

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

Anyone have thoughts on how to decide between Falcon Pro vs Falcon?

Pro seems like the better rim on paper, but unsure about the wavy looks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

maxim809 wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:52 pm
Anyone have thoughts on how to decide between Falcon Pro vs Falcon?

Pro seems like the better rim on paper, but unsure about the wavy looks.

Only some Falcon Pros are wavy. The "Pro" signifies the use of improved materials and layup.