Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
trackflack

by trackflack

QuackMD wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 8:44 pm
I'm currently deciding between the AR45 and AR55 rims for my Giant Propel but I can't seem to make up my mind. Given the Propel's aero shape, the AR55 would be a good match but I am worried about the crosswind stability. Having limited experience with deep carbon wheels, I was hoping some of you could help me. If you were in my shoes, which rim model would you pick and what would your reasoning be?
Deeper is faster!

Factor50

by Factor50

Factor50 wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:36 pm
Waiting on a set of AR25 which I've just specced and ordered. Built with Carbon Ti hub and flyweight carbon spokes. Anticipated weight of 959 grams (+/- 3%) which will probably knock about 700 grams off my wheelset and probably closer to 1kg once I factor in lighter cassette, tyres and rotors which kind of blows my mind!

Feedback so far is that the sales team were super responsive and helpful whilst I specced the wheels and figured out what worked best for me. I'd always recommend getting in touch as the sales team are able to help spec wheels which I wasn't able to create using the website.

They've been bought with Fred Whitton and Etape du Tour in mind. Solely focused on weight saving rather than aero as there's very little flat road on either of those parcours. Will be interested to see how well they pair with my Ostro and what weight I can get the bike down to. I'm toying with a coupe of extra weight saving bits (seatpost, bottle cages, pedals) but also planning to keep some of the stock parts such as the handlebars which suit me well.
So I thought I ought to come back and provide some feedback now I've had my AR25s for a few months.

Firstly - the actual weight: 963.4 grams (so well within spec and insanely light!) The bike is appreciably lighter with these wheels on - I have my Facto Ostro (size 56) down to 6.89kg with these wheels on (and some other exotic parts).

Ride feel - I've now completed amongst other things the Paris Nice Challenge and Fred Whitton riding these wheels and I'm super happy. I thought I might end up giving away some performance on the flat with the shallow rims, but I was able to hang in a paceline with no issues and with the wheels being so light and stiff they get up to speed nice and quickly. They came into their own on the Fred Whitton where gradients were regularly north of 25% and the stiffness and lightness made climbing feel easier than my heavier wheels. We also had some pretty blustery winds towards the back end of the ride and people I was riding with did mention their wheels being caught by the gusts, which I didn't experience. The 24mm internal rim width means my 28s (GP5000 s tr) blow up quite big which gives a nice comfortable ride and confidence on long wet descents (I'm a nervous descender in the wet at the best of times).

Build quality - They come up on par with my Black Inc and Rovals from what I can see (though I'm no wheel expert). I love the Carbon Ti hubs too - nice hub sound and good engagement. Too soon to comment on longevity vs my Black Inc wheels which I have ridden all through 3 winters in some crap weather, though they did make it through a week in the Italian Alps battling rain and snow and so I'm hopeful they have the same build quality/weather resistance.

Given the price, you can't fault them. I was initially looking at some Enve 2.3 or some DT Swiss Mon Chasserals which were 3x the price and I genuinely don't think I'm missing out on anything other than the brand.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DouglasDDX

by DouglasDDX

Unfortunately my rear AR25 wheel didn't hold up very long on gravel conditions. Must have been some rock flying or something during the race..

I don't know if its just bad luck or if they actually are too light for gravel..

LB offers 25% as crash replacement but I havn't decided yet what to do. My reynolds gravel wheels have been through several wars but there is nothing on them.
Attachments
20240612_185735.jpg

Hensem

by Hensem

Factor50 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:47 pm
Firstly - the actual weight: 963.4 grams (so well within spec and insanely light!)
Which spokes do you use on this wheelset?

Factor50

by Factor50

Hensem wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:50 pm
Factor50 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:47 pm
Firstly - the actual weight: 963.4 grams (so well within spec and insanely light!)
Which spokes do you use on this wheelset?
I specced them with LB Flyweight Carbon Spoke (Regular Edition-Bladed) Black straight pull. I couldn't do that via the website though, I chose my specs going back and forth with one of the customer service agents who was super helpful. I've copied the specs below:

AR25d Hybrid Hook UD Paintless Disc 24H External Hole With Drain Holes With Access Holes 5 Years
AR25d Hybrid Hook UD Paintless Disc 24H External Hole With Drain Holes With Access Holes 5 Years
HUB-F Carbon-Ti X-Hub Black 12 / 100mm straight pull Center lock 24H
HUB-R Carbon-Ti X-Hub Black 12 / 142mm straight pull Center lock 24H 56T Shimano Road 11S
SPOKE LB Flyweight Carbon Spoke (Regular Edition-Bladed) Black straight pull
NIPPLE Sapim Aluminium Black Polyax Double Square Secure Lock External
No decal,

jdms2k

by jdms2k

Sorry to hear about the rock damage. I was looking to get those rims for gravel and now I'm hesitant.

How comfortable and responsive are those wheels on gravel with the super light and shallow rims, but stiff carbon spokes?

goroldM

by goroldM

DouglasDDX wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:47 pm
Unfortunately my rear AR25 wheel didn't hold up very long on gravel conditions. Must have been some rock flying or something during the race..

I don't know if its just bad luck or if they actually are too light for gravel..

LB offers 25% as crash replacement but I havn't decided yet what to do. My reynolds gravel wheels have been through several wars but there is nothing on them.
Were these the standard AR25 or did you have any additional carbon reinforcement for them?

DouglasDDX

by DouglasDDX

Standard AR25 with Sapim CX-ray

cjm

by cjm

trackflack wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 2:59 pm
QuackMD wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 8:44 pm
I'm currently deciding between the AR45 and AR55 rims for my Giant Propel but I can't seem to make up my mind. Given the Propel's aero shape, the AR55 would be a good match but I am worried about the crosswind stability. Having limited experience with deep carbon wheels, I was hoping some of you could help me. If you were in my shoes, which rim model would you pick and what would your reasoning be?
Deeper is faster!
I had the same decision when building up my MY21 TCR, and ended up going for a set of AR55, they are fine in crosswinds, if it is gusty you do feel a bit of a push but it's never been a big issue, and I live on the West Coast of Scotland near a wind farm :lol: You could always have 45 front and 55 rear...
Last edited by cjm on Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TidyDinosaur

by TidyDinosaur

DouglasDDX wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:47 pm

Looks like a fairly thin layer of carbon on the spot of the damage...

boots2000

by boots2000

I have to give a shoutout to Light Bicycles.
I just did a 5 day gravel stage race where I would call the conditions extreme. My WR40 flyweight wheels took everything without a blink. Still perfect, never flatted. And these wheels are a couple years old.

MarcelW

by MarcelW

For the AR 25 (24 IW, 29,2 EW) the recommended max pressure is 70psi. What tire width would you recommend for me? 28, 30 or 32?
I was planning on running GP5000 28mm with latex inner tubes for a road bike. I'm 64kg. But I'm worried that is too narrow for the wide rim?

https://www.lightbicycle.com/AR25-disc- ... etric.html

kode54

by kode54

DouglasDDX wrote:Unfortunately my rear AR25 wheel didn't hold up very long on gravel conditions. Must have been some rock flying or something during the race..

Not sure I would use the AR25 as a gravel wheelset. This is on my Aethos as a climbing wheelset.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

kode54

by kode54

MarcelW wrote:For the AR 25 (24 IW, 29,2 EW) the recommended max pressure is 70psi. What tire width would you recommend for me? 28, 30 or 32?
I was planning on running GP5000 28mm with latex inner tubes for a road bike. I'm 64kg. But I'm worried that is too narrow for the wide rim?

https://www.lightbicycle.com/AR25-disc- ... etric.html
I’m using 30mm Conti 5K str.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

kode54 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2024 1:49 pm
DouglasDDX wrote:Unfortunately my rear AR25 wheel didn't hold up very long on gravel conditions. Must have been some rock flying or something during the race..

Not sure I would use the AR25 as a gravel wheelset. This is on my Aethos as a climbing wheelset.
+1.
And from the picture, it looks kind of weird, not only there's a hit, but also a big scrape, that must have been some big friggin rock you rolled over that hit the rim ! Not just a 3-4 cm thing...

Louis :)