Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
RyanG

by RyanG

Hey guys, looking for advice on LB wheelset. I plan to run GP5ks in 25c. Would also like to have the option of trying out 28c. I want to follow 105 rule. Could I do this with LBs 28mm wide offerings? I plan to run with inner tubes. I would go for their 30mm wide wheelset but don't want to go deep as 56. On another note.. Farsports has a 30mm wide wheel in a depth I like but the internal diameter is 24mm, would a 25c GP5k be fine on that? What would you guys go for? Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Your ideal setup would be something like 21mm internal / 29mm external. 28mm external would be the next best.

I weighed the same options, but then realized I was going to run 28mm most of the time anyway. At this point I'm mostly on 23mm internal and at least 31mm external.

RyanG

by RyanG

I wish 29mm was offered from either! If I knew I could safely run 25c on the Farsports (30mm OD 24mm ID) I would get them, but even updated charts say No. My best option could be to go with the AR56 (30mm wide and ok with 25c), I may enjoy the depth. I'm close to getting a 28mm wide LB offering but see some saying even 25c are close to breaking 105.. if I knew it would comply I'd pick that and just not expect aero performance if/when trying 28c.

Jasonlelam

by Jasonlelam

RDY wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:03 pm
Jasonlelam wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:00 am
I understand "light weight" but is it too crazy ??? https://www.lightbicycle.com/newsletter ... -life.html
It's probably less dodgy than extremely light weight hookless or hooked clincher rims. The more concerning thing is a pre-order campaign being labeled 'crowdfunding' by a well established player in the rim and wheel business.
Yahh, they should make things more clearly or so. But I understand now the info given is for the very early phase.
Attachments
light bike.png

RDY

by RDY

Jasonlelam wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:19 am
RDY wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:03 pm
Jasonlelam wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:00 am
I understand "light weight" but is it too crazy ??? https://www.lightbicycle.com/newsletter ... -life.html
It's probably less dodgy than extremely light weight hookless or hooked clincher rims. The more concerning thing is a pre-order campaign being labeled 'crowdfunding' by a well established player in the rim and wheel business.
Yahh, they should make things more clearly or so. But I understand now the info given is for the very early phase.
I think if they'd said that straight off the bat and called it a provisional pre-order, it would have been much better.

gudo

by gudo

I ordered a pair of AR55s and was sent these pictures by LB, asking me if it's alright to ship them in this condition. As I know very little about wheels, carbon layups and so on, could someone point me in the right direction as to what to check on these wheels? Thanks :)
Attachments
1.JPG
5.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG

otnemem

by otnemem

Looks fine to me, but light reflexes on what is basically naked carbon is like 4K footage of a teenagers facial skin - look closely at your own risk.

Mortecouille

by Mortecouille

Is it new for LB to ask if they can send the wheels after showing the pictures? What if there is a problem after receiving? "but we showed you the pictures!"
Sorry for my english

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Mortecouille wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:20 am
Is it new for LB to ask if they can send the wheels after showing the pictures? What if there is a problem after receiving? "but we showed you the pictures!"

They're just doing it as a courtesy.

Jasonlelam

by Jasonlelam

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:22 am
Mortecouille wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:20 am

They're just doing it as a courtesy.
Yes, sometime even you do not opt for it, they will still send so if the order is not in a rush to go out.
Attachments
LIGHT BIKE.png

jlok

by jlok

My custom build got a wrong lacing and I spotted it bcos LB had sent me the photos before shipment. It could save time when sh1t happens...
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Paopawdecarabao

by Paopawdecarabao

Does anyone have a picture of what it looks like of the AR25 with crystal painting? I've ordered the crystal painted option but was advised they can't do the laser engraving decal because it is subtle with the glossy finish.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The laser engraving is super subtle indeed. You can barely see it even when you're staring straight at it.

kode54

by kode54

Subtle. Yes. When the light hits it, you can see the difference in tone/texture. I don’t mind if it’s there or not. Sharp and clean laser etching. Image
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

ziocomposite

by ziocomposite

Purchased these last year but didn't get a chance to try them till now. Front WR50/28GPStr and Rear WR65/30GPStr with DT350 18T

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com